Pumping Watefrom a Creek

Help Support CattleToday:

ABrauny

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to lease some pasture that has a creek running through the middle, by law and good water quality sense I need to fence off the creek and will need to pump water from the creek. Seeing as I know next to nothing about pumping water from creeks can anyone help me out on what kind of pump to look for and some good ways to hide it so some clown doesn't find it and steal it? Thanks a ton.

if you have any fall in the creek the cheapest way is with a ram....but has to have fall...

I have posted on other threads aobut my solar pumping.

posted something last wek in response to someone and naturally my system quit....but it has been at least two years since I have been down there as it took me three hours with the bush hog and chain saw to get to the pumping plant and panel....when you don't graze stuff it grows up fast. My system is on my late neighbors land and it is not grazed where my system is.....my 12 volt time had failed. new one ordered. will put a new battery in whil working on it.

We do the exact same thing. I take a 5 gallon bucket dill a LOT of half inch holes in the bottom half of the bucket, wrap the bucket in a screen type material, like on a screen door, to keep out debris. Put pump on bottom of bucket. Submerge 1/2 of bucket in the water, or howevr you can get the bottom half of the pump to be submerged in water. Then I run an extension cord to the pumps power cord, threw top of the bucket, turn it on and it works great. Used this to irrigate the garden, fill up our large swimming pool and pump water to a tank for cattle. Not at same time of course. And its a rather small pump. Any other ?s just ask. Hope this helps

M. Brauny, can you provide a little more information? How much water do you need to pump from the creek (irrigation? fill water trough?, etc). How high do you need to lift the water (how high from creek to pump and from pump to where you need the water)?

If you don't need a lot of water, in the 1 to 3 gallons per minute range to fill a water trough and you don't need to lift the water more than a couple of feet then the solar pump Mr. Angus suggested will work just fine. On the other hand if you want to irrigate a hay field then you're talking about a 100 to 200 GPM @ 60 PSI centrifugal pump driven by a 60 HP engine or electric motor. Or somewhere in between. You might also consider getting a centrifugal pump and hooking it up to your tractor if your water demand is intermittent.

Depending on your requirements you might expect to pay anywhere from a couple hundred bucks to several thousand.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

I pump 40 feet vertical and over 800 feet distance with a shurflo pump that I paid 89.00 for......
but it all depends on the amount of water you need.....I don't need a lot and only run mine an hour per day.....

You guys talking about: a car battery, solar charger, and 12 volt shurflo pump? Never thought of that set up before. How many gallons a day are you pumping?

If you don't have too much lift or run useing nose pumps will work too. I think they will do 20 feet of lift and about 200 feet of run. I have a couple set up on a fenced off creek. It is only about 40 feet of run and 4 or 5 feet of lift. I have been using them for 5 or 6 years. They work great. As a safe guard I do run two of them because if something fails you are out of water immeadeately. Cows pump their own water. If you have current but no fall and sling pump will work too.

Someone gave me a 24 volt solar battery charger a couple years ago. They wanted me to put it on my horse trailer. I was afraid with it being 24 and the trailer being 12 that it would ruin the electronics in it some how. Does anybody know if it would work for this application. If it will, I'm already set up to pump. Got a couple sureflo pumps sitting around.

I'm pumping water for cows. I would about 300 gallons of water per day, i don't know how many feet of lift it would be but it couldn't be more than 8 feet and not more than 20 feet of run as long as I could move the pump as I rotated the cows.

Bigfoot":2ducj06x said:
Someone gave me a 24 volt solar battery charger a couple years ago. They wanted me to put it on my horse trailer. I was afraid with it being 24 and the trailer being 12 that it would ruin the electronics in it some how. Does anybody know if it would work for this application. If it will, I'm already set up to pump. Got a couple sureflo pumps sitting around.

the two are different....
just like a six volt system is different from a 12 volt....
or like 120 is different from 240 in ac.
should be a simple matter to step it down in voltage though.

or you can get a 24 volt pump.....

ABrauny":1s93oo18 said:
I'm pumping water for cows. I would about 300 gallons of water per day, i don't know how many feet of lift it would be but it couldn't be more than 8 feet and not more than 20 feet of run as long as I could move the pump as I rotated the cows.
The system that i described earlier fills my 275 gallon holding tank up for the cows water. it travels maybe 100 ft with no problem. It takes roughly 4 hrs or so to fill up. I have it set on a timer like you would use for your lights for the house at xmas time. I have it kick on a few hrs before i get off work then shut off 4 hrs or so later, so when i get home ive got cold water ready to take to the cows.

And these little sureflo pumps hold up to continuous use for an hour or more at a time, for extended periods of time.

mine has been running about 18 to 24 mos...and the time crapped out but when I manually switched it on the pump picked up and started pumping.

ABrauny":3vzrq563 said:
A nose pump would do that easily. I have mine on a sled. Just pull it to the next location and toss the intake into the water. A few quick pumps by hand to make sure it is flowing and you are set. I have been running 30 pairs every summer for the last 6 years or so on nose pumps with no repairs or up keep. Cows provide all the power and I think they like doing it.

I use a 12v bilge pump for a boat and a good 12v batt. The tank is 20' away & 3-4' uphill. It will fill a 150 gal. tank in 15 min. I use a 1" hose and recharge the batt. once a week.

Bigfoot":35bk5qn8 said:

If you got two pumps, you could wire two 12v batteries in series for 24v and use your solar panel. Just wire one pump to the first battery and the other pump to the second battery, so each pump is only getting 12v.

midniteplowboyy":d835k7fq said:
Bigfoot":d835k7fq said:

If you got two pumps, you could wire two 12v batteries in series for 24v and use your solar panel. Just wire one pump to the first battery and the other pump to the second battery, so each pump is only getting 12v.

great idea.....that is the sort of innovateive thinking that makes me love this board. :cowboy: :clap:

I never thought of that either. That's probably the type application this thing is for any way.

Here's a link to one (of many) solar pump systems. The pump itself is going to be your least expensive part of the system. The solar panels range in price from $300 to well over $1000.
www.solar-electric.com/

You might give one of these folks a call and tell them your application and they can fix you up with a system that will work for you.

Good luck.

Latest posts