pulling dead calf out of cow

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
well having to pull a dead calf out of a cow .so far they had the legg out of her.good thing is she isnt to ripe yet.goodthing she didnt fight going into the corral.i hope it dont take them long.scott

ive been back and forth taking stuff.an yes its the 1st time i havent been out there doing stuff. so yes i was lazy tonite.scott

Sorry to hear about your loss.

A while back, we called the vet out to pull a mis-presented calf. It was backwards and the cows pelvis was rotated (genetic). He pulled a live calf, but he told us a story while he worked. He said that very morning a guy brought a cow in that tried to calve 5 days prior.

While he spent 2 hours pulling this dead calf, he thought about my husband and I. He said he wished more people were like us and checked cows daily. Funny part was not a few hours before we called the vet my husband was complaining that we worried too much about the cows and "normal" people didn't check cows but once a week.

Bigbull - I'm not implying anything about you with that story. This was the first live calf of 5 or 6 that the vet pulled for us. I know how frustrating it can be to lose one. We were lucky to catch that one. We work full time in town and rarely see the cows before we leave for work.

bigbull338":ud6dagp9 said:
ive been back and forth taking stuff.an yes its the 1st time i havent been out there doing stuff. so yes i was lazy tonite.scott

Hmm..not exactly the image you've led us to believe with all your other posts. Not sure they could drag me away if somethng like that ever happens around here. If something goes wrong, I want to be there to know about it first hand.

Haven't had to assist a calf in a long time, just ben real lucky I guess, though we have a Hereford heifer that is getting pretty big and I'm starting to worry about her when calving time comes next month.
Even when we both work out one of us, usually me, musters the herd morning and night, though we only maintain 16-24 head at a given time and it only takes a half hour to feed and
inspect the lot of them...gives a piece of mind that we haven't overlooked anything. DMc

last nite was the 1st time i wasnt right with them.an yes i know my business b/c if i didnt i wouldnt be posting here.the only thing ill call a vet for is c-sections.hard pulls big calves backwards calves we do ourselves.scott

bigbull338":1ndet97i said:
last nite was the 1st time i wasnt right with them.an yes i know my business b/c if i didnt i wouldnt be posting here.the only thing ill call a vet for is c-sections.hard pulls big calves backwards calves we do ourselves.scott

probably to the point of ... been there done that... nuttin i can do about it. done it lots in the past, so i dont have to be there.. just tell the help.. fellers, get the calf out.. let me know how it turns out.. no big deal, just get it tended to.

jt

I've been there with having to cut a calf out of a cow. We raised Chianina club calves in the 80's. We had a full blood bull and every once in a while he threw a big one. One year it happened 4 times, we lost 3 out of the 4. I worked 12 hour days for my wife's grandpa on the farm and then came home and worked another 3 -4. I always worried and checked them morning and evening and when calving checked them twice at night.

Bobg

Had to call the vet out for a first calf heifer Friday afternoon that had a dead calf and couldn't deliver. The calf came out in pieces back to the hips. The vet couldn't reach the last part which was the hips and back legs, he said to bring her into the office the next morning and if he still couldn't reach them he would have to do a c-section. He said he didn't think she would live through one that afternoon as the temp was in the high 90's and she was already extremely hot and tired from all the fighting with us and the working on her. Long story short went out the next morning and she was dead also, probably as much from overheating as anything. So lets see 1 dead calf, 1 dead heifer and a $220 odd dollar vet bill, ya I'm in it for the money.

yall are right ive seen alot.but that doesnt mean i dont care.ive never worked off the farm an dont intend to.if my memory is right.havent had to pull but maybe 3 calves in 6yrs.1 was a c-section $350. scott

Latest posts