pulling calves

Help Support CattleToday:

daniel.carver

Reaction score
Hi everyone :wave:
I am trying to get ready for the calves. I have 5 heiffers that I'm concerned about. I stopped by & asked the vet about pullers. The OB chain is one of the questions. I have researched on here, & it's difffcult to locate info. I know that there is a specific way to wrap the OB chain around the legs. And to watch for the cow to arch when it is pushing. I watched the vet perform this last year, but still nervous. Is there any pictures & descriptions on CT that I can use? I see alot of post w/problems during calving season & am gettin info there also. (Thanks for sharing.) I'm looking for descriptions, picture would help to. Thanks to all. Dan.

I am no expert, but there are some videos on youtube that may be useful. I just bought some chains myself today. I have 7 that should be having their first calves soon. So I figure if I buy all the stuff, I will not need it! Well atleast I hope that is case.

good luck. Seems to be a lot of good help on here.

A couple of things that frequently don;t get mentyioned is if you have to reach inside more then an half a hands length wear shoulder length OB gloves, keeps the irritation of the tissues down so there will be less swelling. The other is when you're trying to pull by hand to wear clean jersey gloves, surprising how much more traction you can get.

OK, Thanks for the replies.
I did no know about the handles. I have not gotten the puller as of yet. I wanted to ask here first. I'll look at the feed store to see if they have the handles. Now why are you lubing them up? And am I supposed to reach in and get as much on as I can? I know this sounds like a newbie, because I am. It's taken me 5yearsto build up to 15. I'm the guy that when the sale barn runs 5 in, I win the bid & say that I only want the red one. They've gotten used to it though. I could not open the slide show, computer showed it to be damaged. So i'm going to youtube. Thanks Dan

Lubing helps to reduce friction. If you have to reach in the first thing you do is feel around. You want two feet and a head. Anything else i would recommend calling your vet until you get more comfortable. The hooves should be pointed upwards. Downwards and you have a problem. IF they are down, most likely backwards. Then you have to feel around and make sure you get the tail coming with the legs....so much to learn...

A tip i can give you is, when you pull a calf which is coming out normal, just before you reach the hips of the calf, change directions and pull the calf down towards the cows legs. The shift in direction more often than not pops the hips out. Gravity...works the best

We have always pulled downward as the cow pushes.

Now the chains have that open link at the end and you slide the chain through it making a loop. Now I put those around my wrists because if you are alone, they are there and you're not trying to find them and get them ready.
I put the chains above the hoof and dew claws on the leg. Now some guys have been getting the nylon straps.
Hook the handles onto the chains and put some traction on it. Pull as the cow pushes.
Now if it is easy all you need to do is get the head and shoulders out and the rest of the calf will just come out.
We have had them hip lock and we give the calf a 1/4 turn and for us that gets the rest of the calf out, but had a cow years ago have the calf get hip locked and go nuts and she ended up killing the calf. That was once since the 1940's.

We have the rachet type of puller. Hubby worked on a place with the cable puller and he didn't like it as much.

Remember Dan the only stupid question is the one not asked.

I luv herfrds":32p9wd68 said:
We have always pulled downward as the cow pushes.

Now the chains have that open link at the end and you slide the chain through it making a loop. Now I put those around my wrists because if you are alone, they are there and you're not trying to find them and get them ready.
I put the chains above the hoof and dew claws on the leg. Now some guys have been getting the nylon straps.
Hook the handles onto the chains and put some traction on it. Pull as the cow pushes.

Remember Dan the only stupid question is the one not asked.
ILH
you don't put a half hitch on the leg below where the first loop is
I have always done that so when pulling the chain doesn't keep tightening around the leg and digging in plus it gives 2 pressure points on the leg and keeps the first loop from slipping and tearing hide off of the leg
just asking as I have always done it with the loop and a half hitch and everyone I have ever seen has done i that way

Millerranch":3hlwkljo said:
I am no expert, but there are some videos on youtube that may be useful. I just bought some chains myself today. I have 7 that should be having their first calves soon. So I figure if I buy all the stuff, I will not need it! Well atleast I hope that is case.

good luck. Seems to be a lot of good help on here.

That doesn't apply to pulling calves - you'll have to pull them whether you're ready or not . . . might as well be ready :lol: .

Personally I use very light duty nylon ratchet / tiedown straps. I make a loop that will cinch tight above the ankles when I pull. That way, I can get one leg at a time if momma keeps sucking the calf back up - or if the calf hasn't come into the birth canal yet, I can usually get the loop around one leg at a time while it's still in the uterus. Finally, if push comes to shove - no pun - I can wrap the strap around my waist and use my full body weight and leg strength (as opposed to having to hold anything with hand strength) to apply a really slow but strong, firm, downward pressure.

Luckily I haven't had to pull one in several years. I platted 4 strings of baling twine together and made a calf puller...also keep a come along handy. Have used liquid soap as a lube too.

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO!! :D
I am nervous & excited about this, Thanks for all the info. I found pics on you tube, which really help. The only thing is that (read several articles) the OB chain placement. Above the ankle & half hitch above hoof. Know heres the question. the chain where it comes from the ankle to hoof should be on top or bottom of hoof? The articles described both. The videos (where you could see) the chains were on top. I hope i'm not being to vague.
About Margret. it took about 6 days to get her to take the holestien calf, after that it was all down hill. Sold the calf at sale barn to help repair wife's car.
Again thanks, you guys & girls are great. Dan :banana:

daniel.carver":2uwnvuve said:
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO!! :D
I am nervous & excited about this, Thanks for all the info. I found pics on you tube, which really help. The only thing is that (read several articles) the OB chain placement. Above the ankle & half hitch above hoof. Know heres the question. the chain where it comes from the ankle to hoof should be on top or bottom of hoof? The articles described both. The videos (where you could see) the chains were on top. I hope i'm not being to vague.
About Margret. it took about 6 days to get her to take the holestien calf, after that it was all down hill. Sold the calf at sale barn to help repair wife's car.
Again thanks, you guys & girls are great. Dan :banana:
I personally don;t worry about if it's on the front of the leg, the back og the leg or the side. I have enough trouble getting them on that anywhere is fine with me

Look at a diagram of the pelvic bone of a cow and think of how you would have to pull a calf over and out this bone. While looking at this also think about the shape of the calf and its structure and particularly how it can bend. This should give you a good idea of when to pull up on a calf and when to begin pulling down. Take your time, don't panic, wait on the momma to do her job and assist her when she does. Use common sense and everything will be fine. Oh, and BTW don't be too anxious to help. Sometimes its better to leave and just come back in an hour or so.

Latest posts