Protein

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
With the help of Google, I got this...

Cattle called "corn-fed," "grain-fed", or "corn-finished" are typically fattened on corn, soy, and other types of feed for several months before slaughter. As a high-starch, high-energy food, corn decreases the time to fatten cattle and increases carcass yield.

So corn is high energy, used to finish cattle.

That is part is easy for me to understand.

Crude protein is an estimate of the total protein present in a grass. Protein forms the building blocks of muscle and its components are used in every system of the body. Crude protein is positively related to the digestibility of a grass and, in general, as crude protein increases, so does livestock performance (e.g. weight gain, milk production, etc).

What is the primary source of added protein? Beyond grazing, what is a good source of protein? Not asking which supplement, or about tubs. What is a good source of protein beyond those things?

Thanks

I use Ddgs as a protein supplement. I either feed it by itself or mixed with ground ear corn.
Not sure if that is what you are asking or not.

HDRider":2obztj4s said:

Cattle called "corn-fed," "grain-fed", or "corn-finished" are typically fattened on corn, soy, and other types of feed for several months before slaughter. As a high-starch, high-energy food, corn decreases the time to fatten cattle and increases carcass yield.

Crude protein is an estimate of the total protein present in a grass. Protein forms the building blocks of muscle and its components are used in every system of the body. Crude protein is positively related to the digestibility of a grass and, in general, as crude protein increases, so does livestock performance (e.g. weight gain, milk production, etc).

What is the primary source of added protein? Beyond grazing, what is a good source of protein? Not asking which supplement, or about tubs. What is a good source of protein beyond those things?

Thanks

Brewers grain fed free choice and DDG

HDRider":16nntcvx said:

Thanks

HD in your and my neck of the woods most commercial feeds manufactured for cattle would use cottonseed meal as the primary protein source. You do however have a lot of by-products that have good levels of protein and are very digestible. Wheat middlings, rice bran adn corn gluten feed are just some of the many. Alternative protein sources may be canola and/or sunflower meal. Corn or milo is usually used as the primary source of starches and energy. Cattle of all ages need certain levels of protein for growth but a higher percentage of gain comes from the energy levels of the feed. Stockers will do much better on a 11-14% feed with a high energy level than a 25% feed with a lesser energy level and it will cost much less to feed. No matter what you feed or how much you feed keep in mind that forage (grazing and/or hay/or silage) should always be the primary ingredient in the ration adn you build the feeding program around that.

Feeding horses etc. is a whole nuther ball game.

10-12% protien hay(haygrazer has been my best luck), cottonseed as long as it is not a breeding bull, brewers grain, They sell the basic breeders cubes here 2o% at $7. $6 for 15% calling cubes. My cows will maintain well on just the haygrazer. Add any of the above and they do better. But I dont need FAT cattle now.

HD - you were quoting info on FEEDLOT cattle. The soy is the protein used in your info. Once steers reach about 800# ?? the protein level of corn (9%) is all they need. They need hay/grass to keep their rumen working properly.
I'm surprised no-one used soy as a protein source example?? Am I behind time????

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2z43mdws said:
HD - you were quoting info on FEEDLOT cattle. The soy is the protein used in your info. Once steers reach about 800# ?? the protein level of corn (9%) is all they need. They need hay/grass to keep their rumen working properly.
I'm surprised no-one used soy as a protein source example?? Am I behind time????
Jeanne in the south cottonseed meal is the primary protein source for cattle feeds. Not quite as high in crude protein as soybean meal but still 41%, highly digestible and usually more cost effective than bean meal. Soybean meal down here is used primarily in horse, swine, poultry and some dairy rations.

TexasBred":2hzkj9k8 said:
HDRider":2hzkj9k8 said:

Thanks

HD in your and my neck of the woods most commercial feeds manufactured for cattle would use cottonseed meal as the primary protein source. You do however have a lot of by-products that have good levels of protein and are very digestible. Wheat middlings, rice bran adn corn gluten feed are just some of the many. Alternative protein sources may be canola and/or sunflower meal. Corn or milo is usually used as the primary source of starches and energy. Cattle of all ages need certain levels of protein for growth but a higher percentage of gain comes from the energy levels of the feed. Stockers will do much better on a 11-14% feed with a high energy level than a 25% feed with a lesser energy level and it will cost much less to feed. No matter what you feed or how much you feed keep in mind that forage (grazing and/or hay/or silage) should always be the primary ingredient in the ration adn you build the feeding program around that.

Feeding horses etc. is a whole nuther ball game.
Tab all he has to do is ride south a few miles and I'll fix him up with ddg or gluten, whichever I have on hand.
He 80 or so miles from me.

Latest posts