Protein tub and mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
does say a 24% protein tub have enough minerals for 200lb calves that will grow to 500lbs.....If not what mineral should i feed them???? thanks

Depends on the tub. Some have nearly no minerals and vitamins others are higher in them.

Dixieangus":1l3hhw8p said:
does say a 24% protein tub have enough minerals for 200lb calves that will grow to 500lbs.....If not what mineral should i feed them???? thanks

Dixie it all depends on the consumption rate on the tub and the amount of vitamin/mineral fortification in the tub. In theory they are suppose to but sometimes I wonder. There are tubs out there that are much lower in potein (if any) and promoted as vitamin/mineral tubs.

unless it states it is a mineral tub it probably doesn't, read the label for sure if you are looking for a good one.
we use mintrate 30 tubs that have minerals and a 30% protein supplement by ADM they work very good with forage.

jcarkie":2vlpfg0w said:
unless it states it is a mineral tub it probably doesn't, read the label for sure if you are looking for a good one.
we use mintrate 30 tubs that have minerals and a 30% protein supplement by ADM they work very good with forage.

BUT you still don't know if they're eating as much as they should and if they're getting all the vit/min they should. They'll always get some. Most protein tubs recommend free choice mineral be avaiable as well to discourage overeating in an attempt to satisfy mineral need. Same for salt.

Latest posts