Protein tub

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Our pastures are very hilly.
Great for unrolling hay but I got really tired of chasing the protein tubs.
Trying to drag a 200 lb tub up hill was just too much for me to handle.
So depending on which protein tub I'm using I just throw an old tire down... works great.
This particular one took a 20-in tire. I just go to the local tire store and ask for a crap tire.

IMG_20230208_074144256.jpg

Pilots hate chasing round bottles rolling around in the cockpit. Jack Daniel's offered a solution. Why can't tubs be made square?
Remind me not to fly with you............

True story. We were all tied in on helmet IC and just took off on our way from Marble Mtn up to Khe Sahn to pick up a sling load of 155 ammo to take out to some gawd forsaken lz in Laos when the HAC asks co-pilot
How much'd we drink last night?
Left seat said Uhh, I dunno, I think we split a fifth..
HAC says My fuzzy math isn't working too good this morning. 5 divided by 2 equals 2 1/2 fifths?
Left seat: Sounds about right.

Crew chief clicks in. Boys, we might wanna pick up our guns and spend the day at Khe Sahn...
(
Khe Sahn wasn't a nice place even then)

Both pilots turned around and looked back at us, slowly shaking their heads..... NO..
such was life in early 1971..

Our pastures are very hilly.
Great for unrolling hay but I got really tired of chasing the protein tubs.
Trying to drag a 200 lb tub up hill was just too much for me to handle.
So depending on which protein tub I'm using I just throw an old tire down... works great.
This particular one took a 20-in tire. I just go to the local tire store and ask for a crap tire.

View attachment 26024
I saw your post and thought this was a clever idea, so I had an old fire laying around and got it out but it was to small of a rim size, set an old tub up on it and marked it with a piece of chalk around the tub size. Took my saws all and cut just out side the chalk line. Carried it to pasture and set a new tub in it. That was 3 days ago and so far they have been licking/eating the mineral but the tub hasn't moved. Before, I like you, was every day turning tub on the side to rolling it 60 feet back to where I wanted it to stay. Thanks for the tip.

If you are feeding a protein tub because your pastures don't have enough protein, the cattle will definitely benefit from the tubs.
If you are feeding a tub for MINERALS, you are spending a lot of wasted money. My nephew is a dealer for BioZyme because I couldn't get the minerals I wanted for the herd. He has carried all the different tubs. Does NOT recommend the mineral tubs. They are CONVENIENT, yes. You get about 2 bags worth of mineral in a tub and costs as much as ? like 4 bags of mineral. I've heard his speech, but don't remember exactly how many.