Protein/Mineral Tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

mikew":3uhl6afs said:
I am in Indiana and my cattle are suffering from protein deficiency. Does anyone know if this is reversible? Also any feed back on RangeLand 30-13 Tubs to help with this problem

My experience with Rangeland products is not good and I would call it junk. They will eat those tubs like candy and will be too expensive to feed. Forage Star makes a good tub and MLS seems to be good too. They are high but consumption is low because they have to lick them and cant eat them.

Sweet-pro has worked well for us. Last winter we fed CRP and supplemented with sweet pro tubs and beet tailings. The tubs were around $80 for 250lbs. If I remember right the price was on a sliding scale with corn prices. The company delivered the pallet via "speedy-delivery".
http://www.sweetpro.com/beef.html
I found myself happier with these then the Rangeland tubs I had used previously. Seemed like the rangeland tubs were gone in no time and I seen little to no improvement in the cattle. Plus these at the time were cheaper and heavier.

The first post indicated a urea tub. No one has mentioned "no horses". Just thought I would to be safe. Horses don't/can't digest urea with only a single stomach. Good Luck.

If you buy a liquid feed or a tub with lots of water in it, it really doesn't matter. It still has the percentage of protein etc as the label states. Water is just the carrier, just as some other feeds have a carrier of grain dust etc

We have been using the 250 lb tubs this winter, i think they are 24% protein from our local farm store (Orshelons).They are about fifty bucks each, plus feeding them all the hay they want. All our cows look good and the calves are almost fat. I think they look just as good as last year when we were feeding cubes every other day. We also have more and better quality hay this year. Mostly i think they help with vitamin and mineral supplementation.

Phil in Tupelo":37r82obj said:
The first post indicated a urea tub. No one has mentioned "no horses". Just thought I would to be safe. Horses don't/can't digest urea with only a single stomach. Good Luck.
You can see horses licking those lick tanks with high urea levels in the liquid all the time. Urea "can" be harmful to horses but in most situations they simply can't eat enough of the product to get a lethal dose of urea.

we wont buy lick tubs with urea.an we never bought dairy feed with urea in it.if we tryed a new feed an it had urea in it.that was the last of that feed we fed.

TexasBred":1cdmpw46 said:
Phil in Tupelo":1cdmpw46 said:
You can see horses licking those lick tanks with high urea levels in the liquid all the time. Urea "can" be harmful to horses but in most situations they simply can't eat enough of the product to get a lethal dose of urea.

TB if the horses were worth a couple of grand it would kill all of them. but since you can't give horses away nowdays it won't kill any of them.

M5farm":qsvhg9d2 said:
TB if the horses were worth a couple of grand it would kill all of them. but since you can't give horses away nowdays it won't kill any of them.

It never killed them when they were valuable.

mncowboy":2atsk953 said:
Sweet-pro has worked well for us. Last winter we fed CRP and supplemented with sweet pro tubs and beet tailings. The tubs were around $80 for 250lbs. If I remember right the price was on a sliding scale with corn prices. The company delivered the pallet via "speedy-delivery".
http://www.sweetpro.com/beef.html
I found myself happier with these then the Rangeland tubs I had used previously. Seemed like the rangeland tubs were gone in no time and I seen little to no improvement in the cattle. Plus these at the time were cheaper and heavier.

We use the sweetpro tubs too. The cattle stay in good condition. Price is higher, but the product is better utilized by the cattle as opposed the the other products using molasses and urea. Just be sure to monitor consumption so that you can select the correct tubs for the types of conditions your cattle are in. They will certainly over consume a low protein tub when in harsh conditions.

bigbull338":3m2ys54z said:
we wont buy lick tubs with urea.an we never bought dairy feed with urea in it.if we tryed a new feed an it had urea in it.that was the last of that feed we fed.
That's fine. It only cost you about $10 a ton more for all natural with no better milk production than the feed with the urea. Your loss.

I've always been told that cows do better with a little urea . I've never lost a horse to a tub . ( couldn't be that lucky) . My horses eat the exact same hay in the winter the cows do and no feed . I think people baby horses to much .

I like the MLS tub the best have tried several different brands I know stay away from the soft ones they eat those like a fat kid eats cake but the MLS work good never had trouble with the horses either but they got to expensive and I went back to liquid syrup cheaper and I haven't noticed any difference in my cows

Latest posts