poplar leaf protein

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
ive been thinning out poplars in the woods and letting the cows eat the leaves. they always come running for them and i was just wondering if anyone knows how much crude protein they have for feed value, im just curious really :nod:

TexasBred

Reaction score
MtnCows93":22x1p9g7 said:
ive been thinning out poplars in the woods and letting the cows eat the leaves. they always come running for them and i was just wondering if anyone knows how much crude protein they have for feed value, im just curious really :nod:
Mtn. I have no idea but never seen a cow didn't like tree leaves. Doesn't seem to matter what kind.

OP
MtnCows93

MtnCows93

Reaction score
TexasBred":3odhrrfa said:
MtnCows93":3odhrrfa said:
Mtn. I have no idea but never seen a cow didn't like tree leaves. Doesn't seem to matter what kind.
your right they like it all, its like candy

Ebenezer

Reaction score
Carried cows through a drought one time by thinning out sweetgums. Got to be a problem of trying to get trees cut without cows getting hit.

OP
MtnCows93

MtnCows93

Reaction score
Mat Man":25z3ccrt said:
Just do not thin the black cherry trees till the leaves fall off if you have them .
yea man i have several, last year i had to wait till december before the leaves were all gone before i could cut

chevytaHOE5674

Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon the kid and I were in the pasture dumping out a bale of wet hay for the cows when we decided to push over a few pesky aspen trees. By this morning they have the leaves stripped off everything they can reach and even saw a few heifers jumping up and pulling branch's down while others ate the leaves. Must be something good because they are choosing it over a nice field of trefoil and clover.. haha

greybeard

Reaction score
I've seen them reach up and get a mouthful of those prickly American Holly leaves too. That's gotta hurt tho..