Heat mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE

Reaction score
Been considering using Vitaferm heat mineral. Currently using Wind and rain fly control (flies are the worst I've ever seen). Does the heat mineral work as advertised?

Meant to put this in health & nutrition, but we'll go with it here.

Cant tell you really anything definitively but i use vitaferm heat in the summer and concept aid in the winter and my cows did good. Whether it works and if there is a difference from other minerals i dont know. Kind of like an insurance policy and i can get it locally not much more then the cheap stuff.

Been considering using Vitaferm heat mineral. Currently using Wind and rain fly control (flies are the worst I've ever seen). Does the heat mineral work as advertised?

We have used it with two year old, first calf heifers trying to give them every advantage. That group has fewer face flies and noticably less stress during the hottest days. It is pricey, but if we continue to have better conception rates as well, I think it is worth the investment.

I used it last summer for the first time. I had a few yearlings get pinkeye last year, but not major problems. This was the first pinkeye I've had in over 5 years. Not sure if any of that was the mineral or other things. I will use it again this year. I use Concept Aid over the fall, winter and spring months. Heat over the summer. It sure has a smell to it!

Which Wind and Rain? The plan W&R, W&R with Altosid, or W&R with Altosid and Avail?
Just the regular old Wind & Rain plain. Last delivery of ConceptAid was $32 a bag as I recall. I think Heat is priced about the same. Some dealers mark it up alot. My dealer moves a lot of volume, so doesn't mark it up so much.

The last time I priced just plain W&R I could get it for around $27/bag. I use W&R with Altosid and Avail plus this year I got a VFD for CTC. Ton price worked out to $37/bag. But that's still cheaper than open cows.

My nephew is now a dealer for BioZyme. I could not find anyone to purchase Concept Aid - finally found my feed dealer where I get my bulk whole shell corn. He ordered it in for me. $45/bag - ouch! That's when nephew decided to be a dealer. We switched to the Heat as weather got warmer. We notice the body of the cows has quite a few fly's but very few on the face. We don't have extreme heat here in NY.
Love the Concept Aid.

I really like it works as advertised. Here we can get the regular Heat mineral or the Heat with IGR. During breeding season I use their Concept Aid mineral it really tightened up my calving season the first time I used it. Their product is worth the money in my opinion.

I started using a block with Justifly but switched to Rabon block because they ate the justify block like it was candy. The Rabon block lasts about what I would expect for the proper dosage. It also worked really well. There were still a few flies but just like five to ten on each animal instead of the hundreds. Unfortunately, I had to switch pastures and the neighbor doesn't do fly control and my heifers spend a lot of time right up against his fence. The flies are back to dozens instead of just a few.

I

I wanted to kick my conception rate up and wanted to use vitaferm but also wanted some extras in it. My local co op matched my ingredients which I borrowed off of concept aid. I also added garlic to it for fly control. Great luck and increased fertility. Vitaferm knows what they are doing. Flies are way down due to the garlic and cheaper to have the co op mix it in with my mineral than adding it as a stand alone additive to mineral.
$840 per ton prior to Mar 1 2021.

Amaferm is made from aspergillus oryzae, which you can buy, or you can just use some kind of yeast product. Don't know if the fermentation aids are worth it for grazing cattle, being the rumen ph is higher with green forage, which already promotes good bacteria? Feedlot it maybe more viable.

Latest posts