Protein Tubs- Baked vs Poured, Your Preference and Why

Help Support CattleToday:

It's extremely expensive. Beef cattle can be very productive without it.
Tubs are a huge expense to start. I do not use them but we need to know the benefits and the disadvantages as a whole. With tubs: Buy a lot of urea protein (over 7%) and you waste money, buy low fat and you do not help cow condition, buy with bypass fat and you improve conception and cow BSE... Anyhow, it's just money! Or we can just be dumb and happy.

Tubs are a huge expense to start. I do not use them but we need to know the benefits and the disadvantages as a whole. With tubs: Buy a lot of urea protein (over 7%) and you waste money, buy low fat and you do not help cow condition, buy with bypass fat and you improve conception and cow BSE... Anyhow, it's just money! Or we can just be dumb and happy.
You bring up a good point. Most people here have no idea what they are buying in a tub. They tell me they are feeding tubs and I say what type. They reply oh, the yellow ones. I say we'll what's in it and they say they don't know but the cows like it.

I commented on the post about by-pass fat not tubs. But since you brought it up don't knock urea. It's a good product. There is more to putting condition o a cow than raising crude fat in slow consumption rate tub cooked or poured.

You bring up a good point. Most people here have no idea what they are buying in a tub. They tell me they are feeding tubs and I say what type. They reply oh, the yellow ones. I say we'll what's in it and they say they don't know but the cows like it.

Cows like them that's as far as most people seem to think, I watch them go by on the road every day at work. Nobody I've talked to about them have ever went much deeper then the cows like them, they're also usually hauling bags of cubes also. I tried one once and my cows weren't into it, a different tub they may have been.

I've fed several different products and have settled on 38% cubes because I can control the intake and feed every second day and could be stretched to every third day. I usually don't start feeding in the fall until I feel they may be losing condition a bit. One bunch made it to mid Dec. on stockpiled bermuda before the got any cubes and a couple of weeks longer before they got any hay.

I commented on the post about by-pass fat not tubs. But since you brought it up don't knock urea. It's a good product. There is more to putting condition o a cow than raising crude fat in slow consumption rate tub cooked or poured.
No knock on urea but folks need to know that only a base amount can be utilized by the cow and the rest goes out the rear. Most livestock feed is toted based on protein levels but what most livestock need more in the winter and on poor forages or feed is a bit more fat. Feed sales are often encourged to offer more protein than needed as a plus. It is merely a non-returning expense. But the first biggie in discussing tubs is always protein. Almost false advertising, but not, just like feather meal in dog food is "high protein" but the dog can never digest it. Just a tad of realism, only.

Keep
No knock on urea but folks need to know that only a base amount can be utilized by the cow and the rest goes out the rear. Most livestock feed is toted based on protein levels but what most livestock need more in the winter and on poor forages or feed is a bit more fat. Feed sales are often encourged to offer more protein than needed as a plus. It is merely a non-returning expense. But the first biggie in discussing tubs is always protein. Almost false advertising, but not, just like feather meal in dog food is "high protein" but the dog can never digest it. Just a tad of realism, only.
in mind that tubs are fed to supplement low quality gay. A higher protein is needed. The amount of urea you quoted in the tub would only have the cow consuming less than 2 oz urea per day. Less than half what most would consider maximum.

2 corn 1 CSM 1 Salt.
Mine would root it all out of the trough with that much corn to chase.
The meal has a little well ground corn it it but not much, I'd guess 5% or less

This is what I've fed for years to supplement poor quality purchased hay

Range Meal 2 in 1
26% min crude protein
1.5% min Crude Fat
12% min crude fiber
35% max 30% min Salt
Ingredients
Plant protein products, Salt, Roughage products, Silicon Dioxide, Mineral Oil

They eat 2.5-3.0 lbs/day

Latest posts