tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

So I have fed cystalyx tubs in winter when feeding poor quality hay. Specifically, BGF-30 tubs (30% CP, with max 12%NPN). These are very expensive tubs...I believe around $110 for a 250lbs tub. The second ingredient is hydrolyzed feather meal. Is this an inferior product? Many of the crystalyx products list hydrolyzed feather meal as the main protein source, especially the higher CP products. Others list processed grain byproducts as the main protein source.

Are the BGF30 tubs a poor quality tub due to the feather meal? Would a person be better off purchasing a lower protein tub with a different protein source?

I bought some Ragland tubs on clearance from Rural King for $15.00 apiece this spring, and decided to save them to supplement late summer, poorer quality fescue. I've had them out for a month at two small pastures, one with 10 cows and a bull and seven big calves that are ready to wean, another with 13 cows and a bull and they've each went through approx. a tub each (I set two out at each place). They also have high quality loose mineral at all times which I think keeps consumption of tubs down. I've used tubs alone in the past and they ate me out of house and home.

my last farm i think i had to pick up over 200 of those green tubs that the previous people just set out and never collected.

fasttommy":2vgh3anc said:
So I have fed cystalyx tubs in winter when feeding poor quality hay. Specifically, BGF-30 tubs (30% CP, with max 12%NPN). These are very expensive tubs...I believe around $110 for a 250lbs tub. The second ingredient is hydrolyzed feather meal. Is this an inferior product? Many of the crystalyx products list hydrolyzed feather meal as the main protein source, especially the higher CP products. Others list processed grain byproducts as the main protein source.

Are the BGF30 tubs a poor quality tub due to the feather meal? Would a person be better off purchasing a lower protein tub with a different protein source?
Not necessarily a "poor quality tub" but you can definitely buy higher quality ones....The price you quoted for a tub using feather meal AND urea seems to be a bit high though as both ingredients are used to lower cost.

"Interestingly, when NPN constituted 40 percent or less of the ruminally degradable protein in the supplement (i.e. not more than about 10-percent equivalent crude protein from NPN in a 38-percent crude protein, cottonseed meal-based supplement), replacing ruminally degradable true protein had little effect on body condition change. These findings demonstrate that more costly protein sources can be replaced without affecting body condition, as long as NPN supplies less than 40 percent of the ruminally degradable protein when the supplement is fed daily to gestating cows. Research from Kansas has indicated that when supplements fed to gestating beef cows contained as much as 60 percent of the ruminally degradable protein as urea (i.e., 14-percent equivalent crude protein from NPN in a 30-percent crude protein supplement), there was very limited influence on subsequent calf performance. When supplementing prepartum cows, a conservative target NPN level is 25 percent of the ruminally degradable protein, which would be approximately 33 pounds of urea per ton in a 28-percent crude protein cottonseed meal-based supplement or 43 pounds of urea per ton in a 38-percent crude protein, cottonseed mealbased supplement. The example (table 1) shows that a relative savings in supplement cost of 8 to 12 percent may be achieved when urea replaces 25 percent of the ruminally degradable protein in 28- and 38-percent crude protein supplements formulated using cottonseed meal, wheat middlings, soybean hulls, molasses and urea. It is important to note that limited research is available specifically evaluating NPN inclusion in supplements to beef cows after calving or during the breeding season, so caution should be exercised when formulating NPN-containing supplements for lactating cows. Nevertheless, a conservative target level of NPN in protein supplements to postpartum cows grazing lowquality forage is 15 percent of the ruminally degradable protein. In the example (table 1), this NPN level is achieved by including urea at 20 and 25 pounds per ton in 28- and 38-percent protein supplements, respectively, to yield cost savings of 5 to 7 percent. This would be about 2.9- and 3.6-percent equivalent crude protein from NPN in the 28- and 38-percent protein supplements, respectively."

"Level of urea fed. Low levels of urea are utilized more efficiently and with less problems than high levels."

Ebenezer any thoughts on this tub by a local dealer? thanks farmguy

PURINA® RANGELAND® 38 HI-E TUB

Ebenezer":16rcyph8 said:
"Interestingly, when NPN constituted 40 percent or less of the ruminally degradable protein in the supplement (i.e. not more than about 10-percent equivalent crude protein from NPN in a 38-percent crude protein, cottonseed meal-based supplement), replacing ruminally degradable true protein had little effect on body condition change. These findings demonstrate that more costly protein sources can be replaced without affecting body condition, as long as NPN supplies less than 40 percent of the ruminally degradable protein when the supplement is fed daily to gestating cows. Research from Kansas has indicated that when supplements fed to gestating beef cows contained as much as 60 percent of the ruminally degradable protein as urea (i.e., 14-percent equivalent crude protein from NPN in a 30-percent crude protein supplement), there was very limited influence on subsequent calf performance. When supplementing prepartum cows, a conservative target NPN level is 25 percent of the ruminally degradable protein, which would be approximately 33 pounds of urea per ton in a 28-percent crude protein cottonseed meal-based supplement or 43 pounds of urea per ton in a 38-percent crude protein, cottonseed mealbased supplement. The example (table 1) shows that a relative savings in supplement cost of 8 to 12 percent may be achieved when urea replaces 25 percent of the ruminally degradable protein in 28- and 38-percent crude protein supplements formulated using cottonseed meal, wheat middlings, soybean hulls, molasses and urea. It is important to note that limited research is available specifically evaluating NPN inclusion in supplements to beef cows after calving or during the breeding season, so caution should be exercised when formulating NPN-containing supplements for lactating cows. Nevertheless, a conservative target level of NPN in protein supplements to postpartum cows grazing lowquality forage is 15 percent of the ruminally degradable protein. In the example (table 1), this NPN level is achieved by including urea at 20 and 25 pounds per ton in 28- and 38-percent protein supplements, respectively, to yield cost savings of 5 to 7 percent. This would be about 2.9- and 3.6-percent equivalent crude protein from NPN in the 28- and 38-percent protein supplements, respectively."

"Level of urea fed. Low levels of urea are utilized more efficiently and with less problems than high levels."
Nice cut and paste but is true only in a low energy, high forage diet. Urea efficiency is increased significantly in a high TDN, high starch diet.

Latest posts