protein blocks and tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

I always have out tubs and minerals. The older cows and growing calves seem to do alot better since I started keeping the tubs out year around. If they need it then its there for them.

Medic24":tke3tv2v said:
I just wonder if Southern States or Purina makes a very good supplemental mixing formula for grinding with our corn that stands above the rest?

Purina Accuration is a limiter/supplement that they mix with ground corn. I don't have any real data from personal experience yet. We're trying it this year on the calves we just weaned (replacements and bull calves). I know Sydney411 had real good luck with it. I went to a day long seminar on it two weeks ago and the rationale/data they presented looked good. According to Purina costs should even out when compared with traditional supplementation (like duh!, what would you expect them to say). Don't know if it would help with your cow herd but it's an option.

By the way, wife asked this weekend if I ever missed the mountains. It reminded me of my dad. He always said when he got old he was moving to the flatlands. Sure am glad I don't have to climb around on those rocks these days but I imagine it's getting ready to be real pretty up there.

Lee

Yes, I did have real good luck with the Accuration - It has to be fed properly to do what it is intended to do, though. Here are the hiefers I reaised on the accuration. Sorry I'm not good at taking pics with my crappy camera. These heifers have stayed in better condition then others I raised before using the accuration, they are calving their 2nd calves right now, all are still in great condition. There heifers are gelveih and right at 13 mts old in the pic. Sorry the pic is so small, I can't seem to get it to post any bigger.
51.jpg

We have fed Accuration 2HL this summer to our heifers. They have done very well on it. They eat less than 1 pound to 2 pounds per day. Intake has been variable with temperature and grass quality.

One thing for us, allows smaller heifers to eat along side bigger girls. Don't know if that makes sense. Accuration should always be in their trough. They come by throughout the day and get a snack. Since feed is always in trough there is no rush to get the feed when it is put out.

Farmgirl

Hope it works for us. I haven't heard any negatives. We're actually weaning now on the Purina IMPACT program. I took the calves straight off mama and grass and moved them onto the IMPACT starter. We're only 3 days out but they don't look like they've missed a beat. Consumption is right about where it should be and my eyeball says they're gaining (or at least not losing). We'll weigh again at one, two and three weeks to see. The Impact is dang pricey ($0.14/lb) but I sure like having them on a self feeder. I'll keep them on the starter for 21 days (or until I run out of feed) and then pencil the numbers and see if it was worth it or not. I'm committed to the Accuration anyway on this bunch. Interesting thing to me about the Impact is that it has the roughage blended in (I guess it's similar to the Purina Equine Senior formula) so you feed it as the only feed source. We'll see.

Lee

Latest posts