protein blocks and tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle":1xw54c7n said:
if you know the herd and the vet so well name them. I will be glad to call the embryo collection service and prove that this cow didn't calf 20 out of 22 eggs. i will be glad to provide who I use. it is ultimate genetics owned by camp cooley ranch. they were named the 2004 seedstock producer of the year.
Name dropping has never impressed many people in the purebred cattle business.

plbcattle":tgritoc6 said:
I have a bull that is going to sell out of one of my best donor cows that will probably bring $20,000-25000 as a 18 month old.

And you know this for a fact or are you trying to impress someone??

la4angus":33zgiz8k said:
plbcattle":33zgiz8k said:
I have a bull that is going to sell out of one of my best donor cows that will probably bring $20,000-25000 as a 18 month old.

And you know this for a fact or are you trying to impress someone??

La4 quite bantering with this guy all this bragging has impressed me. Not.

I have gotten several emails from longtime users of this board and told me to drop this issue because they said some people are going to get it and others aren;t. I am wasting my time. this topic got way off base so this will be my last post on this issue. I would like to summarize my points for those of you who took them off base.
1) donor cows need a little extra energy because they are ask to do more than an oridinary range cow.
2) stating who I use as my AI and ET work is not droping names it was simply stating the source for my information on donor cows and recip preg rates.
3) To the person who questions the price of an upcoming bull, The price is what the various sale managers have got from people who will be in attandance and who can't make it to the sale. that is what they are willing to pay for the bull, so at the least that is what he will go for.
4)feeding protein blocks is not feeding a cow 10 pounds of grain a day, putting out protein tubs is not pampering cows.
5)some of you who say you have cows that make it on grass alone also say you have show cattle. I know your show cattle are pampered. if they aren't feed a special diet then your aren't very competive in the show ring.
6)by stating that I try to average $2000-$4000 on cattle sold, that is not the accross the board average. some cows and bulls don't make the cut and get sold for a lot less. the above figure is my top end registered cattle that make the cut out of Ai and ET calves.
7) In the future, if you are going to make bold and outrageous statements be willing to provide proof(my brothers cousins sisters vets daughters cow had 9 calves at one time doesn't count) I had factual information from a leading ranch and genetic center and I cited this. That's not name dropping
I hope this clears this topic up and puts this to bed. we don't have to all use the same practices. I justed wanted to know what others thought of using protein blocks.

Newbie here with 40 head of cattle in North Florida. The past year has been an unbelievable challenge working with these cows. First, my partner with the "Big Idea" to have cows is 72 years old and was raised when it was open range country. Guess who's caring the bags of feed? The property we started with is nothing but woods...50 acres. I have been slowly clearing land and planting Bahia. Brutal job by the way...and only about 5 acres done. Apart from his old-school attitude, we are both green and in over our heads really. His attitude is that the longhorns will go off into the woods and eat leaves and wild grass or whatever like they did 60 years ago. My thinking is that the cows use up way to much energy searching out food in the woods; time much better spent on pasture.... Anyway, not enough pasture has been a huge problem for us. I have been supplementing with sweat feed this summer and protein tubs in the winter
Check out my cows when you get a chance
http://floridacows.com
My point here is that I too have spent alot of money supplementing my cows to make them look better than the stereotypical lean longhorn. Leasing more land was a huge help this year...but there are still too many cows on that pasture. Putting a roll of hay out a week right now since the grass is so short. Bought more land: now I have cows spred out on 4 different properties which is making managing them a nightmare. The 50 acres has only 7 cows on it now and some calves while I continue to tear up trees and plant grass.
Relocating cow nightmare:
I recently moved some cows that were on the over-grazed pasture to two smaller lots accross town to fatten them up(lots of grass there). 5 bull calves to lot 3 to be weaned, and 6 moms and calves to lot 4. One old cow to lot 3 a couple of weeks later. PROBLEMS! The bull calves freaked out and broke out of the pasture. One went running down the road off into the woods while the others into a neighbors pasture luckily. I got my as* kicked after roping the 400lb beast---bouncing off of trees... but I managed to get him back....Super long day that was....and the others I managed to pen-up after lots of running. Here's the problem. I want to take some of my cows who are not looking their best from the over-grazed lot to these new pastures. The two separate properties are 8 acres each. As soon as the cows get there they freak out and go busting through the barbed-wire fence. Tightening the fence doesn't do it...they can and have actually broke the wire. I ran a verticle strand of barb-wire between the posts making the fence a sort-of net now(alot of work!). The neighbors have cows and a huge bull who immediately comes over and claims them as his own. Beaf Master I think..the boys is big! My cows hear their "moo's" answered by the herd next door and only try to break out of their pasture. I'm afraid to take anymore cows to the new lots because of all of the drama the break-outs cause. The grass is thick if they would just chill out long enough to eat it. There's not much worse than an "OH Shi*" feeling of watching your cow run down the road. By the way the old cow I took to pasture 3 was the one who broke through the wire---twice! Granny is a bad animal!

What I am thinking: I'm trying to get the cows I want to sell on the new 8 acre lots long enough to fatten them up. I wanted to use these lots to wean the heifers too. I have to get the heifers seperated from their moms so they can calf again....Is the 8 acre lot size just too small because even the large cows like "Granny" freak out like they are in a pen? I know I have to sell some of the herd...but I wanted to put some weight on them first. Bull calves are going straight to the market from here on out....but even their moms go searching and can break out of their pasture at any time if they try.

One last quick question: When I take a calf off her mom...how long before I can mix her back in with the herd?

Whew, you folks kick a hornets nest. Here in the swamplands of Texas the cows get salt and minerals. If thet cant make it on that they grow wheels. Having said that, when calf prices are up as they have been for the last couple of years, I will creep. Its a no brainer

plbcattle":3006u660 said:
if you know the herd and the vet so well name them. I will be glad to call the embryo collection service and prove that this cow didn't calf 20 out of 22 eggs.
please publish the herd name, cow registration number and vet name and number and I will be glad to contact them and post my findings.
plb,
Any word yet?

OK Folks....what is the general opinion...mineral tubs a good idea or not? Grow beef, don't show, don't sell genetics.
We've been having mild winters the past few years but expect a nasty one this year. We feed alfalfa year round and supplement cracked corn and minerals formulated for our grasses.
Are the tubs a value based investiment or just cow candy.
Maybe a poll is in order....DMC

Susie David":3nmepnaa said:
OK Folks....what is the general opinion...mineral tubs a good idea or not? Grow beef, don't show, don't sell genetics.
We've been having mild winters the past few years but expect a nasty one this year. We feed alfalfa year round and supplement cracked corn and minerals formulated for our grasses.
Are the tubs a value based investiment or just cow candy.
Maybe a poll is in order....DMC

IMHO, whether you supplement with a protein tub depends on the condition of your pasture.If you have plenty of good grass,and you rotate pastures to get the best nutrition available,you don't need to supplement.BUT....if your pasture is gone or looks like a billiard table....you must supplement or sell your cattle, simple as that.In my limited experience,people want to see cattle "with their working clothes on", so as not to be disappointed a few weeks after the sale.Donor cows and programs I know nothing about,but am sure that conditioning is important. ;-) :cboy: :)

anyone besides me notice that when vicky stepped in and made her statement regarding flushing that PLB quit doubting and challenging %'s ?
i would and will respect her knowledge over someone who rants and raves about providing proof!!! or wanting YOU to provide names etc!
i agree what works for YOU might not work for me, different strokes for different folks, (also differnent pasture conditions as well as area!!jmho

Simple decision on the tub question.

A cow needs approx. 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of protein per day. If she can't get it from the forage available, you have to supplement her.

Unless these are highly productive dairy cattle they won;lt need any supplement if they'rebeing fed alfalfa. Maybe some corn during the coldest days during the winter, but alfalfa is typically way more protein then a beef cow needs.

dun

Used tubs for a while. For two seasons, the herd matriarch had a split hoof. I wondered if it was from too much protein. I stoped using the tub and put smaller range blocks out from time to time, especially in the winter. Hoof problem went away.
Conclusion: Be darned if I know.

First time I have stumbled across this post. The only thing I want to point out is that I hear some people say "mineral blocks" If you are talking about the little square mineral blocks or salt blocks, it comes up a lot on here and the general consensus is the cows can't eat enough of them to keep up and to switch to a granualted mineral. These are differnet than protein blocks. Which are usually some form of hard molasses. A guy out of Des Moines wanted a 1000 head cow herd and hired some locals to run it. He had some trouble in management, and got a more "experienced" man on the job. The first thing the new guy noted was why they were feeding protein blocks and no mineral during the summer. "That's what I did on my herd and last year I had a 100% conception rate." He was curious how many cows the previous manger had. "Twelve," he said. Needless to say, come preg check time they were far from having a 100% conception rate. I don't want anybody to confuse the two. Cows should get mineral supplemeted, but protein? As already stated, it better be winter or you had better be running short on grass. From my understanding the idea has always been to supplement less, not more. (with the possible exception of the breeders)

I skipped over most of this thread.
my vote goes for candy.
no chihuahuas, please!

Thanks, I created the site myself. Just a little side project to show some family and friends what I'm doing. I do programming on the side. I need to get back to it and finish the site. Lots of new calves to post too.

tbase2000":2m6flx8e said:
Thanks, I created the site myself. Just a little side project to show some family and friends what I'm doing. I do programming on the side. I need to get back to it and finish the site. Lots of new calves to post too.

Just looked at your cows and I think I may know how to keep them from busting through fences.
Cut their horn off. It will help settle them down.
:lol: :lol:
Other than that, train them to a hot wire. I think it was on these boards somebody was talking about put up a wire and tie molasses soaked rags on it. This will teach them fast that the wire bites. Once they learn the wire, may not even have to be hot. I haven't tried it, but sounds like a good idea. May or may not be practical for you.

Well, we usually do protein blocks come winter time, but this year, we got lucky, very lucky, we have at least two years of hay put away in the barn, and we will feed all they can stand there, and it looks really good, lest I get a lab sample out I would be guessing, but also have a great sourse for ground corn on the cob, and will be feeding much more of that this winter as well................having a mixed herd of young and old, many cows in great shape, and others purchased recently as 'scrubs', it is gonna take a bit of management to see that the right ones get the extras and I a mnot feeding the fatties so much protein as usual.

I just wonder if Southern States or Purina makes a very good supplemental mixing formula for grinding with our corn that stands above the rest?

Latest posts