Property With High Phase Power Lines

Help Support CattleToday:

littletom

Reaction score
Looking at property with a tower and transport power lines. Somethings I read completely safe and microwave produces more emf than them. Other things say not safe to live near them. Anyone have thoughts on the subject?

Brute 23":do27xlrl said:
Only issue you will have to deal with is the companies coming down the lines to maintain them..
Unannounced and anytime they want to. They came down mine with a helicopter pulling a string of circular saw blades going back and forth for several days and since then have come and gone at odd times of the week and month regardless of how soft the ground is with a mulching machine and made pathetic attempts at mulching the mess they made, none of which (the sawing or the mulching) was needed. Contract job. Anytime they ask me anything in the future, the answer will always be "hel naww".

These run across several tracts of mine and my dads. I am use to the helicopers and paint crews. Just been interested in this house for awhile went looked at it and started really reading about living close to them. Probably 100 yards. Stayed there as a child for babysetting i seem normal for the most part

They are supposed to build a 500 mgwatt line across my property sometime in the next 4 years. It will be three quarters of a mile from the house and out of sight. I am looking forward to the positive impact...... to my bank account.

ga.prime":13mqdsso said:
Brute 23":13mqdsso said:
Only issue you will have to deal with is the companies coming down the lines to maintain them..
Unannounced and anytime they want to. They came down mine with a helicopter pulling a string of circular saw blades going back and forth for several days and since then have come and gone at odd times of the week and month regardless of how soft the ground is with a mulching machine and made pathetic attempts at mulching the mess they made, none of which (the sawing or the mulching) was needed. Contract job. Anytime they ask me anything in the future, the answer will always be "hel naww".

Yup. When they come thru its imminent domain and they know it. That is by far the worse group of people I have had to deal with as a customer and land owner. There is no accountability with any thing they do and there is no one to complain to.

One thing. A dairy farmer here has several through his pastures/hayfields. He was wondering why the cows were a little jumpy coming through a gateway. Turns out the gate is "electrified" from the waves off the lines. And all his wire fence has a charge on it. Plus he ran electric fence to split up for rotational grazing and did not have to use a fence charge because they had a charge on them. The power company tried to tell him he was full of it.... but they had a county extension agent and a guy who does fencing for a living out and they confirmed it and showed it to the power company. These are big huge towers with lots of big lines on them. Also, you can hear a constant "hum" from them, I don't know if it is the electricity going through them, or the wind.....
I honestly would not want to be that close to them. Just my personal preference.

We have piece with lines across, never had a single problem. Plus the high line crew keeps everything trimmed and we got two free 20' culverts put in. Anytime they want to do anything they always send a letter long in advance.

I work around 500kv power lines nearly everyday and don't think there is any health affects. I wouldn't build any gates directly under them though. I've never been shocked but the one farm gate we go through that's directly under a line is always buzzing.

one of my old places had older 4 legged towers that had been there for years. On a cold damp day, you would get a decent shock from touching the fences close by.

My current place has modern mono-pole towers just a few years old and they ran ground rods on all the fences and gates. No problems whatsoever. They give notice when someone may be out there. I have no problem with them or the poles. The cows use them for a wind break and for a sun block. They are big concrete poles.

Dave, watch them close when they install the line. They do a good job of smoothing out the ground when finished but do nothing to prevent erosion. Make them plant some grass or provide you with the money to do so. My wife called them once a week for about three months, a year or so after they finished to tell them the ground was eroding from them not getting the grass reestablished. They eventually sent us a sizable check to get the work done and to shut her up.

bird dog":1inti4pl said:
one of my old places had older 4 legged towers that had been there for years. On a cold damp day, you would get a decent shock from touching the fences close by.

My current place has modern mono-pole towers just a few years old and they ran ground rods on all the fences and gates. No problems whatsoever. They give notice when someone may be out there. I have no problem with them or the poles. The cows use them for a wind break and for a sun block. They are big concrete poles.

Dave, watch them close when they install the line. They do a good job of smoothing out the ground when finished but do nothing to prevent erosion. Make them plant some grass or provide you with the money to do so. My wife called them once a week for about three months, a year or so after they finished to tell them the ground was eroding from them not getting the grass reestablished. They eventually sent us a sizable check to get the work done and to shut her up.

This is going to be interesting to say the least. In the about a mile that they will be on my place there is 2,000 feet of elevation difference. It is so steep that walking up hill you can sunburn the roof of your mouth. They will have to get a cat in there to do site prep but other than that most everything will come in by helicopter. Where the third tower goes at the top of the hill there isn't much in the way of soil. It is more exposed rock than anything. The mid slope one will be the only one of concern. And then it will mostly be the cat trail going down the hill to the tower site. I have already told them that I want to be there with a video camera when they take a cat down that slope.

I wouldn't worry about powerlines. In the future your having them on your property could be a big plus with the move toward solar. I have three properties near big powerlines and am constantly getting offers for long term rents for solar farms. Some of the offers seem almost too good to be true which is why I haven't pursued anything yet.

Jogeephus":2fhqw79f said:
I wouldn't worry about powerlines. In the future your having them on your property could be a big plus with the move toward solar. I have three properties near big powerlines and am constantly getting offers for long term rents for solar farms. Some of the offers seem almost too good to be true which is why I haven't pursued anything yet.
Right, started out at $700/ac now at $1200/ac, 40 year lease.

ga.prime":1gbunb91 said:
Jogeephus":1gbunb91 said:
Is that $1,200 an acre annually?

Dave":23dwjhwy said:
ga.prime":23dwjhwy said:
Jogeephus":23dwjhwy said:

you bet.. those places pay big bucks

ddd75":2ccjxves said:
Dave":2ccjxves said:
ga.prime":2ccjxves said:

you bet.. those places pay big bucks

I think we will be seeing more of the solar in the future.

From what I have gathered is they want these solar farms near major lines because there is a premium of 2-4 cents per kwh paid at these locations over other lines which explains why I get so many offers. This made me feel a lot better after I agreed to let them put a line across my land without giving them much grief. Unlike some, I was easy to work with simply because I enjoy AC and to deprive others of the same luxury just seemed wrong and this has just been a bonus......or maybe a bonus in the future. I haven't gotten anything out of it yet other than a check but they did put up brand new fences and gates in the deal. I can't complain.

Latest posts