Prolapsed Uterus

Help Support CattleToday:

skyline

Reaction score
Well dangit. Spent Sunday evening with the vet putting one of my cows back together again. She was one of the first calves born on my place. Had done a good job raising her first calf. About 5 months pregnant with her second calf and then she prolapsed on me. And she was one of my favorites. As calm as she could be. I just hate it.

I've had 3 prolapses in my herd in 4 years. About 20 momma cows total, so it's not a big herd. I'm beginning to get paranoid. Seems like an awfully high incidence rate. Any ideas?

feed or hard births? prolapsed uterus isnt usually genetic. but out of curiosity are they related?

Beefy":boe5ou5h said:
feed or hard births? prolapsed uterus isnt usually genetic. but out of curiosity are they related?

All three have been 2nd or 3rd trimester, but not late in the pregnancy. All three have been in pasture and not being heavy fed.

Yes, the one Sunday night was the daughter of the first one that prolapsed, and yes, I was told at the time on here to sell her and any of her daughters, and yes, I am a friggin knucklehead for not taking the advice. I liked her too much to sell her. I won't make that mistake again. :frowns:

soudns like in this case it may be a genetic predisposition afterall. what breed?

to clarify, you are talkign abotu prolapsed uterus and not a prolapsed vagina?

oh ok. makes much more sense. those ARE hereditary a lot of thetime

Beefy":n9mobui4 said:
oh ok. makes much more sense. those ARE hereditary a lot of thetime

Hopefully once she is gone, I will be done with this for a good long while. Knock on wood...

Are there any other factors besides genetics that lead to vaginal prolapses? Any management practices that might be contributing to it?

Saturday night was our first freeze. Reckon her stuffing herself with hay during the night could have had anything to do with it? (Not that you could change that with free choice hay in a hay ring - I'm just curious...)

Beefy uterine prolapes are also genetic and can be passed down from mother to daughter.
Personal experience.
We NEVER keep anything that has any little bit of prolapse showing.

Vaginal prolapses occur most commonly in heavily pregnant beef cows. They are associated with increased pressure in the abdomen of these cows. Fat cows are more prone to the problem because fat increases the pressure in the abdomen. Rations that create very full abdomens also increase the risk. Two common situations where this occurs is during the winter when cows are on poor quality hay and in the spring when lush pastures with high water contents result in cows filling themselves greatly. The late stage of pregnancy increases belly pressure and also is associated hormones that prepare the rear-end tissues for calving so that these softer, swollen tissue permit a prolapse.

more good information on prolapses here.
http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/th ... gnancy.htm

Beefy":31n9sl24 said:
Vaginal prolapses occur most commonly in heavily pregnant beef cows. They are associated with increased pressure in the abdomen of these cows. Fat cows are more prone to the problem because fat increases the pressure in the abdomen. Rations that create very full abdomens also increase the risk. Two common situations where this occurs is during the winter when cows are on poor quality hay and in the spring when lush pastures with high water contents result in cows filling themselves greatly. The late stage of pregnancy increases belly pressure and also is associated hormones that prepare the rear-end tissues for calving so that these softer, swollen tissue permit a prolapse.

Aha! We may be on to something there. Thanks. Not sure what to do about that, but it's good to know. Vet says she is about 5 months pregnant. I wouldn't have thought that she was far enough along for the calf to be creating that much of a problem for her.

I luv herfrds":nj6ty8mo said:
Beefy uterine prolapes are also genetic and can be passed down from mother to daughter.
Personal experience.
We NEVER keep anything that has any little bit of prolapse showing.

hey hrfords,
the only uterine prolapses ive ever dealt with resulted from long difficult labor. i have always been taught that they are not usually hereditary. keyword usually.

Had one cow that had a large breech calf that prolapsed.
We have noticed that it is passed down from mother to daughter. Had one first year heifer that prolapsed about 4 days after having her calf, no change in feed. Figured she was knocked down the hill because it was slippery. Kept her daughter taking a 50/50 chance on her prolapsing. The daughter prolapsed as a first year heifer.
Second time this happened.
I would say for us it is 9 times out of 10 in which it is hereditary. If I notice a vaginal prolapse that animal is on the truck that fall. It can also be passed through the bull, found that out this spring. Had 2 that prolapsed this spring. One was the daughter out of the cow we kept and the other had no history in her back ground on the dam's side.
It can also accure in older cows too.

skyline something we do when they start the vaginal prolapse is we put them on a diet. A couple of flakes of grass and alfafa hay and some ground barley, sometimes that helps, but not always.
If she keeps prolapsing and it won't stay in no matter what you do the vet will need to put in a purse string and when she gets close to calving you need to keep a close eye on her and untie the string. Now hopefully she doesn't do a full unterine prolapse, but this fall I would put wheels under her.

Had a older cow to have a vaginal prolaspe last year the vet put it back in and put a stitch in her. She went into labor a week later could not find the stitch to cut it called the vet said he would not come out called a neighbor who had had prolasped cows before and new more about where to find the stitch he could not find it finally got the vet out an hour or so later he could not find the stitch ended up cutting the cow and a weak calf was born died the next day. The vet charged around 200+ the first visit of putting the prolaspe back and than a 100 on the second visit. Was a bit put out since if the vet would have come out when first called the calf would have been okay. Cow had a infection thought I was going to lose her but she finally started eating and gained back her wt and sent her to the market. I have one cow that her dam had a uterine prolaspe when she was born and died I only breed this cow to a low birth wt angus bull so far no problem with her. But I have heard that vaginal prolaspes are genetic.

One of the bad raps that Herefords used to get was that they are proe to prolapse. I've kept crossbred heifers from cows that had vaginal prolapses and never had a prolapse from them. In recent years the only prolapse we've had was a 7 yr old daughter of Granny sired by a Hereford bull. It was he first and last prolapse that she'll have.

I luv herfrds":2flxg7na said:
We have noticed that it is passed down from mother to daughter. Had one first year heifer that prolapsed about 4 days after having her calf, no change in feed. Figured she was knocked down the hill because it was slippery. Kept her daughter taking a 50/50 chance on her prolapsing. The daughter prolapsed as a first year heifer.
I would say for us it is 9 times out of 10 in which it is hereditary. If I notice a vaginal prolapse that animal is on the truck that fall. It can also be passed through the bull, found that out this spring. Had 2 that prolapsed this spring. One was the daughter out of the cow we kept and the other had no history in her back ground on the dam's side.

skyline something we do when they start the vaginal prolapse is we put them on a diet. A couple of flakes of grass and alfafa hay and some ground barley, sometimes that helps, but not always.
If she keeps prolapsing and it won't stay in no matter what you do the vet will need to put in a purse string and when she gets close to calving you need to keep a close eye on her and untie the string. Now hopefully she doesn't do a full unterine prolapse, but this fall I would put wheels under her.

Once the vet got her put back togethr on Sunday evening, he gave her a shot of antibiotic and antiinflammatory and put a pursestring stitch in her. He also palpated and told me she is about 5 months pregnant - although he did disclaim that with all the swelling it is difficult to determine with accuracy. He advised me to give her 30 days, remove the stitch, and put wheels under her. Debating the timing, but she definitely is headed to town at some point.

skyline":478taivj said:
I luv herfrds":478taivj said:

Once the vet got her put back togethr on Sunday evening, he gave her a shot of antibiotic and antiinflammatory and put a pursestring stitch in her. He also palpated and told me she is about 5 months pregnant - although he did disclaim that with all the swelling it is difficult to determine with accuracy. He advised me to give her 30 days, remove the stitch, and put wheels under her. Debating the timing, but she definitely is headed to town at some point.

Skyline, I'm disappointed that the vet gave you that advice. When our vet stitches up a cow,he leaves a tag of string hanging so that an unsuspecting buyer won't wind up with "your" problem. Full disclosure is in order on this if you sell her.

We normally keep them and let them raise the calf and ship them in the fall. We put them with the steers to keep them home. Learned to not put a prolapse out with a bull. Did it once and she blew it out again. Big mess. Vet had to really work on her to get her back together.

I don't agree with your vet on cutting the string. I do agree with disclosing what is wrong if you do decide to ship her in 30 days.

This may sound kind of crude but was told to me by a dairy guy.
When a cow has vaginal prolapse before birth do the purse string thing...a long stitch up each side of the vagina, loop at top, two ends hanging down at bottom tied in a bow for easy release. After she calves and cleans but before the cervix shrinks throw a smooth river rock about ten pounds into the uterus and then retighten the loop. Once the cervix closes the rock keeps everything pulled forward!
Told my vet about this and he said it is quite common but sure is tough on the pre-breaker at the packing plant when that rock goes through! He said they see a lot of 2 liter pop bottles full of water too!
Not reccommending this...just putting it out there.

Latest posts