Prolapsed Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

bulldog04

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a cow having problems calving. Got her up in the corral and the calf was backwards and it was tight in there. Had to pull the calf out the wrong way and the cow prolapsed. We cleaned it with soap and water and sprayed penicillin on it. We struggled putting it back in because it was so swollen. We poured sugar on it and after 45 minutes got it back in. We sewed it up with hog rings and a boot lace. Gave her some LA 300. She is still alive which I really can't believe and today she was up eating some feed and drinking water. She wasn't laying around much. I'm planning on selling her when she gets over this and the withdrawal time is up. So what should I do next?

kenny thomas said:
Long time since I heard of hog rings and shoe laces but have seen it done.
Did you use brown sugar?
Just regular white cane sugar. If not for that it never would've went back in IMO

bulldog04 said:
kenny thomas said:
Long time since I heard of hog rings and shoe laces but have seen it done.
Did you use brown sugar?
Just regular white cane sugar. If not for that it never would've went back in IMO

Not sure why but we always used brown sugar. Lol. It sure takes the swelling down

Might try that but I hope I don't ever need to again. That was bad and my first one. It was the full deal all the way out

Yeah, that's no fun.. Redose the LA300 at the recommended time and she'll be fine. Good job on getting humpty dumpty back together again!

I had one a couple years ago, she was in a smallish pen when it happened, she whacked that uterus all around the pen, it looked like a murder scene, she was laying down, half #$% dead... I had no appropriate tools so I made a needle out of a tire plug inserter and had some cotton twine.. after 2 hours or so I got it back in and stitched up kinda crudely, gave her a shot of Draxxin and she was good again after that

I'm with Nesikep. Redose the LA, and I would probably give her some dex to help with the sore and swelling.

Good save and good luck! My vet gave my prolapsed heifer penicillin and I didn't have to follow up with another round but it wasn't as traumatic, she already had the calf on her own when she prolapsed. BTW she did breed back & is now on her 6th calf.

White sugar is fine... we always kept at least a couple of 5-lb bags of it on the practice vehicle for use on those swollen uterine prolapses. Amazing how much fluid it'll pull out of those things.
Helps to have a plastic shower curtain to put under 'em to keep it out of the mud/grass once you've gotten it sorta cleaned up.
I always used a Buhner needle and umbilical tape to keep 'em in.

Gonna jinx myself for sure but having calved hundreds of cows in 45 years never encountered a prolapse. Pics look nasty. Whats the primary cause?

bird dog said:
So how do you apply the sugar and how much do you use?

Just apply the sugar on it as thick as it will stay. If it gets so liquid that it drops off apply more sugar.
I have seen old timers use Alum instead but like throwing salt in the eyes for pinkeye I wouldn't recommend the alum.

Lucky_P said:
I always used a Buhner needle and umbilical tape to keep 'em in.

Same here, and use the "modified Buhner stitch". It seems like every 4-5 years I get the privilege of putting one back together. This year there were 3. When you're hot your hot. :cry:

76 Bar said:
Gonna jinx myself for sure but having calved hundreds of cows in 45 years never encountered a prolapse. Pics look nasty. Whats the primary cause?

For a uterine prolapse, pushing too hard to get a large calf out or continuing to push after she's calved. My heifer happened to be laying upward on an incline, which clearly didn't help.

There is no genetic predisposition for a uterine prolapse and my vet assured me it's almost always a one time event but vaginal is reason to cull, & not retain heifers from that lineage.

Latest posts