Prolapsed Uterus

Help Support CattleToday:

Prolapsed uterus: This can be one of the dirtiest jobs imaginable. Usually the vet needs to give the cow a spinal while he tries to shove that whole uterus back in and still it can be a struggle.
An old boy told me a simple way to do it. Hook a chain on each back foot of the cow. Hoist her up a bit with front end loader of tractor...not up in the air...just enough so her hind end is off the ground. She won't be straining and gravity makes it a real snap for the uterus to fall back into body cavity. Then sew her up with the purse string loop method. Works great.

Beefy, Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I followed your link and viewed the picture of the Holstein tied down by hitching her nose to her tail head (interesting prolapse knowledge too by the way). Anyway, I never thought of that. We always just have someone lay over the cows head to keep her head on the ground which keeps her down. Only thing is they tend to figure out that with enough flailing they can win after about 15 minutes or so, so we wind up tying up the feet too. I'll have to try this one. Thanks.

That sounds different. We normally put them in a head catch and squeeze them with the gate and the vet works on them from there.
Only had 2 that were ever done while they were down, both died. Figured they tore the vein to the uterus and bled out. Both were first year heifers and no sign or history of prolapse.

One of Bez's posts this morning about a downed cow reminded me that I should probably update all on what happened with this cow. I've had her up and been feeding her with some heifers near the barn. Yesterday morning, I hauled her to sale barn, with stitches intact for all to see. I asked them to palpate her so that the buyers could be fully informed. It should be apparent to all that she prolapsed and that she is about 6 months pregnant. I'll let you know what the sale results are, but I'm not expecting much.

As much as i am for shipping this cow off with full discloser, did you follow recommended withdrawal times? I mean this cow might and probably will go for slaughter.
LA200 or Boimycin or other forms of oxy (if that is what the vet used) have long withdrawal. Some drugs as long as 48 days. And if the label says can be given SQ or IM, ususally the withdrawal time is different as well.
Just a thought

RR

we have had many cows with vaginal prolapses, and 2 with a uterine prolapse, both the uterine prolapses were caused by hard births, but the vaginal prolapses are most definitely a hereditary weakness, we had to cull 2 lines of cows because of it, and a third we took our chances on and were picky, they were such awesome animals in other ways, and it seems they are in the clear now...
As for things you can do to help prevent it, well, level ground for them, especially near calving, they always like to have their head uphill, which puts a lot of pressure on the behind, and I wish we could find an effective way to make them move a little more, our cattle walk about 300 yards a day, and we think they should walk a bit more, they're fat as heck.

As for purse stings on them, I've heard of people putting hot water bottles (the rubber ones) in them and that helped, but we've never tried it

My advice is the same as what I see most others saying... put wheels under them this fall or clear some freezer space, the problem doesn't go away, it just gets worse

Latest posts