Uterus Prolapse Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Tim/South":2ukygxve said:
It has been several years since we had to put one back in. We always washed the parts off with warm water and disinfectant. Then began putting things back inside. Better with two people. One lifting the mass and the other putting it back in the pot.
Cleaing it with warm water and disinfectant then pouring sugar on it, helps draw out to moisture and u\seweing a glass soda bottle inside all helps.

Lucky_P":1mtrq6kl said:
First one can be a daunting undertaking. Not sure I remember my first one fresh out of vet school, but I'll guarantee you I was sweating it. Sure, they TOLD us how to proceed, but actually doing it yourself, without someone there to advise you...
Had more than one where I was thinking, "Man, I'm making some headway now!" - only to have the ol' heifer give a push and shove it all right back out at me. You just have to keep plugging away at it, working it back in a little at a time.
Some were quick & easy, but a lot of times, I'd be 'give out' when I got through - and covered in a sticky, gooey mixture of blood, sugar, fluid, and feces. And, it seemed like they were almost always at night, and often in cold, muddy conditions. Hmmm. Not sure I ever remember one on a nice sunny Spring day...

Had a cow that got a uterine tear one time during a really hard pull. I reached in, got a grip and prolapsed the uterus so that I could sew it up. Liked to have never gotten it back in, because of all the air that had rushed into her abdomen through the tear when I prolapsed it.
Lucky_P, vets earn their money. In comparison to working on Homo sapiens which cooperate, are in a clean sterile environment with heat and the proper equipment; plus, human vets get about 10,000 times more pay :D ; you big animal vets got my best wishes.

Highgrit: Picture
2j621eh.png

^ Lucky_P posts some of the most correct information and advice on this board. Cattle novices would be well served to heed his advice.

Shucks, folks, just trying to be helpful, like Dr. Ken.
I've learned some important stuff from some of the posters here, too.

inyati13":3oufcirx said:
Lucky_P":3oufcirx said:
First one can be a daunting undertaking. Not sure I remember my first one fresh out of vet school, but I'll guarantee you I was sweating it. Sure, they TOLD us how to proceed, but actually doing it yourself, without someone there to advise you...
Had more than one where I was thinking, "Man, I'm making some headway now!" - only to have the ol' heifer give a push and shove it all right back out at me. You just have to keep plugging away at it, working it back in a little at a time.
Some were quick & easy, but a lot of times, I'd be 'give out' when I got through - and covered in a sticky, gooey mixture of blood, sugar, fluid, and feces. And, it seemed like they were almost always at night, and often in cold, muddy conditions. Hmmm. Not sure I ever remember one on a nice sunny Spring day...

Had a cow that got a uterine tear one time during a really hard pull. I reached in, got a grip and prolapsed the uterus so that I could sew it up. Liked to have never gotten it back in, because of all the air that had rushed into her abdomen through the tear when I prolapsed it.
Lucky_P, vets earn their money. In comparison to working on Homo sapiens which cooperate, are in a clean sterile environment with heat and the proper equipment; plus, human vets get about 10,000 times more pay :D ; you big animal vets got my best wishes.

Highgrit: Picture
2j621eh.png

Agreed! Impressive work ethics from our Vets!

One of our farm helpers had a 2 or 3 year old bull who had a RECTAL prolapse for no particular reason. So a bull can prolapse, but it will be a rectal prolapse.

Salebarn prices on a prolapsed cow would be about 650 for the pair, from personal recent experience. Bought the heavybred tiger cow on Friday, she prolapsed on Saturday. Two vet bills later with stitching and then 2 weeks to get the calf going good, we hauled her. Fully disclosed to the barn her status and got half back of what we paid. Not counting the vet bill. Thats the chance you take at the barn. At least WE were honest when we brought her back.

Latest posts