prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
went to the sell today and the last cow that came through had a prolapse.When she first walked in she looked fine then she turned and i saw it the blood still there so it must have happened that morning but no calf with her she went for 20 cents. My question is how does it happen and could it be fixed i thought it could but someone there said to someone who bought it that shell do it every time she calves is this true or what.

Not all will prolapse again and again. dun has more experience with that than I do.

If a mare prolapses, she does it only once, because it kills her when she does. Not a pretty sight.

Katherine

What kind of prolapse vaginal ,uterine or anal. There are many different ones.

Research prolapses in cattle and you will learn more.

I would not take a chance on her. You fix her up, then you have the expense of pasturing her for a year just to see.

Let one of the fixer uppers take her home to heal then turn her for hamburger. They might double their money if she looks that good. I know of a really old man who has been at such things for years. They call him "hunnert dolla." He never speaks much but just gives a passive wave. Old timers say he always carries a hundred dollar bill in his pocket. That's how he got the name. When he's at the sale and doesn't bid, you know its a bad case :D

backhoeboogie":2pyhk6gr said:
I would not take a chance on her. You fix her up, then you have the expense of pasturing her for a year just to see. :D

Blew my wad on a cow like this - she got constipated. Had a rectal prolapse first - took two men and a truck to put her back together. Stitched her up then she vaginally prolapsed - vet didn't put enough poop hole in the ring stitch. Got the vaginal prolapsed stitched up and put her on feed to keep her from getting constipated. Just wanted to get that "one last calf" out of her. We did too . . . had to induce her labor so I knew when to cut the stitch holding her vagina together.

Once she had the calf she was fine . . . but I promised my vet I get rid of her as soon as I weaned the calf :lol:

Hindsight, I'd have been money and a whole bunch of time ahead to take the 20 cents.

angus9259":3495ozrb said:
backhoeboogie":3495ozrb said:
I would not take a chance on her. You fix her up, then you have the expense of pasturing her for a year just to see. :D

Blew my wad on a cow like this - she got constipated. Had a rectal prolapse first - took two men and a truck to put her back together. Stitched her up then she vaginally prolapsed - vet didn't put enough poop hole in the ring stitch. Got the vaginal prolapsed stitched up and put her on feed to keep her from getting constipated. Just wanted to get that "one last calf" out of her. We did too . . . had to induce her labor so I knew when to cut the stitch holding her vagina together.

Once she had the calf she was fine . . . but I promised my vet I get rid of her as soon as I weaned the calf :lol:

Hindsight, I'd have been money and a whole bunch of time ahead to take the 20 cents.

Once you get her stitched up, grab a bucket of loose salt and just start heaving handfuls into her mouth. Give her plenty of water and a salt block. 2 stitches in the rectal area, 3 in the vaginal, should hold all together.

Uterine prolapses are a result of hard calvings and may only happen once.

Vaginal prolapses are genetic and will follow from mother to daughter.

Rectal prolapse is largely caused by constipation, although, as far as I know, it is also a genetic flaw. :cowboy:

As I post about this time last year ,had a cow about 7 montns along , she had a vaginal . Very cold Feb. day ,I got it back in, hands about froze..She had a very nice bull calf and that was that, no other problems....

Well checked cows other day, did my count, one short came over the hill and sure enought , the same cow about 7 mo. along and prolaps again.. I got some grain and lead her into the corral, and got her into the head gate.. worked on her for about a hour, with no luck,and was dead tired.. One of my friends son passed by , I flag him down and then the two of use got it back in in about 10 mins. Very new experince for him , I loaded her up the next day and took her to the sale barn, she brought about 840$ as a breed cow...

I feel bad about passing problems on to other people, then again I am sure the people that bought the preg. cows I sold in the 07 drought for 500 to 550 apice did not give it a thought about the cheap cows they bought...or my losses

Beware of sale barn cattle , most have been culled for a reason , some bad some not so bad...

I have never had problems with the heifers that I have kept,raised,and breed...I bought 6 heifers in 05 and have had problems with them, not breeding, prolaps, one gets out a few times..I have culled 3 of the 6 so far...These were bought from a guy I know and think have good cattle, you just never know...

In all fairness, what should I have done with a 7 mo. preg. cows ,sold as a KIller?

She was fat ,would have brought good money as a killer, I just hate to kill the calf..

What if you have a cows that lost her last 2 calves , is now preg. , and you sale her as a breed cow, is there a moral issue there?

What about the people that go to a sale barn during droughts and buy cattle for a huge discounts, are they taking advantage?

I have never bought anything at the salebarn, I sale my calfs and cull there..she was a cull...Please give me you thoughts..Make it clear I do not read between the lines that well...

OMFG there is a moral issue .. If you do not have integrity then.. Remind me to stay the heck away from any cattle raised in TN.

You should have stitched her so the buyers would know that she was a prolapse at the very least. LOOK you kept the problem the first time it happened, your mistake, don't pass your dumb mistakes onto others. Or better yet let them know that she had a prolapse and was a piece of crap to go straight to the can with a big red X on both sides .

I can beotch and moan too about having to sell heavy breds with absolutely nothing wrong with them for cull prices because of the drought, but will I intentionally screw someone, NFW.

In all fairness, what should I have done with a 7 mo. preg. cows ,sold as a KIller ?
You should have kept her and calved her out yourself if you did not want the calf and cow to go to slaughter..

And people wonder why I am so mean and pissy lately. Get real.. :roll:

alftn":3p229hho said:
In all fairness, what should I have done with a 7 mo. preg. cows ,sold as a KIller?

She was fat ,would have brought good money as a killer, I just hate to kill the calf..

What if you have a cows that lost her last 2 calves , is now preg. , and you sale her as a breed cow, is there a moral issue there?

What about the people that go to a sale barn during droughts and buy cattle for a huge discounts, are they taking advantage?

I have never bought anything at the salebarn, I sale my calfs and cull there..she was a cull...Please give me you thoughts..Make it clear I do not read between the lines that well...
Either sell her as a kill cow or calve her out yourself THEN sell her as a kill cow.

Buying at a lower price then what the owner thinks they are worth is just part of the business. Obviously at that time and place they weren;t worth as much as you thought they should have been.

alftn":14jk16j0 said:

Either sell her as is and let people know about the prolapses or calve her out like you did last year and then sell her as a kill cow.

Yes, unless you let buyers know her past history.

No. They are paying market prices for that point in time. The drought isn't their fault.

In my opinion, what you did was dishonest. Clear enough?

hillsdown":2frsmsgv said:
OMFG there is a moral issue .. If you do not have integrity then.. Remind me to stay the heck away from any cattle raised in TN.
You should have stitched her so the buyers would know that she was a prolapse at the very least. LOOK you kept the problem the first time it happened, your mistake, don't pass your dumb mistakes onto others. Or better yet let them know that she had a prolapse and was a piece of crap to go straight to the can with a big red X on both sides .

I can beotch and moan too about having to sell heavy breds with absolutely nothing wrong with them for cull prices because of the drought, but will I intentionally screw someone, NFW.

In all fairness, what should I have done with a 7 mo. preg. cows ,sold as a KIller ?
You should have kept her and calved her out yourself if you did not want the calf and cow to go to slaughter..

And people wonder why I am so mean and be nice lately. Get real.. :roll:

Please hillsdown rethink that statement. Don't judge all TN cattlemen by the action of one individual. I hope he will see the error of his action and not repeat it.

Red Bull Breeder":3rf2unbg said:
Its buyer beware at the sale barn and you all know it.
Very true. But just because one guy is a thief doesn;t make it right for someone else to do the same. Integrity and responsibility for ones actions.

There is a special place reserved amongst the fire and brimestone for those who sell culls as breds in the name of greed. :cowboy:

Latest posts