Prolapse question ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree with you both, but some UP's just depend upon circumstance. The last UP that happened she had calved very easily,was up, cleaned calf, fed calf, then laid down in a very very crappy spot and couldn't get back up .The straining to get up caused the UP. This was do to circumstance not anything anatomical (?) with the cow.

BTW as to respect to all breeds heavy culling and better genetic choices have made UP's somewhat an anomaly in regards to genetics.

Yes, sadly there are certain lines where there is still prolapsing. There are a couple of lines I avoid due to that.
I know there are some great breeders out there that have completely gotten the prolapse out, but like all breeds it is possible even without a history of it.

I luv herfrds":2rf5a2z8 said:
Yes, sadly there are certain lines where there is still prolapsing. There are a couple of lines I avoid due to that.
I know there are some great breeders out there that have completely gotten the prolapse out, but like all breeds it is possible even without a history of it.
there was a discussion on here year or so back about mineral deficiency "selenium" could be a culprit. i know it can cause retained placenta, but some could think it could be hereditary when it was actually a deficiency.....not saying thats was your case just giving a fer instance

As an added bonus, they can also prolapse their vagina 39 days after calfing!

And as an added attraction, if you don;t get them stitched fairly soon:

Holy moly Dun a VP and RP ..Did you get her stitched up, and if so how is she doing now ?

What about info when she calved was it a big calf, assisted ,unassisted etc. ?

hillsdown":2akp8lnm said:
Holy moly Dun a VP and RP ..Did you get her stitched up, and if so how is she doing now ?

What about info when she calved was it a big calf, assisted ,unassisted etc. ?

She's down fine, just got sewed up this morning.

The calving saga goes like this. We had a banquet to go to one night and I thought maybe she was playing at being in labor. She had been stitched up a month ana half before. Had the neighbor come over and check on her and sure enough she was in labor, had one foot out but nothing else was moving. She called us and we beat feet home and I cut the stitch. She then stood around and glared at me for a while then layed down and grunted once, both feet, waited about 5 minutes and grunted again then stood up and cleaned the calf. 87 lb bull, that's within 2 pounds of the size calf she's had every year no matter who she was bred to. Then yesterday I noticed in the morning she had a bubble, by last night she had prolapsed the V. Vet had a couple of calls to make this morning then he dropped by. This morning she had popped the R. So far didn;t have to do anything about that, just pushed it in and now that she isn;t straining from the other prolapse I'm hoping it stays in. All she needs to do is hold out till late October and she'll be growing wheels. Stitch and all..............................

Latest posts