Is this a prolapse or just afterbirth ?

Help Support CattleToday:

i had one last spring and I was advised to give her a round of Baytril. The weight of the exposed aftebirth is utilized to pull what is on the inside out. It took over a week for the afterbirth to finally fully release. She came into heat at 8 weeks and I bred her once and now she is safe with calf.

afterbirth/placenta... leave it alone. So long as the cow is eating/drinking, caring for her calf and seems to be feeling OK, no need for any treatment - of any kind, no matter how bad it smells.

kjonesel... don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger...
I don't know who advised you to give Baytril... but... Baytril is only approved for use in cattle for the treatment of respiratory disease. Administering Baytril to cattle for any other reason is extra-label drug use, and is prohibited by federal law.

The reason I asked was the person who posted this picture on FB said he saw the calf born at 11 PM and left. The next morning he got rid of the afterbirth and then found this, which makes no sense to me, unless there is a second calf somewhere, but he said no as she was in the barn.
So I thought that bight be a prolapse with the " some "afterbirth still hanging and he cleaned up only some afterbirth.
So that's all I know
Thanks

Poster may have mistaken/meant the membranes which came out with the calf, not realising there was much more than that to keep a calf growing and alive.

So, it appears that everyone says to leave it alone. I've noticed in other discussions, there are those who think it's no big deal, while others think it's an emergency. We had a cow with a dangling rope this year. We let it go about 5 days. She was doing fine. My brother mentioned it to someone, and he almost fainted. He said it should be dealt with immediately. He said to give it a gentle pull, and if it didn't come out, call the vet. The gentle pull worked.

I realize there are differences in opinion, but its amazing as to how people can be so far apart as "no big deal" to "emergency."

herofan":7v4zb5xe said:
So, it appears that everyone says to leave it alone. I've noticed in other discussions, there are those who think it's no big deal, while others think it's an emergency. We had a cow with a dangling rope this year. We let it go about 5 days. She was doing fine. My brother mentioned it to someone, and he almost fainted. He said it should be dealt with immediately. He said to give it a gentle pull, and if it didn't come out, call the vet. The gentle pull worked.

I realize there are differences in opinion, but its amazing as to how people can be so far apart as "no big deal" to "emergency."

Agreed. We had a cow 3 years ago that retained hers, ended up getting infected & didn't breed back. Happened again 2 years ago & I went dumpster diving, popped in a bolus & all was fine. If it happens again I'm calling the vet because now I'm not sure what to do :?:

Sorry not to get back yo you sooner. I forgot where I posted this.
The owner stated he did have a vet out and she said It was afterbirth and to leave it alone and if she didn't clean out in 48 hrs call her. She was cleaned out the next morning. 24 hrs +-. The cow, not the vet!

LCCattle":2u7yfr51 said:
https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/10441282_10207030462893666_4347572944848151_n.jpg?oh=f0e6e74158ab2519ac46074bee4669c9&oe=56B60A89
In November you don't know the difference between afterbirth and a prolapse.
Now 8 months later you are a self proclaimed cattleman lobbying on face book to ban the sale of cull cows.

LCCattle":1srb5n3v said:
Sorry not to get back yo you sooner. I forgot where I posted this.
The owner stated he did have a vet out and she said It was afterbirth and to leave it alone and if she didn't clean out in 48 hrs call her. She was cleaned out the next morning. 24 hrs +-. The cow, not the vet!
And you were not even the owner of the cow.... or any cows?

Lucky_P":79smg9w6 said:
afterbirth/placenta... leave it alone. So long as the cow is eating/drinking, caring for her calf and seems to be feeling OK, no need for any treatment - of any kind, no matter how bad it smells.

kjonesel... don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger...
I don't know who advised you to give Baytril... but... Baytril is only approved for use in cattle for the treatment of respiratory disease. Administering Baytril to cattle for any other reason is extra-label drug use, and is prohibited by federal law.

The misuse of Baytril brings to mind the use of Lutalyse for retained placenta. Dr. Stanfield, you met him at Bulls of the Bluegrass, says Lutalyse has no efficacy for retained placenta. Kris' vet prescribed it in a case she had.

Son of Butch":19xlat7e said:
LCCattle":19xlat7e said:
And your point is??
You are the worst advocate for the beef industry imaginable.
Banning the sale of cull cows would destroy the beef industry.
And you wonder why there are so few posters on this board.

inyati13":285vvqvn said:
callmefence":285vvqvn said:
One good thing bout a bytch fight. Always a chance ones going get her shirt ripped off.

You talking about a Butch fight or a chick (using a nicer word) fight. I would think Son of Butch is male?
Don't worry Prince.
Wasn't aimed at butch. Just a little joke that's all........

callmefence":3kkhzwet said:
inyati13":3kkhzwet said:
callmefence":3kkhzwet said:
One good thing bout a bytch fight. Always a chance ones going get her shirt ripped off.

You talking about a Butch fight or a chick (using a nicer word) fight. I would think Son of Butch is male?
Don't worry Prince.
Wasn't aimed at butch. Just a little joke that's all........

You and I make a good team. :cboy:

Latest posts