prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

herfdog

Reaction score
0405011600a_00011.jpg

I am thinking this is a vaginal prolapse am I right? She calved 20 days ago she didn't show any signs before she calved just noticed this the other day. She is a first calf heifer. It goes back in when she gets up, but it always seems to come out when she lays down. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think this will stay in without stiches. It gets dirty when she lies, that can't be good. Just want her to raise the calf till fall than I will sell her.

i seen those when they are heavy bred, after the calf is born it goes away. i would have it checked before the whole thing comes out. i have heard of them prolapsing a couple weeks after calvin

Happened last year. When it protrudes, it will itch, and it will obstruct urinary function so she will compensate by pushing harder until it does come out.

Push it back in now, sew her up and don't expose her to the bull. Ship her when the calf is old enough to take off. :cowboy:

Very unusual to be vaginal prolapse post calving. If it is, a prolapse pin inserted through vagina and up through muscle and out through skin over rump is very effective allows them to calve ok. So very unlikely to be vaginal prolapse. Could have torn vaginal/uterine wall and bladder protruding, uterine horn could be turned inside out on itself but just not prolapsed. We used to use long neck wine bottles to straighten out uterine horn that was out of reach after reducing prolapsed uterus.
It would pay to get it checked out as there are a couple off possibilities.
Ken

I've had a couple vaginal prolapses upto a week after calving. If it continueo go back in just leave it be, if it stays out after she gets up and walks around a bit then throw stitch in. The reason I inquired about how fat she is is because those late prolapses seem to happen mostly with fat cows. If they are decent milkers they tend to lose somne of that fat and the problems sort of cures itself for now. But I'll almost gaurantee she'll prolaps for real if you breed her again. Maybe not the next time but sometime. You can go ahead and run her wit hthe rst of the herd even if she may get bred. Just make dam sure you ship her when you wean the calf and that she goes to the weigh/kill pen.

Thanks all for your comments. I might just sell her know and bottle feed the calf. Got two already what's one more.
Does this need to be pushed in and positioned more than when It goes in by it self? Thanks for your help.

herfdog":an8gbw1k said:
Thanks all for your comments. I might just sell her know and bottle feed the calf. Got two already what's one more.
Does this need to be pushed in and positioned more than when It goes in by it self? Thanks for your help.
As long as she can pee with it in there isn;t any reason to mess with it. Just insure she goes through the weigh/kill pen at the sale barn

I have these with my fat cows when they are heavy in calf. As long as it goes back in when they stand up no problem and the only thing I've seen bother that are those magpies that could peck at it.

Since she has already calved there is no reason she will prolapse as long as it goes back in when she stands up.

SO selling a cow that can feed their own calf to buying milk replacer and doing it yourself never made sense to me.

Will this go on all summer? If so isn't their a chance of infection when dirt and crap get on it and it goes back in and out? in and out, in and out, in and out, in and out, in and out, in and out.

herfdog":uwv89tnx said:
Will this go on all summer? If so isn't their a chance of infection when dirt and crap get on it and it goes back in and out? in and out, in and out, in and out, in and out, in and out, in and out.
It shouldn;t go on much longer. Either it will quit or she'll actually prolapse. I agree with letting her feed the calf. It probably bothers you a lot more then it bothers her. I agree that it's discomforting to see it though

herfdog if you are that concerned stitch the thing closed, let her raise the calf and ship her as a kill cow this fall.
As it has already been said don't put her with the bull. More problems there then you need. Been there done that, don't want to remember.

Latest posts