Prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

Richard

Reaction score
Tried to push prolapse in that's been out for a while on a cow but couldn't get it back in. Going to try again in morning when its a bit cooler. Have heard somewhere that putting sugar on it shrinks it? Anybody ever heard of this or anything else? If we can't get it back in tomorrow will take her the 50 ks to the vet.

Sugar will shrink it in size. But if it's been out very long it may be so dried out and swollen that even that won;t help

dun

I had a heifer to prolapse after a hard birth about three weeks ago. Using the truck headlights since it was about 2 am in the morning, we put her in the headgate to stuff it back in. My dad stood across the top of the chute and we placed a towel under the exposed part. He then picked everything up so that all I had to do was push horizontally, as opposed to up and in at the same time. Everything went back in rather easily using this method. We also used sugar. After everything was back in, we put three hog rings on each side and laced her up just like a work boot. Removed everything a few days later. Gave her a few rounds of antibiotics also.

As Dun stated, if it has been exposed to air very long it may have started to dry out to the point it cannot be put back in. We had that happen one time and the vet tied it off best he could up close to the cow and removed it. He didn't give her very good chances but she did survive and raised her calf.

a prolaspe aint something you wait to better weather to do he!! folks lay in rain and snow stuffing them back .she could rupture the artery and be dead pronto

Wasn't my cow - it was a neighbour's and we weren't waiting for it to cool down for our sakes, but for the cow who was overheated and stressed out to the max.

Richard":3tccgwan said:
Tried to push prolapse in that's been out for a while on a cow but couldn't get it back in. Going to try again in morning when its a bit cooler.

Please define 'a while'? Since this is not an immediate happening, I don't think I would be trying to stuff that prolapse back - sounds like a really good way to start an infection to me. The owner might want to consult with his/her vet on this one.

Latest posts