prolapse

Help Support CattleToday:

jcarkie

Reaction score
i have two cows that are canidates for prolapse one worse than the other.
i am going to sell them but, how hereditary is prolapse? will heifers out of them be likely to do the same. both of these cows came from the same farm. one had to be sewed up she will calve in a couple of weeks. the other calved just fine and never did have anything fall out.

It seems to be hereditary, sort of. Some lines of particualrly Herefords seem to have a higher incidence of prolapse then other breeds. We have two cows from a cow that prolapsed and neither of them have shown any indidcation. But they are F1 Red Angus and old prolapsing Polled Hereford. Long story but she prolapsed with both calves and the first was as a heifer.

dun

both of these are 3/4 gelbvieh the first one just bulged when she was laying down about a week before she calved. the other one i noticed last year was bulging but it never protruded out, this year her vagina hung out and would not go back until i got her up to go to the vet then it went back in but she strained with it. she is due to calve in about 2 or 3 weeks.

With that much Gelbvieh I would wonder about some other cause. Body condition, feed ration, minerals, etc.

dun

I think the prolapse itself isn't inherited, but the weakness of the ligaments around the uterus that hold it in place. Much like heart attacks aren't inherited, but the weakness of valves, high blood pressure, and weakness of arteries that cholesterol attaches itself to and keeps building up. I guess all of the heifers might not inherit it, but it sure makes you leary about keeping one. I hate to walk out and see the large red buldge. We had one a few weeks ago and she was a young Charlois and not that far along. She was a nice big cow and there were only two on the place. We took her to the vet and he rubbed sugar all over her uterus to take the swelling down. He let the sugar pull the water off a while. Before he pushed it in, he did wash it with an antiseptic solution. It did draw a lot of the water off and made it easier to push back. He stitched her up and she grew wheels the following Thursday. That is sale barn day here.

bcs 5 or 6, i feed 12% feed and all the hay they can eat. mineral blocks. can it be caused by condition. the vet told me, she strained because of the pressure on her bladder and as long as it goes back in it will be o.k. he also said that santa gertrudis are bad to prolapse.

I would be afraid she would prolapse again. Mostly since she has a ways to go before she gives birth. The Charlois cow, she had prolapsed before, this time tearing out the stitches. I should have taken her to the sale barn then. It was the same pregnancy and she was not that far along. If I consider all the other cows out there in the same pasture with her, they are not prolapsing getting the same feed. That kind of tissure being exposed to outside elements isn't a good thing either. If it had of been in the summer with flies, it would have been pretty nasty.

Chuckie, I go along with your advice 100% Had a fellow in the store the other day, telling me about his 8 year old Limousin cow that had prolapsed, and took her to the vet had her stitched, and wanted to keep her. She prolapsed while having her 4th calf, had teats as big as Coke bottles,the calf died, and he finally decided to sell the cow Monday. I beleive if they do it once, they'd do it again.Put her in your billfold, and get shed of the stress and worry with what she'll do in the next pregnancy.

Conventional wisdom is that if they prolapse before calving they will keep doing it, if they prolapse after calving they won't. I've found the first part of that to be right. The second part seems to be about 50% right.

dun

will she prolapse when she calves? i had a friend who said he had two that did. the vet said that once she dialated it would probably hold. but he said the next time she would do the same or worse sooner.she won't be here for next time.

some will prolapse again after they freshen, others don't. if she does just wash it & push it back in & sew her up. be ready to get wet when you push it back in. good luck & hopefully she won't do it again, but i would still give her wheels when calf is weaned

Latest posts