Probably know shortly about 2nd amendment rights...

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry said:
Caustic Burno said:
The liberals made revolving doors out of our prison systems. Secondly they shut down our state run mental institutions and released them on the streets.

The last time I checked, that was the Republicans that did that. They cut funding for mental institutions and they privatized the prison system.

We had prisoners in tents until a LBJ appointed Judge , William Justice ordered the reform of the prison system over prisoner rights.
They don't have any other than work a prison farm or a chain gang IMO.
Your rights were terminated upon conviction of your crimes against society . This is where the train started off the rails. Then you had LBJ Great Slavery plan to empower the same elite that has brought nothing but corrupt plantation politics.
The Texas prison system actually made money for the state until this liberal finished with it.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fju12

jltrent said:
sstterry said:
Caustic Burno said:
So you're willing to give up essential liberty to a tyrant. That exact thinking cost millions of lives in Europe.
The irony is you are not willing to die to take them, I am to keep them.
When we get there it will effect every family in this country.

Don't' twist my words. I didn't say give up guns. I said reasonable regulation. You can't own and automatic weapon without a special license. You can't own a bazooka or a grenade launcher either.

Plus, I don't consider firearms an essential liberty. It was widely accepted until about 50 years ago that the 2nd Amendment applied to States and not the individual. That is not the law now and I recognize that.

My only argument is that for the safety of the public, some regulation is necessary.

Where do the regulations stop once they are started? Are you willing to set back and trust a bunch of politicians to your rights, so they can keep their job and all the perks. You are way more trusting than me as I don't trust any of them including all parties, but some are more trusting than others. IF we set back and let them we will be going down to the police station to check a gun out like poor ole Redgully has to do.

Steady on, we keep our guns at home. I have to have a little laugh, all your arguments were our arguments during the gun regulations coming in. Didn't turn out that way though. But as said before, your situation is very different to ours. Glad i don't have to sort it out.

Redgully said:
jltrent said:
sstterry said:
Don't' twist my words. I didn't say give up guns. I said reasonable regulation. You can't own and automatic weapon without a special license. You can't own a bazooka or a grenade launcher either.

Plus, I don't consider firearms an essential liberty. It was widely accepted until about 50 years ago that the 2nd Amendment applied to States and not the individual. That is not the law now and I recognize that.

My only argument is that for the safety of the public, some regulation is necessary.

Where do the regulations stop once they are started? Are you willing to set back and trust a bunch of politicians to your rights, so they can keep their job and all the perks. You are way more trusting than me as I don't trust any of them including all parties, but some are more trusting than others. IF we set back and let them we will be going down to the police station to check a gun out like poor ole Redgully has to do.

Steady on, we keep our guns at home. I have to have a little laugh, all your arguments were our arguments during the gun regulations coming in. Didn't turn out that way though. But as said before, your situation is very different to ours. Glad i don't have to sort it out.

May have gotten a little carried away...... LOL. From reading your recent post to own a pistol will have to go down to the club to check it out. When 3 or 4 thugs enter your home all you have to do is tell them to wait a few minutes, so you can run down to the club to get your pistol. They will understand.

Redgully said:
jltrent said:
sstterry said:

Difference is blood will run down our streets again, win, loose or draw.
We are in a cold Civil War right now IMO. This will be our third go at it.
As one of the founders said the "tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of tyrants and patriots ".
Our first Civil War against England started over gun control.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.history.com/.amp/topics/american-revolution/battles-of-lexington-and-concord

Redgully, did the people of your country just turn in all their guns as ordered when the laws passed? Again it's so different here but with guns in vertically every house in my area I expect their are a few crochety old farts like jltrent and more that will not just give the government their guns.

Along with this someone that was possibly going to be effected by the wildfires said they couldn't push down the underbrush around their residents to make a firebreak because the government didn't allow it.
Here if I own the land I can cut the trees, clear the stumps, plant it in grass or do whatever I want as long as the activity and any impact (runoff of sediments) stays on my land. I bought it, I pay taxes each year on it's value.

kenny thomas said:
Redgully, did the people of your country just turn in all their guns as ordered when the laws passed? Again it's so different here but with guns in vertically every house in my area I expect their are a few crochety old farts like jltrent and more that will not just give the government their guns.

Worked in a correctional based facility for almost 30 years with a good record. With the people I have been around most of my life I understand fully why protection is needed... Some very dangerous, mentally, crazy, unstable people on this earth everywhere. If you are a soft target I sure would not want them around me. They sleep of the day and roam at night, you better be ready if the need arises. They are out there.

jltrent said:
kenny thomas said:

Worked in a correctional based facility for almost 30 years with a good record. With the people I have been around most of my life I understand fully why protection is needed... Some very dangerous, mentally, crazy, unstable people on this earth everywhere. If you are a soft target I sure would not want them around me. They sleep of the day and roam at night, you better be ready if the need arises. They are out there.

My running buddy and neighbor that died three years ago today was the prison warden. Started out as a guard and worked his way up. Trent I got very educated running with him through the years, much less doing it everyday.
Rational leaves the equation when dealing with that mindset. It's like predators looking for prey.

jltrent said:
kenny thomas said:

And give them a gun.....

kenny thomas said:
Along with this someone that was possibly going to be effected by the wildfires said they couldn't push down the underbrush around their residents to make a firebreak because the government didn't allow it.
Here if I own the land I can cut the trees, clear the stumps, plant it in grass or do whatever I want as long as the activity and any impact (runoff of sediments) stays on my land. I bought it, I pay taxes each year on it's value.

Got to agree there but many areas have rising salt so that is why they are stopping a lot of clearing. The greenies and tree huggers are causing a lot of problems too. You may be surprised to hear a number of U.S. citizens who have moved here talk about how free you are in Australia....interesting.

Wow you boys have been busy! Redgully thanks for posting your rules didn't mean to get you in the hot seat. What Kenny said is true a lot of collectors and just plain old gun owners have more than a few. Fact is unless they are stolen they will never be used in a crime. The problem is any regulations affect law abiding citizens 1000to1 over criminals. They are criminals so breaking the law isn't an issue to them. So why should law abiding citizens suffer? As said earlier the highest crime rates in America are in gun free/ extreme gun restricted zones. Obviously that doesn't work. I do think hard manual labor in prisons as well as forcing people to work outside of prison I.e no welfare would do wonders for a lot of this problem. Idle hands are the devils playground. Also while it does seem, especially to the outside world, that we have this huge issue given the actual number of guns in this country it is not disproportionately high. I think if they could put an actual number on it, it would be staggering to most people. While I agree one child death is to many and certainly for school shootings the same these adults that are victims every night are mostly doing us a favor thinning themselves out. Very very few are innocent bystanders.

SmokinM said:
Wow you boys have been busy! Redgully thanks for posting your rules didn't mean to get you in the hot seat. What Kenny said is true a lot of collectors and just plain old gun owners have more than a few. Fact is unless they are stolen they will never be used in a crime. The problem is any regulations affect law abiding citizens 1000to1 over criminals. They are criminals so breaking the law isn't an issue to them. So why should law abiding citizens suffer? As said earlier the highest crime rates in America are in gun free/ extreme gun restricted zones. Obviously that doesn't work. I do think hard manual labor in prisons as well as forcing people to work outside of prison I.e no welfare would do wonders for a lot of this problem. Idle hands are the devils playground. Also while it does seem, especially to the outside world, that we have this huge issue given the actual number of guns in this country it is not disproportionately high. I think if they could put an actual number on it, it would be staggering to most people. While I agree one child death is to many and certainly for school shootings the same these adults that are victims every night are mostly doing us a favor thinning themselves out. Very very few are innocent bystanders.

Crazy is not new just sensationalized on 24 hour media.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

Caustic Burno said:
sstterry said:
Caustic Burno said:
The liberals made revolving doors out of our prison systems. Secondly they shut down our state run mental institutions and released them on the streets.

The last time I checked, that was the Republicans that did that. They cut funding for mental institutions and they privatized the prison system.

We had prisoners in tents until a LBJ appointed Judge , William Justice ordered the reform of the prison system over prisoner rights.
They don't have any other than work a prison farm or a chain gang IMO.
Your rights were terminated upon conviction of your crimes against society . This is where the train started off the rails. Then you had LBJ Great Slavery plan to empower the same elite that has brought nothing but corrupt plantation politics.
The Texas prison system actually made money for the state until this liberal finished with it.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fju12
Caustic I bet you and William Wayne Justice could have some lively one on one conversations.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesman/obituary.aspx?pid=134417085

What it all boils down to is society's lack of morals and responsibility.

It all starts with the individual and the idea of "all about me".What I want.What's best for me.I want to do what I want to do and everyone else make it possible."It's everyone's fault but mine."
We should go back to where we were.Having,whole,stable families where children are brought up learning to share,take responsibility and knowing that there are consequences for one's actions.Learning to think about the other person as well as yourself.Parents being parents not just producers of people.
We are going after the wrong thing trying to prevent all these senseless acts. If the rationale for restricting guns is true how are you going to stop the other methods?Are you going to ban cell phones,cars or alcohol because some people choose to drive drunk or text and drive? Are you going to ban some common household items,fertilizers,petroleum etc because they are explosive in the wrong hands?Are you going to ban knives,ice picks,swords,machetes,axes,hammers,etc because someone might choose to use them as weapons? Are you going to ban forks and spoons because people eat too much of the wrong things?
Here's a novel thought.Instead of punishing people who use things for their intended purpose and don't cause others harm,let's punish those who make a choice to misuse them.Oh yeah,that's what we used to do and it worked very well.Not perfectly but very well.

I think whether we like it or not the laws passed and being proposed in Virginia will become the norm in the majority of states within the next 10-15 years. A couple polls I've looked at show a pretty broad support among the general population including gun owners for the red flag laws and universal background checks. Same with high capacity magazines. I think the only thing that could alter the course we are headed down is if there is a push for even more restrictive laws soon after these pass. As it is now, most people don't have the fear of the government taking their personal protection or hunting firearms.

It all starts with the individual and the idea of "all about me".What I want.What's best for me.I want to do what I want to do and everyone else make it possible."It's everyone's fault but mine."

Do some 'back reading' on CT and you will quickly realize that "Meeeee!" attitude is and always has been very prevalent... even here at CT.
Very very few people will actually fight for their own rights, much less the rights of others and they will use any and every excuse they can come up with.. not to. The Hammonds, Bundys and Finnicums of the world are a very very small minority.

Quote: "An interesting little artifact from Prison Policy Initiative, which reports that the state with the lowest incarceration rate in the country is Vermont. This should probably not be surprising. Vermont, per the Death Penalty Initiative, also consistently has either the lowest or second-lowest number of murders in the country. And FBI statistics show that the state routinely ranks as one of the five safest. In 2012, there were eight murders there — just two of which involved firearms.
Why is this interesting? Well, because it does some damage to the idea that there is an ironclad link between the availability of firearms and crime. Not only does Vermont essentially have no gun laws at all, but the state's residents own more guns per capita than those of any other. (It is estimated that between 70 and 75 percent of Vermonters own firearms)."
Full article:
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/vermont-safe-and-happy-and-armed-teeth-charles-c-w-cooke/

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Quote: "An interesting little artifact from Prison Policy Initiative, which reports that the state with the lowest incarceration rate in the country is Vermont. This should probably not be surprising. Vermont, per the Death Penalty Initiative, also consistently has either the lowest or second-lowest number of murders in the country. And FBI statistics show that the state routinely ranks as one of the five safest. In 2012, there were eight murders there — just two of which involved firearms.
Why is this interesting? Well, because it does some damage to the idea that there is an ironclad link between the availability of firearms and crime. Not only does Vermont essentially have no gun laws at all, but the state's residents own more guns per capita than those of any other. (It is estimated that between 70 and 75 percent of Vermonters own firearms)."
Full article:
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/vermont-safe-and-happy-and-armed-teeth-charles-c-w-cooke/

Excellent post.

Seems the rally didn't matter to the liberal state Senate. One of them even called people at the rally idiots. The gun control measures are going through the state Senate still with several more proposed.

Latest posts