Probably know shortly about 2nd amendment rights...

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
HDRider said:
No violence reported

Do you think any minds were changed?

I do.

I think the Governor and the state congress are asking themselves if they will get reelected.

I also think some expected to go there to incite violence, and reconsidered based on the number of gun toters outside the no-gun fence.

I think some other states are going to be less likely to push anti 2nd laws.

I think some anti-gunners were surprised that there was no violence.

The governor only gets one term here, so other than higher aspirations, he's got nothing to lose.

JW IN VA said:
A child is far more likely to be murdered by abortion in the US than by a gun.

It's genocide by the party that supports it. Fifty million so far since 1973 with the majority ending up being blue voters. The party is in lock step with Margaret Sangers genocide policies.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.desmoinesregister.com/amp/24530159

JW IN VA said:
A child is far more likely to be murdered by abortion in the US than by a gun.

Yes agreed, most likely car accidents kill more too. But that doesn't solve the problem of children being shot. I like smokinm and cb posts, getting to the root of the cause. We had the same here. My father told me he could take the train to the city, buy tins of explosive and detonators for land clearing and come home on the train. Explosives and guns were a tool for good people going about life. But as society has become about ones self these days and kids are being left to grow up without direction and becoming deranged they are also turning to guns as tools to do stupid things. Not to say back in the day it didn't happen because it did, just not to the level it is today. So something needs to be done. Gun control here has been a good thing, it disarmed all the drongos running around the streets but we from the land still have our guns. We had all the same concerns you are going through over there but the results were quite different to what i thought they would be. Having said that i don't think our laws would work for you. You have a different society and a different social landscape and there are a lot of guns in the wrong hands to start with. Somehow you have to figure out an approach before they do reduce you to single shot guns. From an outsider looking in it seems the anti gun people are united and the pro gun people are divided. That is not helping your cause.

Redgully, what are the rules there out of curiosity? It is interesting that is how it seems to the outside. I would say in reality like most things you see the two extremes the most with a whole lot in the middle. I think the pro gun side is very united, the rally the other day was just a drop in the bucket of the pro gun sentiment here. How much this country has changed, I graduated school less than 25 yrs. ago. We all had guns in our trucks, kept out of sight obviously, in the school parking lot because we all hunted together before and after school. The thought of a school shooting never crossed our minds.

SmokinM said:
Redgully, what are the rules there out of curiosity? It is interesting that is how it seems to the outside. I would say in reality like most things you see the two extremes the most with a whole lot in the middle. I think the pro gun side is very united, the rally the other day was just a drop in the bucket of the pro gun sentiment here. How much this country has changed, I graduated school less than 25 yrs. ago. We all had guns in our trucks, kept out of sight obviously, in the school parking lot because we all hunted together before and after school. The thought of a school shooting never crossed our minds.

Yeah things here are so different to when i grew up. We would always have a gun with us, or in the ute. The laws here are a little over the top but it is what it is. It varies from state to state. Here in the west i am not 100% up on them but basically you need to own 5 acres of land to be able to own a gun or supply details of a property and owner of land who signs that you can use their property for shooting. Lots of gun shops own some remote land and sign you up to that. Repeat firing, automatic and semi automatic guns are banned, need to be bolt action. Not sure how many rounds magazines are limited to but a lot of people modify those. There is still some pretty high powered stuff out there, i know a guy who shoots camels at 1km, that takes a pretty good gun. Storage is the pia. Every gun not in use must be in a locked cabinet which must be bolted to the floor and back from inside. All ammuntion must be locked in a seperate compartment. Only the owner of guns can know where keys are so two gun owners can't keep guns in same cabinet. But easy to have someones guns on your license too. Many people get busted during inspections when they ask the wife for keys to inspect guns, she gets them and not meant to know where kept. Trick is to play dumb or be a co licensee. There is cooling off periods before any guns can be bought after applying for it. Can still get double barrel shotguns and pretty sure pump action too. Well that is it in a nutshell.

Best first step would be to repeal the gun laws we have.

Good people should not be penalized because of the actions of bad people.

Redgully, you don't mention pistols at all. Are they allowed. I bear hunt with a 44mag with a 8 3/8" barrel and everyday carry is a Glock with 15 rd mag.

kenny thomas said:
Redgully, you don't mention pistols at all. Are they allowed. I bear hunt with a 44mag with a 8 3/8" barrel and everyday carry is a Glock with 15 rd mag.
Kenny good points.
Most people I know carry.
My choice is a 1911.

Caustic Burno said:
kenny thomas said:
Kenny good points.
Most people I know carry.
My choice is a 1911.

I know a few fellas who carry sidearms. I know a few who don't.

Instead of penalizing people who haven't committed a crime,why don't we just start teaching morals,responsibility and accountability again.No exceptions for being Grandma and Grandaddy's "pet" or one parents pawn against the other who are allowed to do whatever and it's always someone else's fault.
People have bought into this "me" thing to where they think they should be able to do whatever they want and there won't be any consequences for them.
Want to do whatever? Okay.The gov't will pick up the bill and make it right.Get into drugs,we'll pay for rehab.Get a baby on the way you find inconvenient? No problem,we have on demand abortion and we won't let your parents know.ETc,etc. NO.

Slaves are made in these ways.

kenny thomas said:

Forgot to mention pistols, not aloud unless at gun clubs. Before the changes you could have a pistol if belonging to a gun club or had a need for one, such as cattleman and keep them at your residence. But now if you own one i am pretty sure it has to be kept at the club. Only remote cattleman are aloud pistols but I'm not 100% sure on that. Definitely not aloud to carry with you and i know that would bother many of you. If you lose that right you will never get it back. We are slowly seeing an easing off of some restrictions but never on pistols. Obviously the police still carry and armed gaurds.

YIKES!! I feel sorry for you Aussies. Yeah that won't fly here! Stay tuned folks they are hell bent on passing this stuff here in VA. Seem to think that the rally was all the gun supporters in this country. Wasn't even all the gun supporters in 2 counties there. Election Day can't get here fast enough.

Redgully said:
kenny thomas said:

Forgot to mention pistols, not aloud unless at gun clubs. Before the changes you could have a pistol if belonging to a gun club or had a need for one, such as cattleman and keep them at your residence. But now if you own one i am pretty sure it has to be kept at the club. Only remote cattleman are aloud pistols but I'm not 100% sure on that. Definitely not aloud to carry with you and i know that would bother many of you. If you lose that right you will never get it back. We are slowly seeing an easing off of some restrictions but never on pistols. Obviously the police still carry and armed gaurds.
I hope I don't live long enough to see our rights to carry taken away. Evidently the stealing, drugs, and murders are not as bad there. Do you think the gun control laws have made it safe? Here in Chicago the gun control is very strict and it has some of the highest crime rates and shootings in the US.

Redgully said:
...i know a guy who shoots camels at 1km...

I don't want to disrupt this thread but I'd love to hear more about this in a different one.

Another question redgully, this really interests me as to how it came to be. How did the gun control laws start there? Did people volunteer to just turn their guns in to the government.
Surely there were some that didn't just give them up freely. Did law enforcement come and raid the house and take them?
Inspection of guns at home was mentioned and the wife couldn't know where the key was or she would be breaking the law. Do you feel you are living in a free country?

Good questions, we have lots of crime but very little shootings. You never feel a threat of being shot here when out and about, there simply isn't any guns in the cities. It all started with the port arthur massacre. Then prime minister John Howard decided he was going to change the gun laws and did. We fought tooth and nail to stop it. He was gutsy, went to the pro gun rallies and addressed the people. He wore a bullet proof vest one time and regrets that but wore it on advice. They held a gun amnesty and the people responded handing in thousands of guns, licensed or not. My neighbour had a .22 repeater he had bought in Italy. Not licensed but handed it in. I wouldnt have. I remember them having a blast with it before they took it in. My brother inlaw had a 22 that was his great grandfathers gun. It was classed as not legal. He could have had it modified or plugged with lead to keep it but handed it in. I would have kept it. We only had bolt action guns as dad was always very gun cautious so we kept ours. We only had six guns. They didn't do any raids i know of but did send orders of confiscation to people who didn't and i think there were fines. Even undesirable people who have guns stashed away are scared to use them in crime or they know they will lose them. I do feel i live in a free country because there is laws with everything. If you break the law driving you lose your license. And the wife knows where the keys are.....

But our situation is much different to yours, we are an island, yes some guns are smuggled in but very difficult. There was not a lot of guns on the ground to start with, especially pistols and high powered stuff.

Latest posts