Priefert or WW chute for the money? Or For-most?

Help Support CattleToday:

Having second thoughts on the Priefert Rancher after looking at several differnet ones at the machinery show. That chutes seems to be pretty narrow, 24.5" opening into the back at the sliding gate. Seems like it might not handle some large cows. Also looked at a For-most at the show, any thoughts on these? I like the For-most manual gate and Priefert's gate because they talk all head sizes without adjustment. http://www.for-most.com is the site if anyone cares to give me their thoughts looking at the 375 or 450 chutes. Thanks.

Tom do you have a cattleman's association in your county? The reason I'm asking is that Ky has a cost share program on cattle handling facilities. It will pay 50% on handling facilities up to 3000 of 6000 total I think. There are some guide lines to follow. Usually around now is when we start taking applications. I'll find the link and post it here if I can find it. Call your extenstion agent to find out they would also know. What county do you live in?

We would of had trouble justifying the squeeze chute but at half price we couldn't pass it up. Btw we also considered the formost they looked real good but I can't remember what model though. We haven't had any problems working a 2000 pound limo bull in our priefert but I always dread them, but I just hate fooling with bulls.

Here is the link http://kytobaccotrust.state.ky.us/funds/handling.shtml
Patrick

We've had a Fore-Most for over 12 years now. It's a great chute. Very sturdy (And y'all know it has to be for my crazy BRAMERS) and easy to operate. We've got the palp cage on the back, which is a must have in my opinion. I especially like it because both sides open out, both bottom panels come out, and it has three doors that open on each side on the top, for giving injections.

We've moved it to three different farms, and it's still in great shape. We paid $2400 for it 12 years ago.

There is a company called LVI that is now located in Coleman, TX. They make a really good chute for the money. Their self catch head gate is manipulated by gears and chains rather than bars and levers. Looks to me like they would last without the slack that develops in a chute. Before steel went crazy they were selling for about $1300-1400. If I had 500 cows I would buy a WW. (I have a well used WW). Since I only have 35 I will give the LVI chute a try if I ever decide to buy a new one. I have used my neighbors LVI a few times and it seems to work well.

Bull Lady,
do you use the manual gate, model 30?

Dun,
does your Priefert handle large cows ok?

Larry,
Cowco was not at the show but I did call him, but he was gone and talked to a guy in the shop. His new model chute is $3500 and would have to go all the way up ther just to look. Going to try him again and see if he is going to the beef expo. Is his headgate simialr to Priefert's?

Went to auction yesterday were a dairy was selling out due to health reasons. They had a 2 year old For-most chute that had been well used and it sold for about $250 less than new. Everything at the sale was high, these guy's must make more money doing this than me.

poorboy wrote
Ky has a cost share program on cattle handling facilities. It will pay 50% on handling facilities up to 3000 of 6000 total
:stop: Shuuuuu! FYI........I'd be careful letting folks around here know that you didn't pay full price. Some people are very much against "handouts" and will get upset. You dont want the possee saddling up and coming after you. They can be very mean and ornery. :nod:
But, as long as they don't live in Ky, I think that you will be alright seeing that it is a state funded program. If it was federal, then you would be taking money out of their pockets. And you dont want to do that.

That was funny rite ther. I dont care who u r..........Get 'R' Done! :lol: :lol: :lol:

tom4018":tq7jnzuu said:
Dun,
does your Priefert handle large cows ok?

Our biggest cow is 1680 lbs and she has no problem. The rear gate only opens to 25 inches but one of them have had a problems. The previous chute has about 3 inches narrower and it just wouldn;t work with some of the cows. Priefert exchanged at no cost and provided the labor the et the old chute out and loaded and the new one installed.

dun

Tom,

We have the self catching head gate. Works very well.

The Foremost is really well designed also, in that it's realitively easy to adjust it for small or large cattle.

9 ER":1fm33nbs said:
:stop: Shuuuuu! FYI........I'd be careful letting folks around here know that you didn't pay full price. Some people are very much against "handouts" and will get upset.
That's a good point, 9 ER. Many of us are against giving away the country. And some of you folks that nurse at the government tit are just as bad of an investment for the taxpayer. Not you, of course. :D

9 ER":1fm33nbs said:
But, as long as they don't live in Ky, I think that you will be alright seeing that it is a state funded program. If it was federal, then you would be taking money out of their pockets. And you dont want to do that.
See, that's where you're wrong. It's really not alright. Some of us that believe in free enterprise probably do care about those Kentucky grants. That money was extorted from the tobacco companies by a bunch of shyster lawyers and greedy bureaucrats. When we as citizens condone legal businesses being subjected to thievery by government officials and shyster lawyers, there is only one question that remains:

Who's next?

Of course, somebody's gonna get it anyway, right? May as well be me? Multiplied by how many parasites that have the same attitude?

TheBullLady":nfubwwzm said:
Tom,

We have the self catching head gate. Works very well.

The Foremost is really well designed also, in that it's realitively easy to adjust it for small or large cattle.

The only For-most that I worked with had the catch handle sticking out at a 180 degree angle from the chute and was at a perfect angle to wack me in the head when I walked around the cute if I didn't pay attention to it.. That's one of the reasons we went with a Priefert. The older Preiferts had several shin knockers sticking out that did the same thing only lower. I like the ability with the Priefert to catch anything from a little calf to a grown cow without having to make any adjustments too. You do have to set the handle different for different sizes, but that adjusts the width of the opening for the auto-catch and it takes no longer wether you set it narrow or wide.

dun

Hey Texan,
I just couldnt resist when I read poorboy's post. I didn't mean to get you fired up.......well, maybe just a little :)

Now I feel bad.

Texan and 9ER, I don't want to get things started since you are unaware of the situation, but that was actually money the tobacco companies agreeed to settle in the tobacco buyout. I can't say that I agree with the process but this money was actually to go to the farmers but was heisted by the state in the agreement. This was our money to start with since our family has grown tobacco since the 20's here. The state took a portion of the money and allocated it to programs to diversify the industry. I guess thats a good thing but now we have to jump through several hoops to get our share.

We have gone down in tobacco production to a 5th of what we were raising here on the farm and pretty much the state except for the big producers who have brought in migrant labor. Try cutting your income by 80% and see what tit you will be sucking.
We haven't taken anything from the federal gov. and certainly not from the state. And I sure not taking anything from you ,you take that as how ever you want :mad:

Now let me see what other crop we can get into that will make 2000 an acre. Maybe strawberries or maybe catfish, I know Kentucky is famous for their shrimp industry. The state has researched them and more but that's not realistic in the mountains, although we have had the rain this year. :) So for the past 6 years we have been trying to build up the hobbie herd into something that will at least pay for the upkeep and pay the taxes. We happen to have enough land to run 50-60 mommas. Except for a few exceptions like us everyone else around is without many options. Definitly no new blood and most have retired. I can count 5 people in two counties that farm and are under 40 years old I sure they are a few others but not many and I can't blame them. It' pretty costly to jump into from scratch and expect to break even on cows especially the last few years. We were lucky though and had gotten into full swing about the right time and are only now planning to keep over replacements instead of increase of numbers. We have raised our own mommas and don't currrently have a brute that was bought. We would have been better off buying in the long run but everything free and clear is purty nice when the income is uncertain. Dad has since retired from working off the farm and I teach a mile down the road. Dad said he guessed he would raise cattle and grandsons and didn't expect to make a dime off of either :lol:

Sad though :cry: , the last auction was last week or so. These guys had had there whole way of life changed. The younger ones can move off and move on but the older ones haven't got a clue. Contract buying from here on out if they don't like what you have you can have a 1.50 a pound nicotine party in the backyard. With cows you currently know you have a market ( lets try to keep it that way) if nothing else you could eat you way out till the prices rose. Nothing like spending 5-600 an acre and if nature works out right you still can't get anything back. Even more risky than raising hay which is another pastime of mine.

Between teaching, raising tobacco, baling hay and breeding heifers it wouldn't be safe for me to go to the riverboat because I guess I am a gambler at heart and like to bet on the long shots ;-) I guess I will steer the sons away from bottle calves since I know it's in the genes :)

I was just trying to give the guy some advice here or aleast let him know what was available and let him make his own decisions, especially given the situation in our state. Except for a few panels and a squeeze chute (Still had to pay taxes on the whole amount)we haven't took anything from anyone and that was just blood money from the industry to buy out the little producers and do away with any regulations in our industry and they have not meet up with their end of the deal but that is another story :?: BTW the state has other plans when its not used by the farmers and who benifits from this? The people do except when the farmers stop having any income and the tax base goes away. I am getting sick of the state robbing Peter to pay Paul, but I guess that is how a budget works. Who knew Paul would go into the line of health insurance ?:shock:

We would sure give it up to be able to grow it again without out going in
the hole. Hard work but rewarding but a way of life that is gone. Many small farms here will grow up or turned into house seats which is progress I suppose but it sure is sad especially since my sons are the seventh generation to grow up here. Neither the indians, yankees or the rebels have ran us off but the shyster lawyers on both sides of this issue has made my sons prospects slim for the future to stay in this area, I guess we are not a hardly lot like the old timers. Oh well, haven't got the energy for pity I just think I will get fat and lazy and drive around and look at my overpriced cattle like a real cowboy :D

Sorry for the rant and I will not try to help out anyone else, At least I didn't mention the futures market :p
Poorboy

Sorry Tom I didn't mean to highjack your post and stop the flow of information on the topic. With the increase of tags and shot methods now and in the future a fellow can't just run them in a trailer and shoot them in the butt anymore and stay in the business.

Poorboy

That is ok Poorboy, it is nice to see another fellow Kentuckian on here. I know what you mean about not just running them in the trailer. Thats is one reason we want to improve things along with our safety and the cows saferty too. I did double check on the cost share and it si all going to forage in our county right now. I did bite the bullet and order my just, a Priefert. Sure do hate parting with the $$$$$$$ but I guesss that is normal for a tight wad. Thanks for everyones input.

poorboy":31erdq1m said:
Texan and 9ER, I don't want to get things started since you are unaware of the situation, but that was actually money the tobacco companies agreeed to settle in the tobacco buyout. I can't say that I agree with the process but this money was actually to go to the farmers but was heisted by the state in the agreement. This was our money to start with since our family has grown tobacco since the 20's here. The state took a portion of the money and allocated it to programs to diversify the industry. I guess thats a good thing but now we have to jump through several hoops to get our share.

We have gone down in tobacco production to a 5th of what we were raising here on the farm and pretty much the state except for the big producers who have brought in migrant labor. Try cutting your income by 80% and see what tit you will be sucking.
We haven't taken anything from the federal gov. and certainly not from the state. And I sure not taking anything from you ,you take that as how ever you want :mad:

Now let me see what other crop we can get into that will make 2000 an acre. Maybe strawberries or maybe catfish, I know Kentucky is famous for their shrimp industry. The state has researched them and more but that's not realistic in the mountains, although we have had the rain this year. :) So for the past 6 years we have been trying to build up the hobbie herd into something that will at least pay for the upkeep and pay the taxes. We happen to have enough land to run 50-60 mommas. Except for a few exceptions like us everyone else around is without many options. Definitly no new blood and most have retired. I can count 5 people in two counties that farm and are under 40 years old I sure they are a few others but not many and I can't blame them. It' pretty costly to jump into from scratch and expect to break even on cows especially the last few years. We were lucky though and had gotten into full swing about the right time and are only now planning to keep over replacements instead of increase of numbers. We have raised our own mommas and don't currrently have a brute that was bought. We would have been better off buying in the long run but everything free and clear is purty nice when the income is uncertain. Dad has since retired from working off the farm and I teach a mile down the road. Dad said he guessed he would raise cattle and grandsons and didn't expect to make a dime off of either :lol:

Sad though :cry: , the last auction was last week or so. These guys had had there whole way of life changed. The younger ones can move off and move on but the older ones haven't got a clue. Contract buying from here on out if they don't like what you have you can have a 1.50 a pound nicotine party in the backyard. With cows you currently know you have a market ( lets try to keep it that way) if nothing else you could eat you way out till the prices rose. Nothing like spending 5-600 an acre and if nature works out right you still can't get anything back. Even more risky than raising hay which is another pastime of mine.

Between teaching, raising tobacco, baling hay and breeding heifers it wouldn't be safe for me to go to the riverboat because I guess I am a gambler at heart and like to bet on the long shots ;-) I guess I will steer the sons away from bottle calves since I know it's in the genes :)

I was just trying to give the guy some advice here or aleast let him know what was available and let him make his own decisions, especially given the situation in our state. Except for a few panels and a squeeze chute (Still had to pay taxes on the whole amount)we haven't took anything from anyone and that was just blood money from the industry to buy out the little producers and do away with any regulations in our industry and they have not meet up with their end of the deal but that is another story :?: BTW the state has other plans when its not used by the farmers and who benifits from this? The people do except when the farmers stop having any income and the tax base goes away. I am getting sick of the state robbing Peter to pay Paul, but I guess that is how a budget works. Who knew Paul would go into the line of health insurance ?:shock:

We would sure give it up to be able to grow it again without out going in
the hole. Hard work but rewarding but a way of life that is gone. Many small farms here will grow up or turned into house seats which is progress I suppose but it sure is sad especially since my sons are the seventh generation to grow up here. Neither the indians, yankees or the rebels have ran us off but the shyster lawyers on both sides of this issue has made my sons prospects slim for the future to stay in this area, I guess we are not a hardly lot like the old timers. Oh well, haven't got the energy for pity I just think I will get fat and lazy and drive around and look at my overpriced cattle like a real cowboy :D

Sorry for the rant and I will not try to help out anyone else, At least I didn't mention the futures market :p
Poorboy

Excellent post there poorboy. Keep trying help others out.

Our family owns a feed store and we carry alot of chutes. From the ones I have seen come through our store I like WW and Big Valley the best. The Prefeirt ones that have come through just don't look like they would do to well. They don't look like the automatic headgates open wide enough for big cows and big bulls.

Poorboy

Maybe if you grew a real crop(cotton) and not a crop that kills millions of Americans(tobacco), then maybe I would feel sorry for you!

If you're looking for a new crop to grow, how about marajuana? See how many more lives you can destroy :mad:

"aint nothing more evil than a damn boll weevil!"

Well, I am not sure where to start or if I want to start. Ok, I'll bite on your trying to get a rise but just a little.
NO, I changed my mind because I just as soon let this thread die since Tom has already commited on a chute, Nice try though! :D

Since this is the wrong place for this discussion Boll let's step outside. How about one of the other areas? I'm a calling you out :cboy:

Poorboy

Since this is the wrong place for this discussion Boll let's step outside. How about one of the other areas? I'm a calling you out

Are you challenging me to a debate? If I ask someone to step outside it aint gonna be for no damn debate. You had better pack a lunch!

How does it feel to know that YOU contribute to so many deaths and health problems? Does it put a smile on your face when you see someone who has lung, throat, or lip cancer? Do you feel even the slightest bit of remorse? I guess that you are gonna say that it was their choice to use tobacco. Funny, because that's the same thing that drug dealers say!

Have a great life and I hope you can still sleep at night.

"aint nothing more evil than a damn boll weevil!"

Latest posts