Priefert or WW chute for the money? Or For-most?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Narrowed my choices down to a Priefert Rancher or WW Beefmaster chute for the price. What works better the gate that slides open(Priefert) or one that swings open(WW)? Prifert Rancher with auto gate is $1900 or WW is $2500. Any suggestions? :?:

Strictly personal preference, I've used both. I far and away prefer the Preifert. I've never missed a catch with it set to auto, missed a goodly number with the WW auto once the cows got wise to it.

dun

Dun, which model Priefert do you have? I am looking at the new Rancher that has the back gate that slides. To me saving the $500 to 600 over the WW is one more calf the way I look at it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Tom, my dad and I have the priefert model and I have nothing but good things to say. I would also have to reccomend the carriage kit if you ever thought about moving it it works slick. Where are you at in Ky. I'm in the eastern part?

Patrick

We have a WW Beefmaster with palpation cage and the trailer for it. Never have had any problem with it. Also noticed on a side by side comparison that the WW is larger overall than the Preifert. Might want to consider that part if you run large cattle. WW was recommended to us because Brahmans are more willing to go into a taller chute and if the headgate top is not high enough they will scrape their humps upon exiting.

But the Preifert looks perfectly suitable for any English type cattle.

tom4018":jpp03s1t said:
Dun, which model Priefert do you have? I am looking at the new Rancher that has the back gate that slides. To me saving the $500 to 600 over the WW is one more calf the way I look at it. Thanks for your thoughts.

That's the one we've got. The only real trick I've found is to grease the top rail where the rear gate slides. Measure the inside width of the chute. t one time that model was too narrow, they've since widened it but don;t know if some of the older ones may still be floating around.

dun

We have two WW chutes, work well. When we were in the market for the second one, we didn't even look at others. We did that very carefully for the first. They are rugged, and it will handle some crazy cattle - which of course go righ out the loading ramp for a ride. I assume these are new and that they are galvanized? The old painted ones including corral panels were very prone to rust.

Billy

MrBilly":ce8evoj1 said:
WW chutes, They are rugged, and it will handle some crazy cattle

Valid point. Although we haven't had a problem with the Priefert, years ago we had a cow "Crazy Alice" that did damage to our old, 25 years ago, WW. She would probably destroy our Priefert.

dun

The Priefert has went up to $2050 compared to $2500 for the WW. For a small herd its a hard decision. Is the WW worth the extra cost?

I have a stronghold. Works well but, the sliding head gates like you mentioned on the preifert will tend to catch and bind every so often. And it is usually when that crazy one comes thru. You know...the one that ran the help to the top of the panel gates after an hour of trying to push her thru the run, then you miss her cause the sliding gates got bound and you couldn't get them shut...

tom4018":1kr03mvq said:
The Priefert has went up to $2050 compared to $2500 for the WW. For a small herd its a hard decision. Is the WW worth the extra cost?

Find out what each one weighs and then figure out how much they are per pound, will tell you a lot, could be just about equal per pound which would mean you would be buying more chute with the WW for the extra money.

I know this doesn't make sense but think about it.

certherfbeef":109hmu6y said:
I have a stronghold. Works well but, the sliding head gates like you mentioned on the preifert will tend to catch and bind every so often. And it is usually when that crazy one comes thru. You know...the one that ran the help to the top of the panel gates after an hour of trying to push her thru the run, then you miss her cause the sliding gates got bound and you couldn't get them shut...

TOM4018 The Cowco unit - sold just nort of Louisville is on same plan as Stronghold - just better and better $. Suggest going to National Farm Mach. Show before this week is over and look at all of them in one spot. My vet uses the Priefert - but for my $ the Cowco is the only one to buy.
See Joe Biehle 800-240-3868

Dun, when using your Priefert do you set it automatic or manual? Just curious how well the automatic works catching one. Think I how made my mind up to buy one for the money after looking at all of them at the machinery show.

tom4018":1n7spt51 said:
Dun, when using your Priefert do you set it automatic or manual? Just curious how well the automatic works catching one. Think I how made my mind up to buy one for the money after looking at all of them at the machinery show.

I set it to auto, then if she's reluctant to go in I'll open a little manually and catch her, but it's the spring that actually closes it. I just hold the handle up when she goes in and I don;t have to pull it down, just let go. Haven't (knock on wood) missed one yet with this headgate.

dun

Larry Sansom":pz7lkhwm said:
TOM4018 The Cowco unit - sold just nort of Louisville is on same plan as Stronghold - just better and better $.but for my $ the Cowco is the only one to buy.
See Joe Biehle 800-240-3868

Looked Cowco up on the internet. All I saw was the stronghold units.

WW makes a heck of a good chute....I like Priefert head gates for those remote spotswhere you dont needa chute but just want a headgate that you can take with you in the back of the truck

Latest posts