Priefert head gate pics for Bigfoot

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
Bigfoot, you asked me to post some pics of the self-adjusting feature on the priefert head gate. I finally rembered to take you a couple of pics, sorry it took so long. First one is with a 160 lb calf, the second one is with a cow caught. No adjusting at all. Much easier to operate than the butterfly type head gates.

I have the same headgate and you couldn't pay me to go back to a saloon door style. Like my model 91 headgate so much that I went and bought their squeeze chute this spring.

Bigfoot":2zlsn9d7 said:
Sweet. I gotta get rid of my saloon door head gate.
I tried a saloon door head gate with the intentions that I could take it back if I didn't like it. It went back as I don't see how anybody can use one of those POS. It is not perfect but my Priefert works pretty good. I bought this one new at an auction and it is not their biggest, but I have had 1600 lbs cows and a 2100 bull in it before.

http://www.ruralking.com/model-s0191-squeeze-chute.html

3LWToee.jpg

talltimber":upbxhu2n said:
That's the same chute I have. I really like it, works good. Tight for my old bull but everything else fits fine
The S04 is only 1" bigger at the belly pipes over the SO191. That would help a little, but not much.

The S0191 will do anything the S04 will do, but some not as handy. This is a picture of a SO191.
priefert_rancher_cattle_squeeze_chute_s0191_2.jpg

My complaints with it instead of the S04 is the rear gate, hate that sliding thing and even though it isn;t much wider it's enough that everything fits in it. They didn;t in the s0191.

Mine is the auto catch but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to set it, I guess. I have a lever and some holes in a piece of flat stock but doesn't look like much of a design. I would use it if I trusted it, but when I am alone, I don't want to take the chance of turning something out that I managed to get up by myself. Is anyone actually using this auto catch feature on this unit with success?

talltimber":2imwlsyu said:
Mine is the auto catch but I'm not smart enough to figure out how to set it, I guess. I have a lever and some holes in a piece of flat stock but doesn't look like much of a design. I would use it if I trusted it, but when I am alone, I don't want to take the chance of turning something out that I managed to get up by myself. Is anyone actually using this auto catch feature on this unit with success?
I catch em by myself with the auto catch. It works good, but I keep the release points oiled and slicked up. When they stick their head through it releases the catch and their shoulders stop them, and then the head gate tightens up on em. Just barely set the release, have it filed slick and oiled and it works every time.

talltimber":3ao7vbzt said:
That's all I use. Just remember to set it so there is barely any engagement of the pin in the hole. Unless they bump the gate it won;t trip so you have to reach up and flip it.

dun":3v7yex1y said:
Just remember to set it so there is barely any engagement of the pin in the hole. Unless they bump the gate it won;t trip so you have to reach up and flip it.
This is how I set it as well, with a "hair trigger" you could say. It didn't make sense to me until I watched the video on the Priefert website, then it's was obvious. For my cows, I don't actually use the holes. I use the end of the bar that the holes are in, it leaves a bigger opening for them to put their heads through. But mine are usually walking through. I could see where the occasional high strung one might get a shoulder through using my method.

jltrent":2uapzy1p said:
talltimber":2uapzy1p said:
I catch em by myself with the auto catch. It works good, but I keep the release points oiled and slicked up. When they stick their head through it releases the catch and their shoulders stop them, and then the head gate tightens up on em. Just barely set the release, have it filed slick and oiled and it works every time.
Auto catch is all I use and it hasn't failed if I operate properly. I made a mistake and sprayed the pin with WD40 the other day (for rust purposes) and couldn't keep it from setting off. That was a major pain in the azz. Keep the lock mechanism lubed and doors free from build up. The only problem I have with my chute is the side gate release will not work and you cant get to it.

M.Magis":2hgijww4 said:
dun":2hgijww4 said:
Just remember to set it so there is barely any engagement of the pin in the hole. Unless they bump the gate it won;t trip so you have to reach up and flip it.
This is how I set it as well, with a "hair trigger" you could say. It didn't make sense to me until I watched the video on the Priefert website, then it's was obvious. For my cows, I don't actually use the holes. I use the end of the bar that the holes are in, it leaves a bigger opening for them to put their heads through. But mine are usually walking through. I could see where the occasional high strung one might get a shoulder through using my method.
I have to use the second hole no matter what. If I use the first hole, the cow just stops or will not go in. If I use the third hole they get a foot through the door and I try top avoid that. Second hole works flawless for me, just enough to stick head through.

M.Magis":279w3zyc said:
dun":279w3zyc said:
Except for yearlings and calves that's what I use too.

The auto catch on mine works every time. Set it to the width you want and let them hit it. Mine doesn't always release great but I can get the rear door **** behind them and then open the head hate and re catch if needed. Not perfect but it works just fine. Just takes some getting used to.

jltrent":2aokj6au said:
Bigfoot":2aokj6au said:
Sweet. I gotta get rid of my saloon door head gate.
I tried a saloon door head gate with the intentions that I could take it back if I didn't like it. It went back as I don't see how anybody can use one of those POS. It is not perfect but my Priefert works pretty good. I bought this one new at an auction and it is not their biggest, but I have had 1600 lbs cows and a 2100 bull in it before.

http://www.ruralking.com/model-s0191-squeeze-chute.html

3LWToee.jpg
You fixin to dehorn something?

Latest posts