Price to custom bale?

Help Support CattleToday:

Andrew

Reaction score
Hello,
Anyone in N.Central Texas know what a going rate for custom baling is? I've heard people says it should cost $12 - $16 per bale but when I asked a guy he quoted me $20.

I'm just wondering if its high or low. I'm in Navarro County, Texas.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew":2c721ihq said:
Hello,
Anyone in N.Central Texas know what a going rate for custom baling is? I've heard people says it should cost $12 - $16 per bale but when I asked a guy he quoted me $20.

Thanks,
Andrew

"By the Bale" is not a good way to do it.

When the hay is thin, the custom baler gets screwed.

When the hay is thick, the landowner gets screwed.

Plus the size of the bale comes in to play.

Get a price by the ton or by the acre.

Mike
What I have learned from reading this forum it is a lot of difference how people do things from one region or state to another
Down here if you want it baled you pay what they want or they go elsewhere they do not negotiate also if the hay is thin they charge so much per acre + per bale

This is not Texas but Alabama. Here is what I have just worked out with my Custom Baler:

The Custom Baler will cut, tedder, rake and bale 5'x4" bales weighing 800 - 1000 lbs or small square bales averaging 47 lbs:

If I fertlize - 5'x4' rounds = $12 OR 47lb square bales = $1

If I don't fertlize - 5'x4" rounds = $15 OR 47lb square bales = $1.25

The Custom Baler will furnish all supplies.

Around here ( north east Texas) it is 17.50 to 22.50 a bale for 5X6 bales. Allot depends on how heavy the hay, size of the field, ease of cuting ( ie allot of terraces, trees or nice square field).
I heard of some charging 25 last year for real thin hay fields.

Andrew":1vp41qax said:
Hello,

Thanks,
Andrew

Question is that price including cutting the hay? We pay 7.50 for string and 8.50 or 9 for net wrap 5x6 we swath it and rakeit ourselves. We bale small squares ourselfes then any hay that gets rain gets rolled.

Where I live, the going rate last year was $16-17 for a 4x5 round bale. That means cutting, raking, and baling.
I assume that price will be going up....

I'm in Central Texas. Last year I was charged $23.00 for 5x5's and $1.50 for squares. Did I mention my last fert. ran $235.00/ton 300lbs/acre????

ElginRinger":6e9i34jn said:
I'm in Central Texas. Last year I was charged $23.00 for 5x5's and $1.50 for squares. Did I mention my last fert. ran $235.00/ton 300lbs/acre????

Last year I paid $380/ton, liked to fell over dead. Experimenting with Intensive Grazing on leased pasture this year to see if I can offset the cost of fertilizer by utilizing the available organic.

Yes, the $20 includes al the work and material to bale.

I don't disagree with the price, I just don't know what to do with the hay onced its baled. Since I've never baled or even used hay, I'm a bit apprehensive about the big investment. Everyone I asked says I can always sell it but since I've never done it, I'm just a bit afraid I'm goning to get stuck with a bunch of hay and have no use for it.

Andrew

Trust me. You will not be stuck with the hay. We were quoted $20 for 4 x 5 round bales last year. PM me and I would be interested in some.

birdog
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:19 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ElginRinger wrote:

Last year I paid $380/ton, liked to fell over dead. Experimenting with Intensive Grazing on leased pasture this year to see if I can offset the cost of fertilizer by utilizing the available organic.

$380 for hay or to get it baled??

Herefordcross":14a8c7g8 said:
birdog
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:19 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ElginRinger wrote:

$380 for hay or to get it baled??

I think that was $380 per ton of fertilizer.

skyline":3s8hdl0b said:
I think that was $380 per ton of fertilizer.

I just paid $375 a ton and apparently got a very good deal on it.

When I was having smaller acreage baled, I paid $18. When I had about 80 acres of coastal baled, I paid $13.50 per bale. I think the amount of hay in your field and the size of the field make a difference is price quotes.

Latest posts