Custom Intensive Grazing Business

Help Support CattleToday:

Did you fence them out of where they had already grazed?

I had a back fence that I would move around once a week when I would move the water trough up the strip. It didn't rally matter because the soil moisture was already depleted and I didn't get much regrowth.
When I was around two-thirds the way through the strip we got a freak rainstorm, Five inches in a couple days. The strip that was grazed the day of the storm was pugged badly but after a couple of days the soil had firmed up and pugging was no longer an issue.

My vision is to start out by helping people maximize the forage resources they already have. I will provide the materials and labor to implement total grazing; and at the end of the grazing season, I will get payed based how much additional forage production I provide.
The only out of pocket costs, my clients might have is some protein supplement.
You really have two separate, but related components to what you are saying you want to do. You have the plan development you are suggesting you do, and then you have the implementation of the plan, or management of the plan. If you are still looking at this, look into becoming a Technical Service Provider (TSP) for the NRCS for grazing plan design and implementation. Every state is different in the utilization of TSPs, so I have no idea of the role they play in California. In Ohio, the NRCS exclusively uses the ODA (Ohio Department of Agriculture), in South Carolina, there is a contract agreement with a company that employs private TSPs who write/design the grazing plans. There is also another plausible scenario where the landowner is awarded a contract by the NRCS to get/have a grazing plan designed for their farm by a TSP (who would be you and your services) and then, upon completion of the plan, the producer is paid by the NRCS for the plan and the producer in turn pays you for your services.

Just pointing out that they should never be allowed to be on same ground for more than 7 days. So, if you were moving "back fence" each week, you're good.
LOL. You told me you committed the 4 never fail rules to memory. This is funny. One of 'my' rules at play before I found the forum.

Watch closely for self promotion among the internet guru's. There is a lot of good information out there but the more extra's being sold, books, schools, livestock, etc, the closer to watch their bs levels.
There are two components at work here. First, you have to know and understand your craft (rotational grazing). Second, and probably more importantly in all honesty, you need to be able to present and explain what and why you have done to your client, the producer.

Latest posts