Price of #2 RR ties for posts in your part of the country?

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know about the grades, but they go from $2 to 4 around here. Two problems - the UP doesn't "own" them anymore - they all go to sub-contractors so you have to buy them. We used to get them for free and in those days they were good heavy oak? now they are just garbage - they don't last like they used to (50 years?). Still good for H braces, pens, and things like that but not as good as the old days.

A year ago I traded a guy some oak firewood (he had to cut) for a stack of 30 ties - I'd say half were good enough to use for corners, the rest will be line posts in corral repairs - they look a lot sturdier than they are.

Also they burn when you have a fire.

If you have soil you can easily dig or drill they might be worth the same price as a t-post, but they sure are a lot more work even then. If you have hard or rocky soil t-posts are a heck of a lot easier.

HR - We'll use them for corner-braces, sporadic re-enforcement along the fence line, and as supports for huge, heavy pipe panels out of a feedlot in our cattle handling facility -- where T-posts won't work. Yeah, as I recall, I learned before 1st grade that wood burns. :)

Latest posts