Pregnancy question

Help Support CattleToday:

txfbc

Reaction score
Just had a cow deliver this morning sometime. My question is this...her last calf was born January 18, 2004. That is only 10 1/2 months. How unusual is that. I am sort of new to the cow business. I've been taking care of my grandmother's herd after my grandfather passed away two years ago. Any responses are appreciated.

That's kinda what I was thinking too, but we have 3 other cows who are 7 months, 6 months, and 3 months over 1 year since their last calf. Was beginning to have questions about our bull.

I do not know your situation, but it sounds like your bull runs with your herd on a continual basis. Small herd and year 'round calving?

Not my cup of tea, but some folks do this with a great deal of success.

Be that as it may - without a whole lot more details it could be a whole pile of things.

Old cows, infertile cows, old bull, infertile bull. Mineral deficiency, nutrition problems, health problems, abortions, weeds, maybe even VD - can't remeber the name of it - but that's what we always called it. Where has that bull been? Your cows clean, or has this guy been running around other herds before you got him - etc, etc. And the beat goes on.

Blaming the bull might be the right thing, or it might be the wrong thing. It's cheap to have him tested and given a once over - if he's a good 'un - maybe you should do this. You might have a look at the cows as well.

First step is call the vet - advice and examination is probably the order of the day.

Too many variables here. More information required before a rasonably good answer can be provided over the internet.

Bez

Bez,
You're right. There are a lot of variables that could be factoring in. Let me give a few more details. Bull is 4 yr old. out of a former cow in the herd. He is not related by blood to any of the cows. We have 11 cows and the bull. All of them have been raised here, so I know it is not something brought in by a foreigner. We have quite a few coyotes around, but haven't seen any sign of a lost calf. Nutrition could possibly be playing a role in it, but I'm really not sure. I know that in August, he rebred the cow who should have calved around April, but she never showed any sign of being near calving. The whole thing has me baffled.

Well, I think it is time for some preg checking anf bull testing.

At risk of sounding the wrong way - lost calves and coyotes? If you look at the cows on a regular basis, you'd know if she had calved and lost her calf. Too many physical signs.

Are the cows cycling regularly - if you see a bull breeds a cow - watch the calendar and then watch that cow around the 28 day mark. If she cycles again she is open - it is still a possibility that either animal could be at fault.

Tell me please that none of the cows you are concerned with is twin to a bull.

How old are the cows?

How much experience do you have with large animals? Just wondering about your assessment capability - not throwing rocks.

To get off that track before I tick you off - I believe you need the vet to come. It's probably money well spent in this case.

Any time I have an average animal that doesn't breed back she is likely to go on the first failure to breed - in your case, if you are concerned about herd numbers you need to possibly think of selling and re-buying. If she is a real winner - I might giver the benefit of the doubt - for one more chance.

I test my bulls every year before they go out with the girls. Winners stay and losers go. I only keep the real good ones for more than two years and never more than three. Others may do it differently - this is just the way we do it.

My immediate suggestion for future operation would be to pull the bull once all cows are bred or have had the opportunity to cycle twice. Sell the opens and replace them. Once the calves are born - it will be a tighter calving season, and you can evaluate cow performance - sell your losers and keep your winners.

Anyway - at this stage it is still a vet call in my mind.

Regards

Bez

txfbc":1oeoso83 said:
Bez,
You're right. There are a lot of variables that could be factoring in. Let me give a few more details. Bull is 4 yr old. out of a former cow in the herd. He is not related by blood to any of the cows. We have 11 cows and the bull. All of them have been raised here, so I know it is not something brought in by a foreigner. We have quite a few coyotes around, but haven't seen any sign of a lost calf. Nutrition could possibly be playing a role in it, but I'm really not sure. I know that in August, he rebred the cow who should have calved around April, but she never showed any sign of being near calving. The whole thing has me baffled.

Cows could have aborted and rebred. There are several things that cause abortion. Bez is right need to get them preg checked if they are not cycling. Could have a nutrientional problem.

Campground Cattle":3rp3vc9y said:
Could have a nutrientional problem.

Or a herd health problem. How is your vaccination program?

dun

As far as vaccinations go, they all got Lepto 5 shots in April, as well as Ivomec pour-on. This is what my grandad had been using and what folks at the co-op recommended as well. 2 of my 3 late cows appear to be pregnant by looking at them.
I get to check them at least 4 days a week, so I would have noticed the physical signs associated with having had a calf. I'm really only concerned that one of the 3 may not be rebred, as he was expressing interest in her again this afternoon. I will have to find a better vet than the one I used last spring and have him come out and check them all. Sounds like that will be the best thing to do.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Back in I believe the late 70's we had an outbreak of chlamidia (sp), commonly called foothills abortion. It was the outcome of excessive rain.
The aborted young are fairly easy to recognize as they are almost full term, in some caes full term, and have partially decomposed prior to delivery.

dun

fellersbarnoneranch":2wl5mjzg said:
Maybe the beginner's board is not the place for this, but it is a bit on the subject of abortion in cattle. Mentioning the coyotes brought it to mind.
Neospora abortion in cattle.
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext/INF-BE_cca/INF-BE_cca96/INF-BE_cca960708.html

Anyone had any specific encounters of this kind? We're in coyote country, but the herd is doing well minus one premie this Fall.

Good point neighbor had a run in with neospora ended up having to sell off quite a few infected cows.

i have dairy cattle and we wait at least 3 months to breed back.

my granfather had some cows that were that quick to breed back they were small and easy to keep

Latest posts