PREG CHECK YOUR COWS!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

We had a bull that bred about 4 cows and broke his penis.. He'd mount but get no penetration... didn't notice right away until the 2nd cycle came around and they were pretty much all coming back into heat.. I got on the phone real fast and got a replacement bull and fixed it before started to really cost me money.

I've never done any preg checking, but I'm always around my cows and mark each one down, and pay attention 3 weeks later.
I think you went over and above the call of your responsibility on that one, you shouldn't be responsible for someone else's mishandling of things, but there's never an easy way out of it.

I just had the vet come check mine. We'd never done it before either. She didn't charge a whole lot, we know immediately, and I had one open. Gives me the chance to send her to the sale and get a replacement.

I've done a couple with blood draw. It's not very hard once you get spot figured out. I found a new vendor for it at the trade show in Perry last week. Got a coupon for 10 free sample test. Another couple at booth had nothing but praise for testing facility.

M-5":1qpkt1il said:
I've done a couple with blood draw. It's not very hard once you get spot figured out. I found a new vendor for it at the trade show in Perry last week. Got a coupon for 10 free sample test. Another couple at booth had nothing but praise for testing facility.

I was just checking out Oak Haven Diagnostics in Barnesville. That doesn't happen to be them does it M5?

We just put together a guarantee this year, along with a front page that covers health, breeding, feeding, etc... It's definitely gonna help us sleep at night.

I agree to check your cows.At least the ones who come up dry.Used to think it was overkill until I had too many dry ones and started.Found some lepto once that wasn't vaccinaed for properly and then my vet iscovered some Nepsporia which is carried by foes,coyotes,dogs,ec.

I use yearling bulls every year for clean up and numbers are always written down and I check 3 weeks later, even when I was just using bulls I would make sure that that they weren't returning to the bull 3 weeks later right from start of joining so that I could quickly intervene if things weren't working out. I think there is absolutely no excuse for being left with 25 open cows.
Ken

No way he could miss the cows were open...Wonder if there was any way he did something to make them abort, or absorb their calves early on..and just didnt notice. DId he vaccinate with a live vaccine, i just have a hard time he had a herd of 25 open cows and had no idea they were open a whole season.. Even if the bull were gay or unable to breed them, the cows would be mounting each other..

JMJ Farms":r6vndug4 said:
M-5":r6vndug4 said:

I was just checking out Oak Haven Diagnostics in Barnesville. That doesn't happen to be them does it M5?
I'll check and see.

M5

There is a new lab in your neck of the woods just out of Dothan. They had a booth set up at the All Black Classic sale at the beef unit on SaturdaY. They are doing pregnancy testing and PI testing they said they are considering DNA testing down the road.

Gizmom

gizmom":inl3koxk said:
M5

There is a new lab in your neck of the woods just out of Dothan. They had a booth set up at the All Black Classic sale at the beef unit on SaturdaY. They are doing pregnancy testing and PI testing they said they are considering DNA testing down the road.

Gizmom

Do you have a name of the facility???

I do it's CRG Dianostic Lab
Gary and Celia Russell
35 Oats Road
Cottonwood, Al 36320
334-796-9567

The boss and I are thinking about giving the technology but at this point we are still in the thinking about it stage.

Gizmom

Okay I'm new here so bear with me he did preg check his cows. but I guess he checked them too late you're saying he should preg check them 4 months or 3 months after he got your bull. And not waited a year is that correct.

cowgirl8":10plt573 said:
No way he could miss the cows were open...Wonder if there was any way he did something to make them abort, or absorb their calves early on..and just didnt notice. DId he vaccinate with a live vaccine, i just have a hard time he had a herd of 25 open cows and had no idea they were open a whole season.. Even if the bull were gay or unable to breed them, the cows would be mounting each other..
My exact thoughts. How could a guy didn't notice his whole herd is coming in heat for a whole year unless he never checked on his herd very often.

You did way more than I would have. I would have brought him a replacement and then took the old bull to the sale myself. Don't loose any sleep over it, you went above and beyond for that customer.

Muddy":3f454g2i said:
cowgirl8":3f454g2i said:
My exact thoughts. How could a guy didn't notice his whole herd is coming in heat for a whole year unless he never checked on his herd very often.

I have since asked him about this. I asked him if he actually ever saw the bull mount any cows. It didn't sound like he checked much. That's the bottom line.

Latest posts