Preg check for AI

Help Support CattleToday:

dompeters84

Reaction score
Well guy we AI 30 cows and heifers yesterday. We are going to turn a bull out with them on May 19. My question is, Is there a way to tell what cows took to the AI before they calve?

Not with 100% certainty unless some of them breed real late to the bull.

What about drawing blood 30 days after the AI? They would only have about 2 weeks with the bull at that point. All the literature i've read states that they need to be at least 28 days bred before the test works. So, in theory, if the bull got to them it wouldn't show up on the test.

Would it work that way?

thommoos":32nn0wsv said:
Heat strips, if the AI did not take they will cycle. The bull will mount and you will see.
Some show a heat the first cycle even when bred.

LRTX1":3q6i0ymb said:
What about drawing blood 30 days after the AI? They would only have about 2 weeks with the bull at that point. All the literature i've read states that they need to be at least 28 days bred before the test works. So, in theory, if the bull got to them it wouldn't show up on the test.

Would it work that way?
Theoretically that would do it.

the heat strips are cheap, but not infallible.
Had a heifer in my spring-calving group that was bred AI on observed heat, was back in standing heat 21 days later. We bred her on that second heat. She calved, on the due date for her first AI service.

I'd say dun is on target with his suggestion.

I use orange chalk.. Use the chalk to paint the tail head. If the bull breeds her it will rub off. If he doesn't then her tail will remain orange. Best thing about using orange is, it will not wash off in the rain we are getting today!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

The other colors will wash off in the rain....