Preconditioning question

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett":3md9zv7x said:
Sounds like a fancy outfit. What does it cost to sell a calf? How many sales do they have a year? Where is it at?
Winner, Presho, Ft. Pierre. Not sure about cost to sell calves. Im the buyer not the seller. Weekly sales.

options":6uqu68rn said:
1982vett":6uqu68rn said:
Sounds like a fancy outfit. What does it cost to sell a calf? How many sales do they have a year? Where is it at?
Winner, Presho, Ft. Pierre. Not sure about cost to sell calves. Im the buyer not the seller. Weekly sales.
Don't guess you ever bought down here then.

options":35zhhmev said:
I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone would sell cattle at any auction, where the auctioneer doesn't state the owners name and a brief explanation of the cattle being sold. The sales I attend have a printed sale order, along with that they will announce them when entering the ring. It is valuable info for both the buyer and seller.
Bet they don't sell singles where you buy, either. The reason I don't sell at a barn like that is because none exist around here.

gberry":2jiozsru said:
Bet they don't sell singles where you buy, either. The reason I don't sell at a barn like that is because none exist around here.
They sell singles there as well. Pull offs, low quality calves, sick calves, injured calves, junk like that and sometimes just 1 or 2 head from the occassional hobby boy. Good calves are sorted for color and size but 99.9% of the time that sorting is done on the ranch thru genetics and proper herd management.

I have seen alot of posters say the salebarns around them run all calves thru as a singles, why? Are the calves so far from uniform size and color they can't be sold the way they were raised? Are buyers there buying one or two head then leaving the sale? This method of selling cattle doesn't add up. Here a single will sell for $10 cwt less than identical quality grouped calves. It seems that sellers leave alot of money on the table. It is almost as if nobody cares about the product being sold. Drop them off get what you get and move on.

Why doesn't the auctioneer announce the owners name if they are green tagged, gold tagged, pre conditioned, vaccinated and any other info. Why are these calves not being sold as a group?

Latest posts