prayers..

Help Support CattleToday:

Couldn't agree more about MD Anderson gb. Will keep your family and especially your brother in our prayers. Glad he is recovering well post-op. Stay positive.

So sorry to read about your brother's cancer. That is a word that none of us want to hear. But I know of no family,including mine that has escaped it.I will keep him and you and your family in my prayers. I would be getting him to M.D. Anderson as soon as possible. Early help is very important.

Long hard road........yes and unfortunate. I've had many recent dealings with family and friends involving cancer. Some passed on to glory including my Dad, who went to work every day up until he was admitted to the hospital. He died 10 days later. In some ways I have no doubt that was a blessing considering the stage and progression. Others......I lost my best friend last year also, the one who grew up beside me from diaper age, thru the young child phase doing every "evil" thing together. Then the teenage years.........
He had brain cancer, and was given a max of 4 months after the diagnosis. He lived life to the fullest for 2 more years to the month.
Then there was the local business owner who owned and operated the avionics shop at our local airport. He had rare form of cancer. I can't remember the name for it. Diagnosed in 1994. He had his good days/weeks along with the bad ones, and went for treatments often, including blood transfusions regularly. He was the most positive person I have ever met, before and even after his diagnosis. He just passed last year at the age of 72. He continued to work daily up until one week before his death.
Oftentimes I think our Maker offers up these situations so the rest of us may consider.........whatever' it is we individually consider when we witness such events.

GB, I know you know, and from what you've previously written about your brother and your relationship with him, I will hazard a guess that he is also a man of faith, and is/will be able to find a positive perspective in this otherwise difficult time.

Know that you and your twin are in our prayers

.it's been "rough" lately for a number of reasons, most of which I am not ready to go in to.
His PET scan did not show good news.
1. A second growth on his brain (which we knew about from one of the pre surgery cat scans.) which will be treated with radiation
2. One growth on his hip (bone related) which we don't yet know how will be addressed.
3. A mass of some kind on his esophagus.

He goes in Monday Aug 3 for biopsy on the 'thing' on his esophagus. I was not there when the oncologist explained it, but her words were it should be a 2 and it is a 12 Not sure what that means, but doesn't sound good and she was quite concerned about it.
He "feels" fairly healthy of course, since the big mass was removed from his brain a few weeks ago. His daughter and her husband drove him down to his beach house on Bolivar Peninsula last week and we went and visited for a day, as did my 2 sisters. He is not allowed to drive because of some antiseizure medication he is on, so he has to have someone drive him, but other than that, he outwardly appears normal.
Oncologist is cheery, hopeful and full of confidence all will be treated successfully and things will turn out ok.
I too, personally feel his physical medical problems will be worked out ok.
Mentally-not sure if any of us will survive it.

Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers. I know it is hard on you, but you will get through it. The oncologist's positive comments are encouraging.

Esophagus biopsy result--not good--malignant--stage 4.
Identified as "source" for the cancerous cells that metastasized elsewhere.
Will know more next week after oncologist/radiologist consult.

There's no words to offer for comfort GB. I am so sorry. I lost a sis Jun 10th Was with her when she went. There's just no easy way to let go. Comfort him all you can and assure him you'll take care of his loved ones.

Awww wow GB, I'm sorry to hear that report. :(

That's a really tough situation for all involved.

Continued prayers for your brother, you and the family.

I just read this so I am late to the group. But count me in with the others standing for him in faith.
May strength, wisdom, and comfort be given to your brother, and to all of the family and to the medical people.

Leaving tomorrow morning (alone this time) for LR to take him to get a port put in and will likely stay up there to drive him to medical center for his chemo treatments.
Stage 4 esophageal cancer. There is no stage 5.
He is in no pain at all and the rad treatments appear to have worked on the 2nd place in his head--now, just to get thru the chemo.

If you have chronic problems swallowing or have suffered from recurring acid reflux, please have it checked out asap--it can be a precursor Gastroesophgeal Reflux Disease (GERD) which often leads to Barretts and esophageal cancer. Brother has had chronic acid reflux for years--almost every night.
http://treatbarretts.com/barretts-and-cancer/

greybeard":12y34poe said:
Leaving tomorrow morning (alone this time) for LR to take him to get a port put in and will likely stay up there to drive him to medical center for his chemo treatments.
Stage 4 esophageal cancer. There is no stage 5.
He is in no pain at all and the rad treatments appear to have worked on the 2nd place in his head--now, just to get thru the chemo.

If you have chronic problems swallowing or have suffered from recurring acid reflux, please have it checked out asap--it can be a precursor Gastroesophgeal Reflux Disease (GERD) which often leads to Barretts and esophageal cancer. Brother has had chronic acid reflux for years--almost every night.
http://treatbarretts.com/barretts-and-cancer/

So sorry GB. I completely empathize with you and your family. My first wife was stage 4...chemo can be brutal.. hydration, hydration, hydration..positive thoughts and support. Your brother will be in my thoughts and prayers. Glad he isn't in pain.

So sorry about your brother. Such a blessing that he is not in pain. Will keep him and you in our prayers.

Latest posts