POW/MIA vs. Football

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
I'm offended! My wife and I are both Vets. We display our USA flag for all military events as well as other National holidays.

Friday, September 19 was "POW/MIA Rememberance Day".

Small town football in ours and all the others around the USA are worshiped like Greek Gods. To not participate in any way with football is a small town SIN. Since most small towns, especially in the South treat Friday Night Football as important as Church, then..."What part of 'Thou Shall Have No Other Gods Before Me..." don't they understand?

A case in point:

A NAM Vet and community leader that I observed is a hugh HS Football Fan. He always displays the Team's Flag on Friday. Guess What?? The team flag was displayed and NOT the USA flag in rememberance of our POW's and MIA's and other Vets. A true disgrace...

Off my soapbox...

Since most small towns, especially in the South treat Friday Night Football as important as Church, then..."What part of 'Thou Shall Have No Other Gods Before Me..." don't they understand?

Come on Bill...Football is entertainment, fun and a time with family. Don't guess I know anyone that "worships" football as god (That is the definition of an idol).

And how many people even realize it is POW/MIA day? It is not even mentioned in the media. I know I was unaware that such a day even existed. And I had a neighbor who went MIA over North Vietnam so I do pay attention to stories etc about MIA issues.

I've never heard of it either. "Days" like this are kinda like grandparents day or national potato week. If you need a day on a calendar to be patriotic then you need to take a long look in the mirror. Every day is 4th of July really.

Y'all make a good point. My calendars have all National, Texas, and other Patriotic days posted with a USA Flag. True, the "usual" news media doesn't mention these.

That aside...
As a Devil's Advocate...

Yes, small town sports are main event entertainment. However, some take it to extremes as some parents have been known to be "violent" at such events. Cheerleading also. However, I do have a problem when our local school taxes pay a large percentage to athletics when more $$ should be spent on EDUCATION to make our kids more literate and self-sufficient. Solution: Make sports a "profit center" and charge significant admissions to attendees to offset a lot of the costs of a team and its fringes. Let the "Boosters" pay large amounts to subsidize their team.

On a sidebar, the school's "Honor Rolls" are a farce too: If you show up and attend school (e.g. elementary kids) you get to be on the Honor Roll. If you have a grade average of "D" or better, you are on the honor roll. What elementary school kid doesn't have a choice, but to attend school? What happened to an "Honor Roll" being for kids with an "A" average?

No wonder so many of our people are on welfare, homeless, unemployed, bankrupt, psycho, etc....

JMO :help:

Bill I keep an American flag flying year round. A friend came by a few years ago (3 tours in Nam) and was looking at it as we talked and he asked me If I took it down at night. I said NO...he said point blank "Well get some dam light son it at night if you're gonna fly it at night". Really hit me in the gut. Needless to say that week I had a light installed that shines on "Ol' Glory" every night now.
As for the sports...yeah they get under my skin too....my old HS spent 1.5 million to build a track around the field and then install turf on the field.....all so they can have one track meet a year and the football team hasn't won over 4 games a year for 15 years.

Latest posts