Post Hole Digger

Help Support CattleToday:

John Mc.

Reaction score
I'm in the market to buy a post hole digger. Live in NE Okla. Rocky soil once you get about a foot down plus I have some plum rocky ridges to fence around. I've been told to stay away from Atwoods (Wal-Mart of farm stores) because the ones they have will not be stout enough. A local dealer sells Bush Hog brand drills with a bit used for my area.

Could I please get a little feedback on the Bush Hog or another brand that will hold up?

Thanks for the help.

First off, I would go with the Bush Hog brand. It is a well made piece of equipment. Second, if you have a tractor with hydraulics, get that put on the digger. It sure makes the holes dig fast.
Neighbors asked if we would help dig some holes. Needless to say that they were amazed at how fast the holes were dug once we hit the hydraulic lever.

greatgerts said:
First off, I would go with the Bush Hog brand. It is a well made piece of equipment. Second, if you have a tractor with hydraulics, get that put on the digger. It sure makes the holes dig fast.
Neighbors asked if we would help dig some holes. Needless to say that they were amazed at how fast the holes were dug once we hit the hydraulic lever.

I do have hydraulics. I've only used the PTO to drill with before. How does that work with the hydraulics and what would need to be added to the digger? Any idea of the cost?

Thanks for the help.

I think he may mean down pressure hydraulics on the three point hitch. Most tractor don't have this, but the ones that due will flat drill a hole. There was an old guy I help once build fence and he had one of the early Belarus Tractors (10 or 15 years old). Tractor was a piece of junk and hard to operate but it was a hole drilling son of gun because the three point worked both up and down.

Most tractors just use gravity to make the go down.

Yeah, sorry for not being thorough on the explanation. It is a 3pt. and also uses hydraulics. You will set your digger and turn the pto on, then once it gets started, hit the lever on the hydraulics (like opening and closing the baler door) and before you know it, you have yourself a hole. Basically, an added way to get the hole dug.
On our old digger, we used a piece of iron to help it out, but that can get dangerous...Not that anyone else would EVER do such a thing..LOL

Craig-TX":3bnh7l27 said:
If it's that rocky just don't cheat on the shear pins. And have plenty of them handy.

Craig-TX

And don;t decide to save by getting hardened bolts for shear pins. The word "shear" is there for a reason. Another of those oops, been there etc.

dun

dun":zjjrullf said:
Craig-TX":zjjrullf said:
If it's that rocky just don't cheat on the shear pins. And have plenty of them handy.

Craig-TX

And don;t decide to save by getting hardened bolts for shear pins. The word "shear" is there for a reason. Another of those oops, been there etc.

That's exactly what I meant by "cheating" on them. It will cost you dearly.

Craig-TX

Craig-TX":1x1qlr8z said:
dun":1x1qlr8z said:
Craig-TX":1x1qlr8z said:

Craig-TX

Craig-TX

I'm apparently particularly slow this morning

dun

dun":1t4vkbb7 said:
Craig-TX":1t4vkbb7 said:
dun":1t4vkbb7 said:
Craig-TX":1t4vkbb7 said:

Craig-TX

Craig-TX

I'm apparently particularly slow this morning

The story of my life.

Craig-TX

TGFSP (thank God for shear pins!)

We got one at Chupp Implement over by Pryor--pretty reasonable. Agree that you should spend the extra $$ for a GOOD bit!

Agreed on the Bush Hog, nice piece of equipment. Used on on a Case with down pressure and could dig holes like no tomorrow, just had to take the loose dirt out that did'nt get thrown out. Went through a few shear pins when putting holes in around tree roots, but sure beats the heck out of the old fashion way. :)

Subsoil":y75sji30 said:
If you in tough digging and have money, try one of these http://www.belltec.net/frameg.html

I had the same problem with rocky clay soil. Cant't tell you how many shear pins I went through.Spent more time changing shear pins than I spent digging.I finally solved the problem by getting a backhoe attachment for my 4310 kubota and did them with that. I put in electric fence, high tensile steel wire,and the corner posts have to go in 4 feet deep in concrete. The back hoe was the path of least resistance. :cboy: ;-)

Danuser here also. We've had ours for over 10 years. VERY well built.. my husband is ROUGH on equipment and I don't think he's ever broken it.

Shear pins.. use the ones that will actually BREAK, not hardened. That's what they were referring to dun.

I have been looking at post hole diggers, but everything I find is for 75 hp tractors or less. My tractor is atleast 140. I think it was put on the dynamax and showed it was pushing 170. Can I get a heavy duty post hole digger to work with my tractor?

Josh

Me again. Howdy. I've done some price comparisons. Is a Danhuser worth $150. more than a Bush Hog? Same type bit.

Latest posts