Drove in a sink hole

Help Support CattleToday:

I had one smaller sinkhole develop in one field out of nowhere... about 2 ft deep and 4 ft diameter..

My biggest problem is the cows digging holes in the field.. was riding my dirt bike and hit one, if it wasn't for 12" of suspension travel I'd have been in real bad shape, I hit it at 30mph or so and it sure felt like I went flying

This is after the tall grass that was hiding it got grazed, the "wall" is about 20"

20180715_114239.jpg

I drove around looking for a calf for 2 days on my place calf was about 3-5 days old I kept thinking momma was hiding it. Well I finally noticed she never really went far from this holler and decided to get off the four wheeler and look closer. Found the calf in a sinkhole with its back leg twisted in a root at the edge of the hole and she was hanging nose down I assumed dead. Got her out and she was barely breathing and couldn't move much. About and hour later she got up stumbling around walked knuckle over for a few days and eventually made a full recovery. But she never did grow well and ended up about 200 lbs lighter than all the rest of the calves that year. I try and fill them in with rock when I find them now.

Lots of sinkholes in this part of
Ky due to all the caves I guess. There are a few on my place. With the week I am having maybe a new one will open up and I can go get in it with the hope of it caving in on me.
Hope things get better for you Tom!

I never had one when we had small tractors but about 1 a year falls out now. They break through with the heavier equipment. We fill them with rock picked up off the fields. They seem to grow also.

We got a few around here too. For size reference that is a 5 gallon bucket at the bottom of the hole.
That's a massive one. That one would swallow some machinery and animals up if they came across it. I've had ones big enough to fit a round bale in, but nowhere near that big.

Just filled one up with rocks and a bunch of old tires this spring and to my surprise this fall the ground was still level were I filled it in. I usually have about one a year I find.

I drove around looking for a calf for 2 days on my place calf was about 3-5 days old I kept thinking momma was hiding it. Well I finally noticed she never really went far from this holler and decided to get off the four wheeler and look closer. Found the calf in a sinkhole with its back leg twisted in a root at the edge of the hole and she was hanging nose down I assumed dead. Got her out and she was barely breathing and couldn't move much. About and hour later she got up stumbling around walked knuckle over for a few days and eventually made a full recovery. But she never did grow well and ended up about 200 lbs lighter than all the rest of the calves that year. I try and fill them in with rock when I find them now.

Here's a pic I came across.. looks like the perfect time to band him!
121678240_971385473369579_820395821336568038_n.png

In regards to filling a sinkhole, I figured people used cement. We dig the sinkhole out because you want to get to bedrock. Find the gap in the bedrock where the water has been going, but be careful. You want to avoid making the gap bigger. Fill with cement and cover with dirt. Nobody else does this?

Latest posts