Gas powered post driver

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
So, after some research and pounding a bunch in the ground by hand, I decided to purchase one. Extremely rocky here, so got one of the heavier models (titan 3875). I'm finding that I still have to use the punchbar for a guide hole to keep the tposts from twisting, and I'm ok with it, but dang that thing is unwieldy 6ft in the air. Anybody else use one of these?/tips.

jltrent

Reaction score
Fence building in the fall when ground is hard is not a good time or at least around here. Building in the spring I can sink a 6' steel post with three licks. Hitting those rocks can sure jar your teeth. I have tried the gas operated post drivers and by the time I put the heavy contraption on the post I could already had it sunk. If I was in the fence building business one of those would come in handy daily though. Just eat your Wheaties before you start might be a good tip.

OP
snoopdog

snoopdog

Reaction score
Fence building in the fall when ground is hard is not a good time or at least around here. Building in the spring I can sink a 6' steel post with three licks. Hitting those rocks can sure jar your teeth. I have tried the gas operated post drivers and by the time I put the heavy contraption on the post I could already had it sunk. If I was in the fence building business one of those would come in handy daily though. Just eat your Wheaties before you start might be a good tip.
Yes, that is a very good tip

Dave

Reaction score
Used one rebuilding fences after a big fire in the Okanogan. By yourself it was a workout. We found 3 guys working together it went fast and smooth. Man with the driver standing on a flatbed. A man driving the pickup. And a fellow on the ground standing up the posts/lining them up.

OP
snoopdog

snoopdog

Reaction score
Used one rebuilding fences after a big fire in the Okanogan. By yourself it was a workout. We found 3 guys working together it went fast and smooth. Man with the driver standing on a flatbed. A man driving the pickup. And a fellow on the ground standing up the posts/lining them up.
I can see that working good.

Dan-DK Farms

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
I also have one of the heavier Titian post drivers. After driving 2 7/8 pipes and many T- posts by myself, I’d had enough of near falls and not quite square posts in the ground. I knew there had to be a better way if I was going to be self reliant.

I used some 2 inch square tubing to build a set of second hands. The tubing fits inside my truck’s receiver hitch, it comes straight out (of the receiver) about three feet (to clear the open tailgate) and does a 90 degree turn straight up for six feet and then does a 45 degree turn straight back.

About half way up the six foot section I attached a manual boat winch that locks in either direction (pay out or reeling in). On the winch I used wire cable. I used a pulley connected at the first point of the 45 degree turn and then another at the end of 45 degree tube. At the top pulley I connect the wire hook to a short chain connected to the handle of the post driver.
Using the winch system I can now drive posts without worry off the weight or balance of the driver.

One regret - it‘s pretty darn heavy but one man can get it into the receiver hitch or use a tractor to attach it to a truck.

If you have money to spare, there are alternatives using tractors and hydraulics to do it much easier.

sstterry

CT Supporter
CT Supporter
Reaction score
I also have one of the heavier Titian post drivers. After driving 2 7/8 pipes and many T- posts by myself, I’d had enough of near falls and not quite square posts in the ground. I knew there had to be a better way if I was going to be self reliant.

I used some 2 inch square tubing to build a set of second hands. The tubing fits inside my truck’s receiver hitch, it comes straight out (of the receiver) about three feet (to clear the open tailgate) and does a 90 degree turn straight up for six feet and then does a 45 degree turn straight back.

About half way up the six foot section I attached a manual boat winch that locks in either direction (pay out or reeling in). On the winch I used wire cable. I used a pulley connected at the first point of the 45 degree turn and then another at the end of 45 degree tube. At the top pulley I connect the wire hook to a short chain connected to the handle of the post driver.
Using the winch system I can now drive posts without worry off the weight or balance of the driver.

One regret - it‘s pretty darn heavy but one man can get it into the receiver hitch or use a tractor to attach it to a truck.

If you have money to spare, there are alternatives using tractors and hydraulics to do it much easier.
Can you post a picture of this?

Reaction score
So, after some research and pounding a bunch in the ground by hand, I decided to purchase one. Extremely rocky here, so got one of the heavier models (titan 3875). I'm finding that I still have to use the punchbar for a guide hole to keep the tposts from twisting, and I'm ok with it, but dang that thing is unwieldy 6ft in the air. Anybody else use one of these?/tips.

Titan PGD2875 Gas-Powered Post driver is what I bought in e 2020. I wish I could just hire the fence crew I once could get but … now it is just us. Hearing protection needed and we use a auger on tractor to dig holes for brace posts. That driver is a great deal faster than the manual method. Rocky gravely soil here. I step up on something to hold it above T post but my husband doesn’t.

Latest posts