Post driver

Help Support CattleToday:

If your talking about those hand held ones ive heard that the REDI driver is the best. I think it's also the most expensive. Hopefully someone with some experience chimes in for you.

I would like to know also. just turned 70 and hopefully it will make fencing a little easier.
My son builds fences and has one. Not sure of the brand, but it weighs about 45 pounds. Pretty heavy for me to comfortably maneuver onto a 6 or 7 foot t-post very many times.

Will it drive wooden posts or just steel?
He only uses the hand held driver for t-posts. I think it will drive up to a 3.5" post. He has a self propelled tracked driver for the wood posts. He started with a Wheatheart skid steer mounted driver, but it required two people to operate.

Used one when we were fixing things after the fires in the Okanogan. That was nearly 6 years ago. I don't remember the brand but I do remember that it sure wasn't light. The guy who owned it said it worked best with 3 guys. The man operating standing in the back of a pickup, a guy standing up and holding the posts, and a guy to drive the pickup. You could drive a bunch of posts in a hurry that way. By myself it would be a bear to operate. Just too heavy to have over your head all day long.

I have a cheap Chinese two stroke which I have used on a couple of big for me fencing projects and it hasn't faultered. We have a lot of rock and stony granite country and it keeps hammering away until it finds a way through. My main point though is I am 69 so pushing 70 and manage quite well by myself. I lay the posts on the ground and hold the handle right handle in my right hand and slide it over the post which I pick up with my left hand. With the point on my mark I then lift it up to the vertical position and start hammering. I am always pleasantly surprised at how quickly I get all the posts driven in.
I would recommend buying one whatever brand you choose if you have a reasonable size job to do.
Ken

We've got the 52 and 78 size redidriver. Well the 78 is pretty much used up. They won't last long driving pipe. Fine for a post hear and there, put not sufficient for real use driving pipe
Great for tpost , a must have really.
Son just bought one about half the price of redidriver. He says it's pretty good, can't remember the brand, I'll check.

We've got the 52 and 78 size redidriver. Well the 78 is pretty much used up. They won't last long driving pipe. Fine for a post hear and there, put not sufficient for real use driving pipe
Great for tpost , a must have really.
Son just bought one about half the price of redidriver. He says it's pretty good, can't remember the brand, I'll check.
Skidrill is what the son just bought. He said it was about a grand after tax and shipping. He said the 2000.00 dollar redidriver is definitely better machine. I ask if it was a 1000.00 better . He says no it's not that much better.....so there you have it. .my 2cent

Anyone use a gas powered post driver? Which is the best one?
Check out montanapostpounder.com. My friend was a fence builder and invented this to fill a need. The business took off and has very good reviews. (These are for serious fence building)

Latest posts