Portable Squeeze Chute

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms":3d3retrb said:
backhoeboogie":3d3retrb said:
Heading out west this weekend. Gonna work cows for two days straight. Hate going in bare handed but they say they don't need me to bring anything. I have never been to this place and have no idea what kind of facility or equipment they have. These folks have a lot of nickels so I am probably making some bad assumptions based on that.
:lol2: your gonna show up and find out there are no facilities, just a 10 acre pen, then you get a horse and a rope for calves and yearlings, they might run the crazy cows behind a gate to work them though. Have fun at the rodeo :mrgreen:.

LOL Just my luck! Heard about a rotating squeeze. Got me to wondering how big these steers are. I am certain a rodeo could break out at any time no matter how good it is.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone!

Aaron":2uaxu4me said:
As far as the Q-catch, you can post on Ranchers.net under Ranch Talk and a few of the regulars on there have them. They like them. I hate the company that produces them. Can't get them to quit calling me trying to sell stuff - they are worse than telemarketers. Also, Q-catch is a pricey system.

My vote is for Sioux Steel/Real-Tuff chute. You won't find a better cart system for a chute - very simple and stout. They come with a self catch headgate, but you can ask them to remove it (very easy to remove - two bolts) from the cost and put your own scissor-type headgate on. Also, it won't break the bank. Cart and chute cost me $5700.00. Cart also works with their hoof trimming chute - if you ever want to start doing that on the side too. Give Dave a call at Real-Tuff in Clearbrook, MN, he is very easy to get along with - 218-776-3188 or 800-474-6016

If money is no issue, than go for a Stampede Steel. It is built similar to the Sioux Steel, but has the addition of a lever to open and close the headgate from the rear of the chute. Handy for spooky cows. But the chute alone for the Stampede Steel will run around $6,000.00

After watching the video with the manual headgate...I really like the Sioux Steel. About the only thing that I would change is to have the palpation gate open from the left instead of the right. And have a lever for the tailgate instead of a rope. The palpation gate on the Stampede seems a little small. I wish they had more than just two pictures on their site!

We will primarily be using the chute for preg-checking. Maybe some AI work. We are way too busy with our own cattle to get in the business of doing routine cattle work. About 200 is the most we've done in a day, which isn't too bad. A nice chute can sure make the day go faster, though. ...We were a LOT busier last year than we had anticipated, which is why we're starting to shop around.

ricebeltrancher":uva2l2rd said:
Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone!

Aaron":uva2l2rd said:
As far as the Q-catch, you can post on Ranchers.net under Ranch Talk and a few of the regulars on there have them. They like them. I hate the company that produces them. Can't get them to quit calling me trying to sell stuff - they are worse than telemarketers. Also, Q-catch is a pricey system.

My vote is for Sioux Steel/Real-Tuff chute. You won't find a better cart system for a chute - very simple and stout. They come with a self catch headgate, but you can ask them to remove it (very easy to remove - two bolts) from the cost and put your own scissor-type headgate on. Also, it won't break the bank. Cart and chute cost me $5700.00. Cart also works with their hoof trimming chute - if you ever want to start doing that on the side too. Give Dave a call at Real-Tuff in Clearbrook, MN, he is very easy to get along with - 218-776-3188 or 800-474-6016

If money is no issue, than go for a Stampede Steel. It is built similar to the Sioux Steel, but has the addition of a lever to open and close the headgate from the rear of the chute. Handy for spooky cows. But the chute alone for the Stampede Steel will run around $6,000.00

After watching the video with the manual headgate...I really like the Sioux Steel. About the only thing that I would change is to have the palpation gate open from the left instead of the right. And have a lever for the tailgate instead of a rope. The palpation gate on the Stampede seems a little small. I wish they had more than just two pictures on their site!

We will primarily be using the chute for preg-checking. Maybe some AI work. We are way too busy with our own cattle to get in the business of doing routine cattle work. About 200 is the most we've done in a day, which isn't too bad. A nice chute can sure make the day go faster, though. ...We were a LOT busier last year than we had anticipated, which is why we're starting to shop around.

Ok, I watch the video for the manual setup. The palpation gate being opposite just takes some getting used to. I am sure you could phone the company and ask them to build you one with it in reverse.

There is a lever (handle) on the tailgate, so you can open it by hand right at the source. You can see it in the video beside the warning decal. You can also lock it open, or closed. What I like to do, with a nervous animal, is set the back gate open, have the animal run in (but might not go all the way into the headgate), and then I pull the rope to trigger the gate to close, so the animal can't back out the chute. It works real slick. That's why they call it the 'Slik Bi-fold gate'.

One thing that is unique to Real-Tuff products is that they are continually innovating their products, and 99% of the input is from producers. I've given them a bit of feedback myself. They incorporate those ideas into their products, that's why they are so 'rancher-friendly'. I've had a lot of people look at my chute and say 'Somebody was thinking when they designed that'. Well, the designer(s) was probably 30 other ranchers.

We just bought a new Palco and the side doors on the chute pop open, anyone else have experience with Palco?

I just had a chance to take a look at a portable system from Arrow.

Q8500 with their new head holder system, 8' alley and 8' (or 10'?) tub. Weigh bars are an easy add to the alley. Nice set up. Really like the squeeze. Not sure taking on the alley and tub is worth it though ...

And the dealer told me the parent company is going to be adding a ton of dealers over the next ___ months/quarters/years ... so they might be easier to find and at better prices down the road. FYI.

Good information. I look forward to seeing one the promotional video sure makes it look like a slick set up.

ricebeltrancher":2dj2833t said:
I kindof have it narrowed down to a Q-catch (only problem, they are in CANADA)

They aren't canadian, Arrow farmquip is australian - So there must be US distributors? Lakeland sells them under their name up here also. I've used an 8500 a couple of times, I like them and real tuffs.

denvermartinfarms":37rxeu6f said:
backhoeboogie":37rxeu6f said:
Heading out west this weekend. Gonna work cows for two days straight. Hate going in bare handed but they say they don't need me to bring anything. I have never been to this place and have no idea what kind of facility or equipment they have. These folks have a lot of nickels so I am probably making some bad assumptions based on that.
:lol2: your gonna show up and find out there are no facilities, just a 10 acre pen, then you get a horse and a rope for calves and yearlings, they might run the crazy cows behind a gate to work them though. Have fun at the rodeo :mrgreen:.

Heck, come out west. I can show you some pretty big outfits where roping them and dragging to the fire is the preferred method. But a few well mounted buckaroos who are handy with a rope can accomplish an amazing amount of work in a short time. Lariat, the original portable squeeze chute.

Dave":11rotdj8 said:
denvermartinfarms":11rotdj8 said:
backhoeboogie":11rotdj8 said:

Heck, come out west. I can show you some pretty big outfits where roping them and dragging to the fire is the preferred method. But a few well mounted buckaroos who are handy with a rope can accomplish an amazing amount of work in a short time. Lariat, the original portable squeeze chute.

This discussion was from a while back. I've been back there a couple to times since then. It turned out nice.

Latest posts