Pork prices going up in my area

Help Support CattleToday:

An old man told me once that he was going to teach me to sugar cure a ham. He said sugar cure was much better eating than salt cure. The old fellow passed on before I learned. I used to go help him cut 150 or so pigs when the time was right. All I really did was catch and hold back then.

backhoeboogie":3jkejrjt said:
An old man told me once that he was going to teach me to sugar cure a ham. He said sugar cure was much better eating than salt cure. The old fellow passed on before I learned. I used to go help him cut 150 or so pigs when the time was right. All I really did was catch and hold back then.

Sugar cure isn't really a thing what he was speaking of is adding sugar as part of the curing ingredients. I do that I'll send you a good link that is basically what I do. Do you have a smoker or smoke house?

Those piglets have a lot of energy. I tried to count them until I got dizzy and gave up.

cc9066f55462cccbc5a7404c304ab09d

skyhightree1":105b97zr said:
backhoeboogie":105b97zr said:

Sugar cure isn't really a thing what he was speaking of is adding sugar as part of the curing ingredients. I do that I'll send you a good link that is basically what I do. Do you have a smoker or smoke house?
Sugar cure here had more steps of processing but they started with salt mix for a certain # of days and shifted to sugar after washing the meat. I prefer the sugar cured, too.

Ebenezer":10ucyb1t said:
skyhightree1":10ucyb1t said:
backhoeboogie":10ucyb1t said:

Sugar cure here had more steps of processing but they started with salt mix for a certain # of days and shifted to sugar after washing the meat. I prefer the sugar cured, too.

Nothing like a good old cured ham on a buttermilk biscuit with some apple sauce or fried apples scrambled eggs

skyhightree1":39wmna6a said:
Ebenezer":39wmna6a said:
skyhightree1":39wmna6a said:

Nothing like a good old cured ham on a buttermilk biscuit with some apple sauce or fried apples scrambled eggs
For Sure.......good pork is like fine whiskey. Ain't never sold for what it's worth. :cowboy:

Latest posts