Pork prices going up in my area

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven":sct3boo3 said:
skyhightree1":sct3boo3 said:
Bright Raven":sct3boo3 said:
No. I never look at the price of food. I just pick up and pay for what I want to eat.

Oops I mean pigs being sold at the barn

I didn't notice that either. How many do you have now?

12 but 2 are already presold I have 10 not sold

Bright Raven":37bkexja said:
skyhightree1":37bkexja said:
Bright Raven":37bkexja said:
I didn't notice that either. How many do you have now?

12 but 2 are already presold I have 10 not sold

How many will you keep to butcher?

I will butcher 5 and sell the other 5 - 4 for me 1 for my uncle other 5 ill sell

The thing at Blackstone is there's only a couple guys buying. One of them gets a phone call or needs the restroom and the market tanks.

Mexico and China Tariffs should help hog prices. According to the USDA, we have the lowest quantity of pork in storage now than at any point in the last 60 years. Look for prices to go up in stores and no doubt will never go down, but good prices will be short lived for hog farmers.

Cheap hogs here have filled all of the locker bookings. If you home kill you are OK, but you will have a very hard time getting a custom kill. Deer season opens soon and that will make things even more hectic.

mwj":1hcju6cq said:
Cheap hogs here have filled all of the locker bookings. If you home kill you are OK, but you will have a very hard time getting a custom kill. Deer season opens soon and that will make things even more hectic.

Breaking down a hog is pretty easy

skyhightree1":17z2kgq9 said:
mwj":17z2kgq9 said:

That I have done - a lot. It is curing ham and bacon that I don't know how to do.

backhoeboogie":1clqc1d3 said:
skyhightree1":1clqc1d3 said:
mwj":1clqc1d3 said:

That I have done - a lot. It is curing ham and bacon that I don't know how to do.

I think you all are a lot warmer there so curing a country ham would be hard without a cool place. Bacon can be done in the fridge pretty easy though. You can do city hams in a 5 gallon bucket if there not huge and can get it in a cooler or fridge.

We have a couple of "utility" refrigerators. I wrap deer quarters is a sheet for a couple of days before I cut it up. They go in one of those refrigerators. Putting a ham or three in wouldn't be a problem.

I could probably get on U-Tube and sort it out. Problem is the person doing the teaching could be an idiot. You see that all the time with various projects.

Latest posts