Polling Places

Help Support CattleToday:

Mid South Guy

Reaction score
With all the hoopla about the separation of Church and State, why does it seem most of the polling places around here (a government function) are in churhes? I'm sure that will change after the Dems are defeated and cry out that the election was uncontitutional because the "Religous Right" intimindated voters by making people vote in a church.

I would say it's most likely because they have the room and they're the only ones that will volunteer a space rather then charging for it's use.

Funny you bring it up. OUr polling place is a church as well. Funny part is that you walk into their parrish hall and the dems. are on one side and the repubs. on the other. We still use the old paper ballot so where you go to sit down and mark it doesn't matter either. You'll have dems and repubs sitting side by side voting in ABC Church.
Historically it seems the church and/or school was the center and lifeblood especially of small communities. Now with a church on every corner we've lost some of that but whenever a small town loses it's school you can just see the town begin to dry up.

TexasBred":hiksctp2 said:
Funny you bring it up. OUr polling place is a church as well. Funny part is that you walk into their parrish hall and the dems. are on one side and the repubs. on the other. We still use the old paper ballot so where you go to sit down and mark it doesn't matter either. You'll have dems and repubs sitting side by side voting in ABC Church.
Historically it seems the church and/or school was the center and lifeblood especially of small communities. Now with a church on every corner we've lost some of that but whenever a small town loses it's school you can just see the town begin to dry up.
I thought the Ozarks was the only place with a church on every corner

Hmmm, I've never seen that. For me, it's the local firehouse. Where we used to live it was the public library. Most of the polling places that I know of are schools and firehouses.

Missouri isn't the only place with churches on every corner, we got 'em here too.

Katherine

ALACOWMAN":1ddnzhbk said:
and Alabama...and alot of them spawned off from other church's....
All you need is a small group of PO'd ,members, move down the street, designate yourself as pastor and primary beneficiary of all contributions to the church, buy a collection plate and start passing it often. Name it the Church of What's Happening Now. Purchase a big a$$ sound system and let the good times roll. Ever PO'd person in the community will be there next week and stay until he get's PO'd too and then he'll go down the street and become your competition.

Sounds like home.

Our polling place is the ag center where we hold our livestock shows. Judging one pig show is same as judging another.

Jogeephus":2nt24935 said:
Sounds like home.

Our polling place is the ag center where we hold our livestock shows. Judging one pig show is same as judging another.
Wxcept for the intelligence and honesty of the ones being judged! I've never seen a pig lie.

TexasBred":2p7rttap said:
ALACOWMAN":2p7rttap said:
and Alabama...and alot of them spawned off from other church's....
All you need is a small group of PO'd ,members, move down the street, designate yourself as pastor and primary beneficiary of all contributions to the church, buy a collection plate and start passing it often. Name it the Church of What's Happening Now. Purchase a big a$$ sound system and let the good times roll. Ever PO'd person in the community will be there next week and stay until he get's PO'd too and then he'll go down the street and become your competition.
i know of one church and has 2 or 3 offsprings just because of dressing

I know of one that split just because one part of the group wanted a new bldg. and the others wanted to keep what they had which really was old, crowded and inefficient. After the split I guess both had what they wanted. Now one of them has split again all about the pastor and his wife.

Latest posts