Polled Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo":2udxty7s said:
cowboyup216":2udxty7s said:
Around these parts good cross bred heifers that are bred run anywhere from 12-1400 a piece. Older cows 2-7 years old usually run 1400-1700 a piece around here. Show animals of course will cost alot more.

Send a trailer, I think I can come up with a pot load for that price. ;-)

No need driving all the way to Missouri to get a load. Stop off in middle Tn. on your way. We can fix you up with all you want for those prices.

Cowdirt":106hqq2z said:
El_Putzo":106hqq2z said:
cowboyup216":106hqq2z said:
Around these parts good cross bred heifers that are bred run anywhere from 12-1400 a piece. Older cows 2-7 years old usually run 1400-1700 a piece around here. Show animals of course will cost alot more.

No need driving all the way to Missouri to get a load. Stop off in middle Tn. on your way. We can fix you up with all you want for those prices.

Stop here too. I'll have them all in the pens ready to load out. :shock: BTW, I prefer cash.

I'll go the other way on this, I startd out about 6 yrs ago raising reg. Polled Herefords, still do. Good docile cattle that haven't given me too much trouble. Here's where I jinx myself, I haven't had a real knuckle head hereford, no fence jumpers or crashers, no mean cows. My first year calving I didn't know what I was looking for in a bull so had some calving problem, next year I bought a nice easy calving bull and never had a problem since (about calving season... no jinxes), in 6 years I have had only one case of pink eye in one eye, I don't think cancer is a real problem now. Just good cattle for someone starting out. They do take about a nickle dock at the auction yard, but the last few years I haven't had trouble selling mine, with papers, out of the local paper. I don't know why your area would be any different, lots of hobby guys wanting to raise a few head. I get $600 to $700 for 6 month old heifers and steers and about $1200 to $1400 for cow calf pairs. I think with just 22 acres your not going to get many head going so why not get some cattle from your friend that has been in the business for 40 yrs, a good mentor and he'll probably make sure you will get started right. As mentioned before, every once in a while throw a black Angus bull on the Herefords and you should get a good price for the Black Baldies.

BTW a few of us tried to get a Black Blady Association going, but it got moved :( .... Just kidding around, an inside joke for a few on the board.

Good luck, stay with the Herefords in my opinion

Alan

Alan":2013cpt9 said:
I'll go the other way on this, I startd out about 6 yrs ago raising reg. Polled Herefords, still do. Good docile cattle that haven't given me too much trouble. Here's where I jinx myself, I haven't had a real knuckle head hereford, no fence jumpers or crashers, no mean cows. My first year calving I didn't know what I was looking for in a bull so had some calving problem, next year I bought a nice easy calving bull and never had a problem since (about calving season... no jinxes), in 6 years I have had only one case of pink eye in one eye, I don't think cancer is a real problem now. Just good cattle for someone starting out. They do take about a nickle dock at the auction yard, but the last few years I haven't had trouble selling mine, with papers, out of the local paper. I don't know why your area would be any different, lots of hobby guys wanting to raise a few head. I get $600 to $700 for 6 month old heifers and steers and about $1200 to $1400 for cow calf pairs. I think with just 22 acres your not going to get many head going so why not get some cattle from your friend that has been in the business for 40 yrs, a good mentor and he'll probably make sure you will get started right. As mentioned before, every once in a while throw a black Angus bull on the Herefords and you should get a good price for the Black Baldies.

BTW a few of us tried to get a Black Blady Association going, but it got moved :( .... Just kidding around, an inside joke for a few on the board.

Alan

Are Herefords prone to pink eye and other eye problems because of their white faces? Low pigmentation? I don't know if I spelled that right :?:

El_Putzo":a2difq6c said:
cowboyup216":a2difq6c said:

If you need help making that pot, I can bring some to you and still clear a buck or two at that price. For that $, I'm definately prepared to TurnMyCowsLoose.

cfpinz

It Is A Good Place To Start The Rancher Knows A Lot More Then You (40 Years Ranching) He Can Help You Pick The Cattle That Fit You Best. First Make A Plan Of What And Where You Wanna Be In 2+ Years Or 5 Ex.1 Having Some For Fun/Family Ex. 2 Making Some Extra Money Or Break Even Also What Number Of Cattle You Can Or Want To Run 5-50-### Keep In Mind Feed, Space, Capital Then Tell The Rancher This So He Can Then Pick The Right Cattle For You Calving Ease, High Weanling And Or Yearling Weight Stuff Like This To Help You Make The Most Money Out Of Your Operation
Best Of Luck
Isaac Vasquez

tncattle":2wkikgwr said:
Alan":2wkikgwr said:

Alan

Are Herefords prone to pink eye and other eye problems because of their white faces? Low pigmentation? I don't know if I spelled that right :?:

I consider myself too new to raising cattle to answer your question, I'm sure a search or someone else can help on this. I do know from my experience tht I have only had one case in 6 years and it was a very quick easy cure with one dose of LA 200, an antibiotic. More Herefords are being bred these days with pigmitation around their eyes to reduce the past eye problems. Again eyes have not been a problem for me.

Alan

Pink eye is caused by flies and gnats carrying the bacteria and feeding on the tears secreted when something irritates the eye.

Or maybe I should state it this way... when something irritates the eye tears are secreted to wash whatever it is out of the eye. The tears are high in proteien and it attracks flies and gnats which feeds on the proteien. Flies and gnats are known carriers of the Moraxella Bovis bacteria causing pink eye. There are many strains of th same bacteria, that is why vaccination is often ineffective. So in order to prevent pink eye the eye must be protected from grass seeds, tall grass, dust, etc. because without tears, there would be nothing for the flies to feed on. A hooded eye with strong eyebanks and eyes set in the cases rather than bulging and eyelashes pointing downwards are much more likely to prevent pink eye than just eye pigment. In correctly set eyes, like I have described, eye pigment, although desireable, doesn't play that big a role.

Herefords have the bad reputation of being proned to cancer eye. This is where eye pigment does play a role. If only to address this reputation issue. I personally haven't had one case of cancer eye and I have fewer pink eye problems than most other non-hereford herds. Proper eye set is high on my selection criteria list so maybe that is paying off. The same eye set preventing pink eye will also address the cancer eye issue, but add the pigment and hopefully we can shed the stigma in the future.

Hereford eye set over the years went from very good up untill the thirties, to bad in the pony era, to worse in the racehorse era. I don't know why, but there are a lot of photographic material that supports this.

KNERSIE pretty well hit it on the head.
Fly control goes a long ways to preventing pinkeye. Without good fly control, eye pigmentation also helps.
Had a neighbor that ran Holstein steer calves from weaning to about 600 lbs. They were in a pasture that adjioned ours and both his and our cows would loaf along the fence together. He always had a terrible problem with pinkeye and we never had a single case. We used face wipers at the water points he didn;t do anything.
I have persoanlly only seen one case of cancer eye, that was in a solid black cow.

What I can add, to the very well stated, last two post is that someone is going to find a quirk or a problem with any breed or cross you select. From this board I have heard and believe most of it, some Angus tend to go thru fences, Brahmans can't handle all climates, Some Limi's will run you over, you'll get docked at the sale yard for horns, etc., ect., ect. Research, find a good, willing mentor and enjoy.

Alan

dun":3nmnqrad said:
Fly control goes a long ways to preventing pinkeye. Without good fly control, eye pigmentation also helps.
Had a neighbor that ran Holstein steer calves from weaning to about 600 lbs. They were in a pasture that adjioned ours and both his and our cows would loaf along the fence together. He always had a terrible problem with pinkeye and we never had a single case. We used face wipers at the water points he didn;t do anything.
I have persoanlly only seen one case of cancer eye, that was in a solid black cow.

Dun,

Can you explain what face wipers are please?

tncattle":1qacbeck said:
dun":1qacbeck said:

Dun,

Can you explain what face wipers are please?
face wipers are the stripes that hang down off the cattle rubbs.that wipe the face when the cattle walk under an through them.most are called cattle rubbs.

bigbull338":32s9q91l said:
face wipers are the stripes that hang down off the cattle rubbs.that wipe the face when the cattle walk under an through them.most are called cattle rubbs.
We use a mop for the face wiper, it actually wipes the fice, back and side. (http://www.enasco.com/ProductDetail.do?sku=C05253N) We use the face flyp things on the mineral feeders, we don;t use any treated rubs. That's what the cows use trees, posts, stumps, etc., for.

cowboyup216":apl5j2q5 said:
crowder how much are the cattle selling for there if you think what they are selling for around here is cheap? I got a buddy named Martin. Got a call from the sale barn the other day asking if he wanted to consign his bred heifers in a replacement sale. You see what martin does is he buys black hided heifers from the sale barn feeds em good and cares for em real well vaccinates em, worms, em then turns em out with his low Birthweight Angus bull at 15 months to breed them. Then he sales the heifers as bred heifers. Martin told the sale barn operator that he wold sale the heifers in that sale but if they did not sale for what he wanted or what he felt they were worth he would no sale em. They brought nearly 1400 a piece. Having said that he didnt no sale any of them. Now to me seems he done alright on em. Considering he only paid about 800 dollars a piece for the heifers when he bought em. I didnt have any reason do doubt martin cuz he has never told me a story that i know of. He said that if I dont believe him he would show me the receipt and he did. They did indeed bring nearly 1400 a piece. What are cattle such as these selling for in your neck of the woods?

I have not been to the sale barn in a few weeks, but my Wife has, and a couple friends own/work/auctioneer sales. She said bred Cows were bringing about 1,000.00 a head, for real good ones, and the lower quality were bringing around anywhere from 480-750. Now if you hit one of these dispersal sales, where a feller is selling out, during one of the regular sales, expect to pay some more.There have been some pretty fair deals around here lately, as Hay has been running short, or someone hauls off a bunch that has to pay some bills, or wants some spending money. Always bear in mind, someone's Culls, can be another man's treasure!

BTW, I was not doubting what you said as far as prices, but the Markets here in this part of the State, have not been that strong lately. ;-)

cowboyup216":3apqlcjn said:
crowder how much are the cattle selling for there if you think what they are selling for around here is cheap? I got a buddy named Martin. Got a call from the sale barn the other day asking if he wanted to consign his bred heifers in a replacement sale. You see what martin does is he buys black hided heifers from the sale barn feeds em good and cares for em real well vaccinates em, worms, em then turns em out with his low Birthweight Angus bull at 15 months to breed them. Then he sales the heifers as bred heifers. Martin told the sale barn operator that he would sale the heifers in that sale but if they did not sale for what he wanted or what he felt they were worth he would no sale em. They brought nearly 1400 a piece. Having said that he didnt no sale any of them. Now to me seems he done alright on em. Considering he only paid about 800 dollars a piece for the heifers when he bought em. I didnt have any reason do doubt martin cuz he has never told me a story that i know of. He said that if I dont believe him he would show me the receipt and he did. They did indeed bring nearly 1400 a piece. What are cattle such as these selling for in your neck of the woods?

How old are these black hided heifers when Martin buys them? After he breeds them at 15 months when does he sell them, immediately? Also, do they mainly eat pasture or does he feed them a lot of bought feed?

cowboyup216":1vclksv9 said:
He buys em at about 12 months open. If he buys em in summer he puts em on bermuda pasture for 3 months and turns em out with the bull at 15 months again on the bermuda pasture. If he buys em in the fall he buys em at 12 months and feeds them free choice ryegrass hay, and bermuda grass hay and turns em out on fescue pasture until they are 15 months old at which time he turns the bull out with em. He dont feed them grain cause he dont want to spend "to much money" on them. Hes afraid that by feeding grain he wont make as big a profit off of em. No he doesnt sale em immediately after breeding them. He writes the breeding date down that they were bred. Then he keeps em 4-5 months after the date they are bred sometimes more and takes em to the sale barn. From there the vet preg checks em and certifies em safe in calf. Then they go into the sale ring as bred replacements. Martin has alot of land and has a place where he can isolate sick cattle and treat em. He buys sick steers that dont go through the sale barn cuz noone wants em contaminating the place. Some have IBR, BVD, Etc and he keeps em alive, vaccinates em, worms em, gets to feeding them grain then sales em at about 600 weight steers. Martin has been around cattle all his life and used to work at a large animal vet as the vets assistant. He worked that job for 19 years. Im surprised he is able to keep them alive and make a profit on some of the decrepit animals he buys but he does.

So basically he buys them at 12 mos. and sells them around 20 mos. Can you sell them earlier and still get them certified safe in calf? Is it better to wait 4-5 months or can you wait maybe 2-3 months after bred? Lastly, what and how does he feed them after they are bred to the bull?

Price will depend on age. You can get weaned calves for $400 & up. A bred cow can be $700 & up. Price will also depend on breed. Remember that black hide is like gold.

Starting with polled herefords is not a bad idea. My husband does't like horns, but we raise Beefmasters and they have horns (go figure). If you approach your neighbor, he should be willing to help you pick the right cattle.

You might also consider going to a sale barn, just to see what is selling for what. It moves pretty fast, but after about 30 minutes, you get the rhythm.

BTRANCH":1c0rw5su said:
Price will depend on age. You can get weaned calves for $400 & up. A bred cow can be $700 & up. Price will also depend on breed. Remember that black hide is like gold.

Starting with polled herefords is not a bad idea. My husband does't like horns, but we raise Beefmasters and they have horns (go figure). If you approach your neighbor, he should be willing to help you pick the right cattle.

You might also consider going to a sale barn, just to see what is selling for what. It moves pretty fast, but after about 30 minutes, you get the rhythm.
if your husbend dont like horns get a polled beefmaster bull.the reg beefmaster bull that ive got is scurred.i dont like horns either.but most likely ill end up buying some horned reg beefmasters.

cowboyup216":ju5g0eiq said:
Also cfpinz what do you mean you would TURNMYCOWLOOSE? Not following you on that. Must have been an inside joke or something I dont get.

There used to be a poster who went by Turnthatcowloosemaw or something like that. Was very irritating

Latest posts