Horned cows with polled cows

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
I own a property that I don't live on but use it for my cows. My neighbor next door liked the idea of my cows so decided to get himself 1 of his own. Its a yearling Hereford steer, the cow has horns.

The cows on this property of mine are pets. Its a smaller property, 5 acres, and I only have my two pets living there.

The neighbor has his yearling in a tiny square. Id say its maybe .25 acre. Way too small. Cow has no ability to graze and is alone as they only have the 1.

Well my cows hate that this cow is next door. They have all broken down a few fences to check each other out. I also personally hate the fact that this is how my neighbours have decided to keep a cow. I don't think its the right environment for any animal.

So I offered to buy the yearling off my neighbor. But now I'm worried that because it has horns its going to kill my pets.

Would you worry about this? Both my pets are steers. They are also both bigger and older than the neighbours cow.

Is it crazy to worry? I have just never kept a cow with horns before...

When I made the deal I hadn't seen the cow only heard from my renters about it. Then I saw the horns and said I needed a day to think about this.

Not sure why someone would keep a steer for a pet unless it was broken to ride or pull a wagon but that's just me. A trip to the vet down there and horns can be surgically removed. Better for all concerned.

Why would a quarter acre be too small at the coast? Is it already eaten off or not growing anything?

gcreekrch said:
Not sure why someone would keep a steer for a pet unless it was broken to ride or pull a wagon but that's just me. A trip to the vet down there and horns can be surgically removed. Better for all concerned.

Why would a quarter acre be too small at the coast? Is it already eaten off or not growing anything?

The cow lives alone in a mud pit that's too small. Call me crazy but that aint no life.

The horned cow I would be buying wouldn't be a pet so I don't want to remove the horns. Is it ok to let them all live together or am I risking the safety of my pet cows?

No one needs to make sense of why I keep 2 steers as pets haha. They were born to a cow of mine that was dear to me that died a very tragic death. Her calves just earned a place on our farm.

If the new steer is the same size or larger I would at least take the tips off. Other than that you are fine.

Your comments are hard to follow. You say it's a yearling steer (castrated male) - but then you say there is a horned cow. Is the yearling steer the horned animal. A steer can be called "cattle" as a group, but not a COW (female bovine).
Maybe they are feeding him out for harvest (butcher) to put in their freezer.
Yes, a horned animal "can" hurt another animal (whether the other animal has horns or not). So, yes, a horned animal MAY hurt your pets.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Your comments are hard to follow. You say it's a yearling steer (castrated male) - but then you say there is a horned cow. Is the yearling steer the horned animal. A steer can be called "cattle" as a group, but not a COW (female bovine).
Maybe they are feeding him out for harvest (butcher) to put in their freezer.
Yes, a horned animal "can" hurt another animal (whether the other animal has horns or not). So, yes, a horned animal MAY hurt your pets.

Sorry yes I'm not using the word cow right.

Neighbours is a yearling steer with horns
I have 2 older steers, both angus no horns

I don't want to do anything to the horned steer. So I think what you're saying is yes it's a risk

I think the risk is pretty minimal if they have enough space and they're grazing. You might have problems if you're feeding grain or hay somewhere where they might be jockeying for position around a feeder.

Good fences make good neighbors! If the two property owners can't maintain a useful fence (in WI you are each responsible for half the length on adjoining properties), then the problem will continue....

Latest posts