Polled Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

I would look around and see what is the most common( it will be Black Angus) .. There you are likely to get the best quality for you buck...I love shorthorns, Gerts., and herfords...When I started my herd 1999 that is what I wanted..None to be found wery close or at a good price.. Went to 2 different Reg. polled Hereford breeds ..they would not sale(at any price) they wanted me to come to the Hereford sale and buy them...I tried to get both of them to give me a price based on their last animals sold, they would not....I found short breed F1 black baldies for 750 $ apice, from a good cattle herd. In hind sight that would have been my best buy...I bought 8 old Reg.Black Angus with 4 calves 3 females , 1 male from 2 to 4 mos. old..the others calved shortly. Out of the 8 old cows I started with they were all shot out and sold off by the third year.. I used a Reg. Black Angus bull frist two years, a Reg. polled Hereford the second two years and Black angus(reg.) the last 3 seasons... My herd is 10 pure(non-reg) BlackAngus , 7 (f-1), 6 (3/4) %, cows and 4 -yr old pure angus and 2 (7/8)yr old heifers and a couple of steers for killing. It was a slow start the frist three years, getting rid of the old cows and waiting 2 years to breed the calves( I try to breed my heifers at 20 to 24 mos.) I like to wait a little longer than some I believe it cut down on the calving problems....Enough bragging and now back to my point...I have black angus because the are ten times as common around here...Thus easy to find (good ones) at a good price.....Check with the cattle men around you, ask who has what, and call them, If you talk right you will find out a lot of info... If you are new to this game ..stay away from sale barn, old cows , and young breed heifers...Do not look to hard for deals...(They ain't) And no bottle calves...Buy 8 to14 mo old stock...get them to know you and at 20 to 24 mos. breed them to a low birth weight bull...You probly will be able to rent a Reg. Black Angus for 250$ from some one close by...Good luck...

One other note worthy of mention about Sale Barns and average pricing.

Many of the barns in this area are owned by fellers that wont let someone "Steal" your cattle. They open the bidding on about every single head that comes through the gates, thus assuring a decent price for your Cattle.One Barn not too far from here has changed hands about 8 months ago, and the new owners are not opening the bidding up as I believe they should. Prices there for the buyers, are not as strong as they should be.I can mention another facility, that I've sold at a lot 30 miles from here, and that owner is the most ethical feller,and wont let you get beat up.He's trained his Grandson to be the same way. Protect your Sellers.

alftn":1u2nvy2j said:
I would look around and see what is the most common( it will be Black Angus) .. There you are likely to get the best quality for you buck...I love shorthorns, Gerts., and herfords...When I started my herd 1999 that is what I wanted..None to be found wery close or at a good price.. Went to 2 different Reg. polled Hereford breeds ..they would not sale(at any price) they wanted me to come to the Hereford sale and buy them...I tried to get both of them to give me a price based on their last animals sold, they would not....I found short breed F1 black baldies for 750 $ apice, from a good cattle herd. In hind sight that would have been my best buy...I bought 8 old Reg.Black Angus with 4 calves 3 females , 1 male from 2 to 4 mos. old..the others calved shortly. Out of the 8 old cows I started with they were all shot out and sold off by the third year.. I used a Reg. Black Angus bull frist two years, a Reg. polled Hereford the second two years and Black angus(reg.) the last 3 seasons... My herd is 10 pure(non-reg) BlackAngus , 7 (f-1), 6 (3/4) %, cows and 4 -yr old pure angus and 2 (7/8)yr old heifers and a couple of steers for killing. It was a slow start the frist three years, getting rid of the old cows and waiting 2 years to breed the calves( I try to breed my heifers at 20 to 24 mos.) I like to wait a little longer than some I believe it cut down on the calving problems....Enough bragging and now back to my point...I have black angus because the are ten times as common around here...Thus easy to find (good ones) at a good price.....Check with the cattle men around you, ask who has what, and call them, If you talk right you will find out a lot of info... If you are new to this game ..stay away from sale barn, old cows , and young breed heifers...Do not look to hard for deals...(They ain't) And no bottle calves...Buy 8 to14 mo old stock...get them to know you and at 20 to 24 mos. breed them to a low birth weight bull...You probly will be able to rent a Reg. Black Angus for 250$ from some one close by...Good luck...

Just to give another viewpoint about breeding heifers; I go more by size than age. A heifer with potential to mature at moderate size, less than 1200 lbs., I believe can be safely bred at 750 lbs or greater. I just like to have them paying their way as soon as possible.