Help Support CattleToday:

Do you provide man made shelter for your cattle

• Yes, we use man made shelter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, we do not use man made shelter

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We don't for the cows, but we are planning to build a shelter before next winter. My hubby built a shelter for the calves. The rest are feed and housed in a barn, but can get outside.

No and yes. The small field with the working pen has a run-in. The field across from that has a run-in. The larger pasture and 'upper' pastures have natural shelter in the form of a few patches of cedars and pines.

Katherine

As for us we use a three sided shed and then move cows that have calved to an open pasture after the calf is a couple days old. But, this year has been so muddy and odd. We have been considering a new three sided shed with two sick pens (12x16 each)and the working alley located inside the building itself. Some of our cows stay inside and others will never go in and as muddy as it's been it's hard to give em even a dry spot to lay down to calve in, of course with a building it can cause more disease and health issues as well!

No, our cows did not have run in sheds. The way the corrals are constructed provided shelter from the wind, but they mostly sheltered in trees, and behind hills.

After the tornado, we only have one artificial shelter, and it's for shade...and that was constructed when we had boucoups feedlot steers, and, as luck would have it, the tornado didn't take it away. Fortunately, we also have nice groves of trees along the fencelines...and a much smaller herd of cattle.

Alice

300 acres of maples, pines, and cedar on the eastern side of my land...if the cows need any more shelter than that, then they are sh!t out of luck

We provide shelter (nothing fancy) because there isn't ANY natural shelter to be had.

My first year I built a nice loafing shed in our front pasture, they hardly use it, they find a fir tree to lay under or a bush to stick their head in. All my pastures have natural shelter.

Alan

No, I have 3 barns one 50 x 70, one 40 x 50, and one 45 x 60 foot. If i had to get a sick one in out of the weather i could do that. But i think most cattle would be about like a horse and stand out in the weather even if they had some sort of shelter. Anyway in my area they would but in some of you guys/gals who has deep snow and below zero temps it would probably be a altogether different ball game.

:) Lots of woods and hills and gullys. The show stock
have shelter( gotta keep em out of the sun! :roll: )
Also calving stalls for the occasional problem. ;-)

Yes, i have pole sheds. Up here some try to say cattle can get away without but those are the guys now complaining about cows losing frofen teats and not letting calves suck. We had a bad blizzard in Jan i know one guy who lost 35 cows that were out swath grazing the tried to hide in the trees but 1 1/2 feet of snow , -50 f with wind chill they just died from hypothermia another guy lost 45 cows trying to hide from blizzard went onto a half full dugout and the ice gave in the cows froze half in the water half out, really sad but i've heard of worse. Where i am it is just a really good idea to have shelters. Don't get me wrong cows have to work but i don't think they have to suffer.

skcatlman":2em8dfb0 said:
Yes, i have pole sheds. Up here some try to say cattle can get away without but those are the guys now complaining about cows losing frofen teats and not letting calves suck. We had a bad blizzard in Jan i know one guy who lost 35 cows that were out swath grazing the tried to hide in the trees but 1 1/2 feet of snow , -50 f with wind chill they just died from hypothermia another guy lost 45 cows trying to hide from blizzard went onto a half full dugout and the ice gave in the cows froze half in the water half out, really sad but i've heard of worse. Where i am it is just a really good idea to have shelters. Don't get me wrong cows have to work but i don't think they have to suffer.

We have a shed that thy can get into if I open the doors. When the ice storm hit I was glad I had opened it up. The cedar shelter belt that they usually hang out in during bad weather is mostl laying on the ground or broekn off about 10 feet above the ground.

dun

Yes, I do. Any pasture that the cows are on during the winter here is mud up to your eyeballs by this time of the year. My cows spend the winter on concrete and/or under a roof. I plan to pour more slab area and build more roof this summer.

out in the main pastures no shelter other than trees
when i bring some up to the main holding area i have a 24x36 shade built for shade only during the summer sun here in az
in ok, nope just a calving barn that is only used with hiefers

Unless a cow or calf is sick the only time or cows see a barn is when they are watching me put rolls in it or get them out.I like a good cedar or pine thicket for winter cedar or hardwoods in the summer.

Latest posts